New - Nuclear Thermal Rocket Corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NuclearRocket

Hey guys, check this new company out. They want to sell their engine to Space-X because they feel like the government will never get around to making an NTR (and Markusic says he wants one to put on a Falcon). http://www.bifrostkarnan.com
They have a monopoly on the technology since they've spent a lot of time gathering up all the old Rover/NERVA people to be on their side, so I think they have a rather good chance of pulling this off!

G

Gravity_Ray

I just dont think SpaceX would be the correct place for this technology right now. They are going to be very busy with COTS. I am still unsold on nuclear rockets for launching from Earth to LEO, but I am sold on this technology for travel in our solar system.

S

Skyskimmer

Gravity_Ray":2l9ve0lb said:
I just dont think SpaceX would be the correct place for this technology right now. They are going to be very busy with COTS. I am still unsold on nuclear rockets for launching from Earth to LEO, but I am sold on this technology for travel in our solar system.
Agreed, however I don't know what you mean by spacex having their hands full, I mean the next 24 months is crucial but after that, it should be pretty smoothly run, their whole bussiness model is run on keeping it light in terms of commitment to any one project.

N

NuclearRocket

Yeah, agreed. They say they are only going to build in-space engines. At least somebody's doing it, finally! :)

S

Skyskimmer

NuclearRocket":2royi9h8 said:
Yeah, agreed. They say they are only going to build in-space engines. At least somebody's doing it, finally! :)
I'm confused I made a thread asking about this, is this a semi response or just random chance that it'd happen in the same day.
Looks great but is their any info on how the pricing might work.

R

Ruri

I'd like to see NTRs brought back for trans lunar ferries and missions to Mars.
A good reusable NTR stage would allow a true return to the moon vs something that is just a PR stunt.
http://www.nss.org/settlement/moon/LANTR.html

But I just don't see them as viable LV engines yet the near future is reusable chemical rockets like Spacex's Merlin and air breathers like Reaction Engine's SABRE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts