Newton X-Ray Observer Benefits from Downtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

<i>Astronomers are getting the most out of Europe's XMM-Newton X-ray observatory by making it work even in those periods that might be considered downtime.<br /><br />Like all space telescopes, XMM follows an observing schedule, looking at an object for some hours before swinging away to study the next target.<br /><br />But scientists have been leaving the "shutter" open as its slews across the sky for some lucky dip observations.<br /><br />The technique has thrown up thousands of brilliant X-ray stars and galaxies.<br /><br />"About a quarter of the sky has been covered in this way, and it's all for free - XMM was not designed in the first place to do this," explained Dr Andy Read of Leicester University.<br /><br />"The telescope is so good at collecting X-rays that even when you look at a point in the sky for 10 seconds, you can find sources," he told the BBC News website.<br /><br />Star performer<br /><br />The XMM-Newton X-ray observatory has been one of the European Space Agency's prestige projects of recent years.<br /><br />Launched on the first to-orbit flight of an Ariane 5 rocket in 1999, XMM has helped to transform our understanding of the Universe.<br /><br />The emission of X-rays, or very shortwave light, from distant objects is usually an indicator of violent, energetic events - such as the explosion of a star, or gas falling into a black hole.<br /><br />XMM, with the huge collecting area of its many nested mirrors and the excellent efficiency of its EPIC X-ray camera-detector, is the most sensitive X-ray observatory ever flown.<br /><br />As a result, it is able to record unrivalled numbers of X-rays from the cosmos. </i><br /><br />Full Story <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

M

mikeemmert

<i>Damn</i> that's clever. What a great idea, far out. Give that man a bonus!

Status
Not open for further replies.