Noooooooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alek_a

Concerning nanotubes, I just had a lecture about the possible health risks of them. Involved is one of the biggest reinsurance companies, Re-Swiss, afraid that the fiasco with the asbestos would repeat again with nanotech. Namely nanotubes may be harmful in a way that they may damage tissue because of their small diameter and even pass inside the brain. <br /><br />The health risks of nanotubes (and nanotech in general) are getting some scientific attention now that Re-Swiss decided to fund research in the area. <br /><br />Maybe you already knew this on the other hand...

B

barrykirk

Well, this still doesn't rule out rotovators and other tethers.<br /><br />This is not the only problem that space elevators have.

Q

qso1

Theres a suprise, LOL. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

S

scottb50

One area nano-tubes might work well in in Hydrogen storage. Hydrogen atoms could fill the tubes like a sponge. If contained they would have minimal environmental exposure.<br /><br />Since Carbon is the main constituant of life I wonder if it is appropriate to compare nano-tubes to asbestos? Would it cause problems or would it be absorbed into the body, more food? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

ve7rkt

Your body processes carbon, sure, but it processes carbon from carbohydrates, proteins, etc. breaking them down with enzymes that work on those molecules and no other. As far as I understand it, you shouldn't be able to feed on nanotubes any easier than you can diamond or charcoal BBQ briquets.

P

publiusr

So maybe we can forget space elevators and go to supporting CaLV without distraction.

S

scottb50

I would agree on the diamond but the charcoal might have some effect. I think the effect of nano-tubes would be similar to asbestos, long strands of any strong fiber don't seem too healthy wrapping around my cells. Most of the Carbon your body takes in goes out. Breathing takes in Oxygen and exhausts Carbon Dioxide. Solid and liquid wastes are rich in Carbon compounds. Especially the Esters.<br /><br />The problem is that's Elemental Cabon, nano-tubes are solid bodies, just like the natural fibers of Asbestos. I don't see the body feeding on it that fast, though eventually it would probably break-down. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

enigma10

There will be other, better ways to get out into space. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"<font color="#333399">An organism at war with itself is a doomed organism." - Carl Sagan</font></em> </div>

N

nyarlathotep

Carbon nanotube will still be useful for making ultralight composite tanks. In large pressure fed systems they could more than cut dry mass in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts