NPR on Hawking and BH's

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Saiph

Wow, this is a hoot.<br /><br />"Who really understand Black Holes? One leading scientist who did, now says he was wrong."<br /><br /><br />Thats it. No names, no explaination. That's it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

H

heyscottie

Yeah...<br /><br />Most of the headlines I see go something along the lines of "Hawking admits he was wrong on Black Holes!"<br /><br />Then when you read the article, it mostly talks about his bet and how he sent the encyclopedia. There's no information about his solution at all. The most you get is that he has determined that matter can get out in "mangled" form.<br /><br />Hopefully, there will be new information before too long.<br /><br />

S

Saiph

I was just laughing at the headline. That's what they used to lead into the story, that was ~1 hour later. They just said that, and went onto another story. It was bizzare. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

D

drwayne

I heard the full story on the way home from work today. They talked for about 5 - 6 minutes about the issue that Hawking had changed his mind about.<br /><br />It was a pseudo-reasonable...well...not quite that good attempt to make the topic clear for intellectually challenged folks....they must have had me after a bad day at work today firmly in mind...<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>"1) Give no quarter; 2) Take no prisoners; 3) Sink everything."  Admiral Jackie Fisher</p> </div>

S

Saiph

Yeah, I heard it too. But that lead in was just...odd. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

P

paintwoik

Black hole formation and evaporation, can be thought of as a<br />scattering process. One sends in particles and radiation from<br />infinity, and measures what comes back out to infinity. All<br />measurements are made at infinity, where fields are weak, and one<br />never probes the strong field region in the middle. So one can't be<br />sure a black hole forms, no matter how certain it might be in<br />classical theory. I shall show that this possibility, allows<br />information to be preserved, and to be returned to infinity.<br /><br />I adopt the Euclidean approach, the only sane way to do quantum<br />gravity non-perturbative. In this, the time evolution of an initial<br />state, is given by a Path integral over all positive definite metrics,<br />that go between two surfaces, that are a distance T apart at<br />infinity. One then Wick rotates the time interval, T, to the<br />Lorentzian.<br /><br />The path integral is taken over metrics of all possible topologies,<br />that fit in between the surfaces. There is the trivial topology, the<br />initial surface, cross the time interval. Then there are the non<br />trivial topologies, all the other possible topologies. The trivial<br />topology can be foliated by a family of surfaces of constant time. The<br />path integral over all metrics with trivial topology, can be treated<br />canonically by time slicing. In other words, the time evolution<br />(including gravity) will be generated by a Hamiltonian. This will give<br />a unitary mapping from the initial surface, to the final.<br /><br />The non trivial topologies, can not be foliated by a family of<br />surfaces of constant time. There will be a fixed point in any time<br />evolution vector field on a non trivial topology. A fixed point in the<br />Euclidean regime, corresponds to a horizon in the Lorentzian. A small<br />change in the state on the initial surface, would propagate as a<br />linear wave, on the background of each metric in the path integral. If<br />the background contain

A

alokmohan

Such nes are sensitive and thats all.Scientific theories keep changing.Journalists sensenationalise

R

robnissen

I wish instead of referring to eons, the news reports would say how long Hawkings said it would take for info to come out of a black hole (if he said). I mean, if by eons Hawkings means hundreds of billions of years, the rest of the information, i.e. universe would probably be gone before any information could come out of a black hole. But, if on the other hand, by eons he meant less than say ten billion years, that could have intersesting implications for galaxies, such as ours that are anchored by a black hole. Hopefully, more information will come out of the black hole, that is the media, soon.

J

jatslo

<font color="yellow">The most you get is that he has determined that matter can get out in "mangled" form. </font><br /><br />Particle Annihilation: <br /><br />A] Alpha, Beta, and Gamma rays are emitted. B] Alpha, and Beta rays are charged masses. C] Gamma rays are absent of charges and masses. D] X-rays are emitted. E] Microwaves are emitted. F] Both X-rays and microwaves are mass less, with zero charge.<br /><br />We are talking about an infinite variety of types that are dictated by the element type and the speeds at which the particles are traveling prior to Particle Annihilation.<br /><br />Why is light not also subject to Particle Annihilation within a black hole? Is light converted to X-rays?<br /><br />Oh, black holes when starved will dissipate too.

J

jurgens

Jatslo, Light is energy... Energy, not a particle therefore it doesn't suffer from Particle Annihilation. Plus X-Rays and Gamma Rays are Light too, just higher energy light.

Status
Not open for further replies.