Obama withdraws funding for constellation

Page 15 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vulture4

Wane Hale said additional Shuttle launches weren't feasible because it would take 15 months to procure new parts. Although he apparently opposes extension, even with the timeline he gives it would still be faster than any alternative. If Shuttle isn't extended, some additional funds to SpaceX would speed up their timeline for human launch. And we should restart the RLV program to finally make human spaceflight practical.

I support the Administration's efforts to finally cancel Constellation, not because I am a "Constellation hater", but because I know how difficult it is to get even one tax dollar for critical research that will save people's lives. The billions still going into Constellation will not provide any useful benefits and the congressional fight to continue pumping in dollars is simply wrong.

The components chosen for Constellation, the segmented solid fuel booster, the very tall rocket on the already tall MLP, the capsule that has to be recovered at sea, all increased operating cost and reduced productivity. The Ares is as expensive to launch as the Shuttle, but would do less after years of delay. The Orion capsule is not designed for or suitable as a supply ship for the ISS. The public, whether Republican or Democrat, will not pay the additional taxes that would be needed for BEO flight with Constellation technology.

If both Shuttle and Constellation are canceled, it would still be wrong for For NASA to dream up ad hoc projects like launch pad refurbishment and new boosters just to create jobs. LC-39 was built around the Saturn V and the Shuttle was built around LC-39. LC-39, the VAB, the MLPs and crawlers, impressive as they are to the eye, are very expensive to maintain compared to the more modern launch complexes. If Shuttle is canceled it doesn't make sense to continue to use it.

There are numerous projects NASA could support with modest funding that could bring practical advances in spaceflight, aeronautics, the environment and medical science, to increase productivity of American industry, protect our environment and save lives. Instead of just tossing billions into projects to create jobs, let's take a little time to discuss all the alternatives. If we take the taxpayers' money, we need to produce practical benefits.

R

rockett

SteveCNC":1bazj0l2 said:
Yeah hard to say how this ones going to end up , I'm not putting money on anything just yet .
Me neither, but in these political showdowns from what I have seen over the years, the space program is the loser.
1. Decisions are made that don't make engineering sense.
2. Programs are changed or even made up that sap funding.
3. If a compromise is crafted, generally nothing gets done because of the loser stalling things.
4. Even the constituants are hurt, and blame is liberally spread around by both sides.

S

stevekk

vulture4":2unf3mmv said:
If both Shuttle and Constellation are canceled, it would still be wrong for For NASA to dream up ad hoc projects like launch pad refurbishment and new boosters just to create jobs. LC-39 was built around the Saturn V and the Shuttle was built around LC-39. LC-39, the VAB, the MLPs and crawlers, impressive as they are to the eye, are very expensive to maintain compared to the more modern launch complexes. If Shuttle is canceled it doesn't make sense to continue to use it.

I assume the crawlers are history after the Shuttle program is finished. They probably need major refurbishment now anyway, correct ?

The VAB is built to withstand Hurricane force winds. I was wondering what would happen down at the SpaceX complex when the next hurricane decides to hit Florida in the mid-section. Do they have any structures capable of protecting their rocket from 100+ mph wind gusts ?

R

RVHM

According to fanbois, SpaceX buildings could withstand falling into a black hole. :roll:

V

vulture4

stevekk":slfikpnv said:
vulture4":slfikpnv said:

I assume the crawlers are history after the Shuttle program is finished. They probably need major refurbishment now anyway, correct ?

The VAB is built to withstand Hurricane force winds. I was wondering what would happen down at the SpaceX complex when the next hurricane decides to hit Florida in the mid-section. Do they have any structures capable of protecting their rocket from 100+ mph wind gusts ?

The crawlers are a spectacular anachronism. Tell engineer in the world you need to move hundreds of tons back and forth over the same short path, and 100% of them will tell you to use steel wheels on steel rails, because the power and maintenance requirements are far lower and the positioning so accurate a separate support system isn't needed. Rails cost MUCH less to operate. The crawlerway has to be built of rounded stones (imported, as there are no rocks in Florida) and they have to be periodically dug up and replaced because they shatter under the load of the crawlers. Use of tracked vehicles and the huge MLPs was a decision made over forty years ago at a time when cost was no object and time was short, and we have been paying for it ever since.

Take a look at the poor VAB after Hurricane Francis got done with it - whole wall sections blown off, and months and months of repairs. Thanks to its efficient horizontal integration the SpaceX hanger is very low to the ground, curved, and much less susceptible to wind damage, and the whole thing could be replaced at a fraction of the cost ot VAB maintenance.

ig216_17.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.