Origins of the Universe, Big Bang or No Bang.

Page 5 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

harrycostas

G'day from the land of ozz

oops for some reason this link was not posted

http://arxiv.org/abs/0904.1697
A Model For The WMAP Anomalous Ecliptic Plane Signal

Authors: H.N. Sharpe
(Submitted on 10 Apr 2009)

Abstract: A simple model is presented to explain the high Galactic latitude anomalies in the WMAP data recently reported by Diego et al (2009). It is suggested that the anomalous deviation from a thermal spectrum could be caused by the propagation of background thermal radiation through a foreground optically thin HII cloud. The background radiation may be the remnant of cooling radio lobes associated with once-active jets from Sgr A*.

C

csmyth3025

Perhaps I'm missing something. Do the two papers you linked to have anything to do with the Big Bang (pro or con)?

harrycostas said:
G'day from the land of ozzzzzz

The information is out there, self dicovery is OK

Here are two papers that may be of interest. Showing a direct relationship between CMBR anisotropy and astrophysical structure.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

Harry, instead of posting numerous links to papers for us to read through and try to understand how they relate to the subject, could you please post how they relate (not just quotes), but how you feel they relate to our discussion. I noticed you posted very little, but quote a lot. It just makes it easier for people to understand, and it's less reading for those who do not wish to read through the entire paper to see if it really does relate to the topic at hand.

I do agree with you csmyth3025 that the ever going argument as to if the universe is actually expanding or not MUST be definatively clear before this discussion can have the foundation for the Big Bang or No Big Bang concept to have any progress. Now that the very devices we use to measure the expansion of the universe have come into question, it makes it more difficult to resolve this issue without proper evidence either proving or disproving the accuracy of these devices. To my understand of present data collected, the universe is expanding... though I believed our analysis was correct, others do not. This is a big one to resolve. I can see this taking a long time to resolve without the properly trained people who work on the device or are experts in the field to post here, or provide this sort of information on the WMAP website, etc...

M

MeteorWayne

harrycostas":1i812i8t said:

The information is out there, self dicovery is OK

Here are two papers that may be of interest. Showing a direct relationship between CMBR anisotropy and astrophysical structure.

Harry, can you please demonstate or at least discuss how this is related to the topic of this discussion, or desist from posting unrelated links?

Meteor Wayne, Moderator

C

csmyth3025

If we must establish the foundations of the claim that the Universe is expanding, then I suppose we should start at the beginning. Does anyone question the Michelson-Morley observation that the speed of light is measured to be the same regardless of the observer's orientation or motion?
Chris

H

harrycostas

G'day from the land of ozzzzz

Sorry I thought the ABS explained the point.

M

MeteorWayne

Well why don't you explain it once in a while instead of just carpet bombing us with links.

D

dangineer

I personally agree with the Big Bang model, since there seems to be quite a bit of evidence that it happened (expanding universe, CMB, etc.). However, for the sake of discussion, maybe someone can point out a plausible alternative theory.

N

noblackhole

TheOneRaven: Thank you noblackhole. Yes, the discussion is most definately for or against the Big Bang. When you mentioned that the relativists hijacked the Hubble-Humason relation and reinterpreted it as a redshift/recessional-velocity, I was certain that in 1912 Vesto Slipher measured the first Doppler shift of a spiral galaxies, and soon discovered that almost all such nebulae were receding from Earth, hence the first mention of the recessional-velocity of galaxies. Doesn't sound like the idea was hijacked, but rather originated as a recessional-velocity to begin with. Much in between, but then there is Hubble's observations, etc... Not to redicule you or anything, but what I'm looking at is all the work done by these people as a whole point to a universal expansion."

Nonetheless, the Hubble-Humason relation was adduced by them as a redshift/distance relation, not a redshift/recessional-velocity relation. The relativists simply altered it to a redshift/recessional-velocity relation because they wanted it to comply with their theory of expansion of the Universe from a primevial atom (big bang). Slipher measured shifts in spectra of galaxies, both to the blue and to the red. It is claimed that the red shifts indicategalactic recessional velocities; by means of Doppler Shift; the blue shift an approaching galactic velocity, again by invoking the Doppler Shift argument. So the interpretation of both blue and red shifts as approach and recessional velocities respectively are reliant upon the Doppler interpretation in all cases.

"In 1912 Slipher obtained a set of spectrographs that indicated the Andromeda spiral was approaching the Sun with a velocity of 300 km/s. Most of the other spirals he examined, however, seemed to be flying away from us. His 1925 catalogue, which included the radial velocities of almost all of the 44 known spirals, provided powerful evidence that these systems lays outside our galaxy and paved the way for Edwin Hubble's discovery of the expanding universe."

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/S/Slipher_Vesto.html

Slipher's most important achievement however was his determination of the radial velocities of spiral nebulae by the measurement of the displacement of their spectral lines. Such measurement relies on the Doppler effect by which the wavelength of light from an object moving away from an observer will be lengthened, i.e., shifted toward the red end of the spectrum, while light from an object moving toward an observer will have its wavelength shortened, i.e., moved toward the blue end of the spectrum.

http://www.answers.com/topic/vesto-slipher

But the Hubble-Humason relation was determined by them as a redshift/distance relation, not as a redshift/recessional-velocity relation. Concerning Slipher,

In 1912, he was the first to observe the shift of spectral lines of galaxies, so he was the discoverer of galactic redshifts. ... Edwin Hubble was generally incorrectly credited with discovering the redshift of galaxies; these measurements and their significance were understood before 1917 by James Edward Keeler (Lick & Allegheny), Vesto Melvin Slipher (Lowell), and William Wallace Campbell (Lick) at other observatories.

Combining his own measurements of galaxy distances with Vesto Slipher's measurements of the redshifts associated with the galaxies, Hubble and Milton Humason discovered a rough proportionality of the objects' distances with their redshifts. This redshift-distance correlation, nowadays termed simply Hubble's law, was formulated by Hubble and Humason in 1929 and became the basis for the modern model of the expanding universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesto_Slipher

Using exposure times as long as 80 hours, he was the first to measure the enormous radial velocities of spiral nebulae; these data were later used and extended by Edwin P. Hubble to begin modern observational cosmology.
http://www.phys-astro.sonoma.edu/BruceMedalists/Slipher/index.html

He was a pioneer of spectroscopy, and discovered the rotation and the high radial velocities (in 1912) of those "nebulae" we now know as galaxies.
http://messier.obspm.fr/xtra/Bios/slipher.html

What Slipher measured were spectral shifts, not radial velocities. The claim for radial velocities of galaxies is due to the Doppler argument. Hubble and Humason also measured spectral shifts, not radial velocities, which they related as redshift/distance. Nobody has ever measured galactic radial velocities, either approaching or receeding. All have measured galactic spectral shifts, and attribute them to Doppler, and so claim the redshift/recessional-velocity, ignoring any blue shifts by Doppler interpretation. By attributing the galactic spectral red shifts to Doppler the relativists contrive for themselves a correlation with their erroneous theory of big BANG and concomitant expansion from General Relativity. But General Relativity violates the usual conservation of energy and momentum and so is in direct conflict with the experimental evidence, and so it is invalid (see my previous post).

TheOneRaven: "My mention of the earth needing to be at the center of the universe without the Big Bang is because the recessional-velocities of all measured nebulas seems to be moving away from the earth according to Hubble and others who followed his work, including measurements with todays technology seemed to verify the recession."

You have simply employed the ad hoc reformulation of the Hubble-Humanson redshift/distance relation as a redshift/recessional-velocity relation by the Dopper argument. What evidence do you have that the galactic redshifts and the galactic blueshifts are due to Doppler effects? How do you interpret the galactic blueshifts, also found by Slipher?

TheOneRaven: "When I look at any reasoning behind one of great astrophysical intelligence to cover up errors only to prove bogus theories, I can not rationalize the purpose. Science is about learning and discovery. Every scientist that I know about wants to learn, and to come to accurate result to better understand what it is their studying. No one ever learned anything by making falsifications in their experiments, only that one cannot have self-satisfaction nor accurate results. It is elementary that anyone utilizing equations to prove their theories would ensure those very equations are accurate to begin with, and ensure their pupils following in their foot steps would also adopt these methods."

Do you really think that scientists are so different to most people? Do you really think that scientists do not take deliberate measures to protect their work and reputations, their jobs and their funding grants? Do you really think that scientists are any more honest than the populace at large? Science is indeed about learning and discovering, as a discipline. It does not follow that all those who do science are motivated only by the satisfaction of learning and discovery. The reality is that scientists are no different to most other people. They are no less greedy, envious, self-centered, career laddered, disingenuous and petty as any other element of society. And so they, severally and jointly, deliberately use all the usual tricks in the book to further their careers, status, and bank accounts. As a case in point, the proponents of the big bang and associated paraphernalia on this site have been silent on the matters I reported in my previous post. Silence is a common method of deliberately avoiding the facts: but it is not a scientific method.

You cannot prove a theory by equations. A theory is never absolute. Physical theory lives or dies by the sword of experiment. A mathematical theory must be consistent with the rules of mathematics and with the physical principles that set the boundary conditions of the mathematical model. If the mathematical theory violates the rules of mathematics it is invalid. If the mathematical theory violates the physical principles upon which the theory is based, them it is invalid. If the mathematical theory violates both the rules of mathematics and the physical principles on which it is based, it is invalid. If the mathematical theory violates well-established experimental facts, then it is invalid. The theoretical basis for the big bang is General Relativity. But General Relativity violates both the rules of mathematics and the usual conservation of energy and momentum, and so it is invalid (see my previous post). Thus, the big bang has no basis in General Relativity. The alleged observational evidence for the big bang has also been deliberately misconstrued in order to fudge a match with an erroneous theory.

TheOneRaven: "If as you say the WMAP and COBE are inaccurate, what sort of technology would you suggest to gain accurate data. I know I couldn't imagine one. That line of technology is beyond me. It just seems that we have these theories of all these great minds, then we create technology to examine from space to see if these theories are indeed true. The technology provides positive results, but again the question remains "Is the technology accurate?" Besides the one source you mentioned, which neutral party would have these answers?"

I am neither an experimental science nor a technologist, and so I can't come up with any experiments or any apparatus for them. Current technology can tell us much, provided it is used correctly, that the data obtained are not doctored to favour a desired or preconceived outcome, provided that experiments are not designed to produce a preconceived or desired result. Neutral parties have provided critical analyses of WMAP and COBE, and of the theory upon which they rely. Robitaille is one such party, Crothers another. There are many others. But being neutral parties they are not members of the right 'clubs', and so the club members do their usual utmost to ignore them, ridicule them, and pretend that legitimate criticisms do not exist, pretending that these are 'scientific methods'. Free and open discussion is the hallmark of science. Every interested person has the right to know all the facts so that they can come to a conclusion based upon all the evidence. Unfortunately, proponents of the big bang and associated, such as black holes and Einstein gravitational waves, do not give people all the facts, being selective in what they do give, because the full complement of facts subverts their claims. Here is a recept paper by Prof. Robitaille, on the COBE project; hot off the presses:

Robitaille P.-M.
COBE: A Radiological Analysis
http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/ ... -19-03.PDF

TheOneRaven: "I also wondered why no publisher for the Annalen der Physik picked up on ANY of Einstein's errors before. There are only a select few that challenge Einstein's theories. I would also be certain that if Crother's paper prove beyond shadow of doubt that Einstein, Friedmann, Hubble, etc... that the IAU (International Astronaumical Society) or the RAS (Royal Astronaumical Society) would have picked up on it, and accepted it. Discovering errors is only one part of science. The other is learning from them."

The falsities in Einstein's arguments should not have escaped the eyes of the Editors of Annalen der Physik. In fact, many people did spot Einstein's errors e.g. Schrodinger, Bauer, Levi-Civita, Lorentz. And once again, scientists are no different to non-scientists - they are mostly motivated by the same things, and so there is no reason to expect the like of the IAU, the RAS, etc. to accept the facts when the facts subvert their cherished theories. Inconvenient truths are ignored or hushed up or suppressed. I have given previously an extract from a recent paper by Crothers: I refer you to it once again, and the cited paper by Crothers. What errors, if any, do you allege of Crothers in the extract of my previous post, and why are they errors?

TheOneRaven: "But this brings me to another point. If light can be bent as Einstein proved during a solar eclipse in his younger years, then would light also not exhibit the same "drag" as say... I guess the example that comes to mind at present is a jet. As a jet banks left or right at a high rate of speed; it's momentum is slowed. Could the momentum of light on the larger scales exhibit this same affect and cause a red-shift of sorts?"

Einstein did not prove bending of light in a gravitational field; he claimed on theoretical grounds that light would be deflected by the presence of a massive body. Isaac Newton was in fact the first to make the hypothesis, not Einstein, but Einstein gave a quantitative claim. The deflection of light can be accounted for without recourse to General Relativity (see for example the paper by Prof. B. Lavenda):

http://search.arxiv.org:8081/paper.jsp? ... B.+Lavenda

What would cause the drag on light, assuming the light moving in a vacuum? The atmosphere exerts a drag on a jet. The banking of a jet involves a change in momentum and so an acceleration. The bending of light involves a change of direction and so an acceleration, i.e. a rate of change of momentum. I don't see how this can be associated with redshifts in the fashion you suggest.

H

harrycostas

G'day from the land of ozzzzzzz

If redshift is disputed and found to be wrong than what next?

This following link says that Redshift can be interpreted differently.

Possible Interpretations of the Magnitude-Redshift Relation for Supernovae of Type IA
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-b ... 25d4714244
It has been shown by Riess et al. and Perlmutter et al. that the observed redshift-magnitude relation for supernovae of type Ia, which suggests that the deceleration parameter q0 is negative, can be explained in a Friedmann model with a positive cosmological constant. We show that a quasi-steady state cosmology (QSSC) model can also fit the supernova data. Since most of the emphasis and publicity have been concentrated on explanations involving the Friedmann model, we show how a good fit can be obtained to the observations in the framework of the QSSC. Using this model, we show that absorption due to intergalactic dust may play an important role. This may explain why a few of the supernovae observed show large deviations from the curve determined by the majority of the data.

Redshift can also be formed from various mechanisms such as

Year Originator Mechanism
1917 Einstein Electromagnetic repulsion
1929 Zwicky Gravitational drag
1937 Hubble Gravitational interaction
1949 Tolman Extended expansion hypothesis
1949 Weyl Quantum gravity
1954 Finlay-Freundlic Photon-Photon interaction
1964 Fürth Curved photon path
1972 Pecker et al. Photon-Photon interaction
1974 Hoyle-Narlikar Variable mass interaction
1975 Konitz Non-Euclidean geometry
1976 Pecker et al. Photon-scalar U-particle interaction
1976 Segal Global and local time hypothesis
1976 Jaakkola G-E coupling
1979 Crawford Tidal force in curved space
1981 Tifft Variable mass
1981 Broberg Elementary quantum interaction
1984 Ghosh Velocity-dependent inertial induction
1986 Wolf Thermal correlations at source
1986 Mathé Global and local time hypothesis
1986 Pecker-Vigier Gravitational drag in Dirac ether

and there is more

S

SpeedFreek

Harry, I hope you realise that the paper you linked does not refute the idea of an expanding universe. It just shows that the SNIa data can, using certain assumptions about intergalactic dust, be made to fit a model where the known expansion is not accelerating and thus can be made to fit a quasi-steady state expansion model. Unfortunately, the QSSC models have a few problems to overcome when compared to the Friedmann models.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

Good morning noblackhole, and again thank you. That was a wonderful post. The debate with you is always intriguing. It was a lot of reading, but I'm sure mine was as well. I have proposed that these debates be brought into their own forum to help assist in the reduction of threads in the Space, Science & Astronomy forum, as well to better assist those wishing to keep up with the debates.

noblackhole":w3c00yxp said:
]Nonetheless, the Hubble-Humason relation was adduced by them as a redshift/distance relation, not a redshift/recessional-velocity relation. The relativists simply altered it to a redshift/recessional-velocity relation because they wanted it to comply with their theory of expansion of the Universe from a primevial atom (big bang). Slipher measured shifts in spectra of galaxies, both to the blue and to the red. It is claimed that the red shifts indicategalactic recessional velocities; by means of Doppler Shift; the blue shift an approaching galactic velocity, again by invoking the Doppler Shift argument. So the interpretation of both blue and red shifts as approach and recessional velocities respectively are reliant upon the Doppler interpretation in all cases.

Actually this bulletin from Vesto Slipher (Lowell Observatory) depicts that Slipher indeed was studying velocity and not distance as you suggest. Included are his explanations of the devices he was using to calculate these measurements:
http://www.roe.ac.uk/~jap/slipher/slipher_1913.pdf

Slipher's most important achievement however was his determination of the radial velocities of spiral nebulae by the measurement of the displacement of their spectral lines. Such measurement relies on the Doppler effect by which the wavelength of light from an object moving away from an observer will be lengthened, i.e., shifted toward the red end of the spectrum, while light from an object moving toward an observer will have its wavelength shortened, i.e., moved toward the blue end of the spectrum.
http://www.answers.com/topic/vesto-slipher

But the Hubble-Humason relation was determined by them as a redshift/distance relation, not as a redshift/recessional-velocity relation. Concerning Slipher,

In 1912, he was the first to observe the shift of spectral lines of galaxies, so he was the discoverer of galactic redshifts. ... Edwin Hubble was generally incorrectly credited with discovering the redshift of galaxies; these measurements and their significance were understood before 1917 by James Edward Keeler (Lick & Allegheny), Vesto Melvin Slipher (Lowell), and William Wallace Campbell (Lick) at other observatories.

I do agree with you in the above quote. Hubble was indeed incorrectly credited.

What Slipher measured were spectral shifts, not radial velocities. The claim for radial velocities of galaxies is due to the Doppler argument. Hubble and Humason also measured spectral shifts, not radial velocities, which they related as redshift/distance. Nobody has ever measured galactic radial velocities, either approaching or receeding. All have measured galactic spectral shifts, and attribute them to Doppler, and so claim the redshift/recessional-velocity, ignoring any blue shifts by Doppler interpretation. By attributing the galactic spectral red shifts to Doppler the relativists contrive for themselves a correlation with their erroneous theory of big BANG and concomitant expansion from General Relativity. But General Relativity violates the usual conservation of energy and momentum and so is in direct conflict with the experimental evidence, and so it is invalid (see my previous post).

In the bulletin I link to above, Vesto mentions how he was able to utilize the spectrogram you suggest, but for measuring the radial velocity (in his own words) of the Andromeda galaxy and other galaxies. He also lists some of his velocity measurements. Slipher also mentions in his 1914 paper regarding nebulae rotation:
Vesto Slipher":w3c00yxp said:
A spectrogram of the Virgo Nebula, N.G.C. 4594, made a year ago showed the nebular lines to be inclined. A second plate was immediately undertaken but failed, through exasperating circumstances, of a sufficient exposure-although it verified as far as it went, the inclination; and I resolved to withhold any announcement until a second satisfactory plate might be obtained. This observation is now available and fully confirms those of a year ago. The inclination of the lines which is analogous to that produced by the diurnal rotation of a planet, is unmistakable and leads one directly to the conclusion that the nebula is rotating about an axis. Although from the time of LaPlace it has been thought that nebulae rotate, this actual observation of the rotation is almost as unexpected as was the discovery that they possessed enormously high velocities. The fact that this nebula has a radial velocity of fully thousand kilometers per second, as established here a year ago, makes it not so surprising that it should also be rotating rapidly.

So by this we can conclude that Slipher while recognizing the radial velocities of galaxies, also understood these velocities should also affect the rotation of the galaxy as well.

You have simply employed the ad hoc reformulation of the Hubble-Humanson redshift/distance relation as a redshift/recessional-velocity relation by the Dopper argument. What evidence do you have that the galactic redshifts and the galactic blueshifts are due to Doppler effects? How do you interpret the galactic blueshifts, also found by Slipher?

Actually the evidence is in Sliphers work. He concluded that Andromeda was blue shifted towards Violet as because it was approaching our galaxy at a high velocity, while other galaxies were red shifted as they were moving away at high velocity. Knut Lundmark worked on studying Sliphers work to determine if it was indeed properly measured and not just a doppler shift. Lundmark also mentions the point to which out local cluster might be orbiting, as well the time taken for one orbit to occur on Page 1 Para. 2. But definitely checked the accuracy of Sliphers work as they were both aware of the method top which they derived the radical velocity. So I never "ad hoc"'d anything. It's in the history books.

(Page numbering according to Adobe Reader not physical document)
http://www.roe.ac.uk/~jap/slipher/lundmark_1924.pdf
This document is a very lengthy read. I am still going through it myself. But it includes pointed out errors (as seen in Fig.1 Pg 7), but concludes the radial velocities of galaxies vs doppler shift.

Do you really think that scientists are so different to most people? Do you really think that scientists do not take deliberate measures to protect their work and reputations, their jobs and their funding grants? Do you really think that scientists are any more honest than the populace at large? Science is indeed about learning and discovering, as a discipline. It does not follow that all those who do science are motivated only by the satisfaction of learning and discovery. The reality is that scientists are no different to most other people. They are no less greedy, envious, self-centered, career laddered, disingenuous and petty as any other element of society. And so they, severally and jointly, deliberately use all the usual tricks in the book to further their careers, status, and bank accounts. As a case in point, the proponents of the big bang and associated paraphernalia on this site have been silent on the matters I reported in my previous post. Silence is a common method of deliberately avoiding the facts: but it is not a scientific method.

Actually all through the history of astronomy many people have checked each others work as it often laid the foundation arguments for their own work. If the foundations of their work were proved to be falsified, it would be of further embarrassment to them, and they would not get the recognition they feel they deserved. There are many, many observers in the astronomical field. It would be futile to lie as observation would prove otherwise. I'm not sure how you determine a cover-up would save them from losing funding. If a theory was proven wrong, then funding would be required to work on the new one. All forms of government are aware of the progress's in science, and the fact things change over time and with the advancements in technology.

You cannot prove a theory by equations. A theory is never absolute. Physical theory lives or dies by the sword of experiment. A mathematical theory must be consistent with the rules of mathematics and with the physical principles that set the boundary conditions of the mathematical model. If the mathematical theory violates the rules of mathematics it is invalid. If the mathematical theory violates the physical principles upon which the theory is based, them it is invalid. If the mathematical theory violates both the rules of mathematics and the physical principles on which it is based, it is invalid. If the mathematical theory violates well-established experimental facts, then it is invalid. The theoretical basis for the big bang is General Relativity. But General Relativity violates both the rules of mathematics and the usual conservation of energy and momentum, and so it is invalid (see my previous post). Thus, the big bang has no basis in General Relativity. The alleged observational evidence for the big bang has also been deliberately misconstrued in order to fudge a match with an erroneous theory.

I think you should read over an earlier link I posted to the Misconceptions of the Big Bang. I don't really see a violation personally. But again, I am not mathematician.

http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~aes/AST105/Readings/misconceptionsBigBang.pdf

I am neither an experimental science nor a technologist, and so I can't come up with any experiments or any apparatus for them. Current technology can tell us much, provided it is used correctly, that the data obtained are not doctored to favour a desired or preconceived outcome, provided that experiments are not designed to produce a preconceived or desired result. Neutral parties have provided critical analyses of WMAP and COBE, and of the theory upon which they rely. Robitaille is one such party, Crothers another. There are many others. But being neutral parties they are not members of the right 'clubs', and so the club members do their usual utmost to ignore them, ridicule them, and pretend that legitimate criticisms do not exist, pretending that these are 'scientific methods'. Free and open discussion is the hallmark of science. Every interested person has the right to know all the facts so that they can come to a conclusion based upon all the evidence. Unfortunately, proponents of the big bang and associated, such as black holes and Einstein gravitational waves, do not give people all the facts, being selective in what they do give, because the full complement of facts subverts their claims. Here is a recept paper by Prof. Robitaille, on the COBE project; hot off the presses:

Robitaille P.-M.

I am sure there will always be cliques in any form of an organization you come across, and yes I also agree that you must achieve a certain status to gain membership without contradicting their foundation beliefs too much. However if I were a astronomer (and I think most of today's astronomers agree) that I wouldn't be concerning myself with a clique membership, but the science before me, and yet to be discovered. That is were the true thrill lies.

The falsities in Einstein's arguments should not have escaped the eyes of the Editors of Annalen der Physik. In fact, many people did spot Einstein's errors e.g. Schrodinger, Bauer, Levi-Civita, Lorentz. And once again, scientists are no different to non-scientists - they are mostly motivated by the same things, and so there is no reason to expect the like of the IAU, the RAS, etc. to accept the facts when the facts subvert their cherished theories. Inconvenient truths are ignored or hushed up or suppressed. I have given previously an extract from a recent paper by Crothers: I refer you to it once again, and the cited paper by Crothers. What errors, if any, do you allege of Crothers in the extract of my previous post, and why are they errors?

Since this was before Einstein was real popular, what would have been the motivational factor to allow any falsifications through? I don't really see it in this case. Trust me, I search for cover-up within many things myself. But I think in this case it's more of propaganda then anything.

What would cause the drag on light, assuming the light moving in a vacuum? The atmosphere exerts a drag on a jet. The banking of a jet involves a change in momentum and so an acceleration. The bending of light involves a change of direction and so an acceleration, i.e. a rate of change of momentum. I don't see how this can be associated with redshifts in the fashion you suggest.

My analogy would include a curvature velocity while passing through particles, dust, gases, etc... as it passes through space. Here on Earth gravity does indeed case the drag. But in space perhaps other such mediums could cause drag is all I meant, and wondered if it were possible.

H

harrycostas

COBE and WMAP are in serious trouble. Attached are recent papers by Prof. Pierre-Marie Robitaille of Ohio State University; one hot off the presses. They, and others, can be downloaded (as appended).

Yours faithfully,
Stephen J. Crothers.

Robitaille P.-M.

Robitaille P.-M.
WMAP: A Radiological Analysis
http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/ ... -08-01.PDF

Robitaille P.-M.
On the Origins of the CMB: Insight from the COBE, WMAP, and Relikt-1 Satellites
http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/ ... -08-02.PDF

Robitaiile P.-M.
On the Earth Microwave Background: Absorption and Scattering by the Atmosphere
http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/ ... -10-01.PDF

Robitaille P.-M.
On the Nature of the Microwave Background at the Lagrange 2 Point. Part I
http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/ ... -11-11.PDF

Robitaille P.-M.
The Earth Microwave Background (EMB), Atmospheric Scattering and the Generation of Isotropy
http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/ ... -13-24.PDF

Robitaille P.-M.
Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Emission: 150 Years
http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/ ... -19-01.PDF

Robitaille P.-M.
Blackbody Radiation and the Loss of Universality: Implications for Planck's Formulation and Boltzman's Constant
http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/ ... -19-02.PDF

http://www.springer.com/astronomy/gener ... 42-00791-0

S

SpeedFreek

None of those links actually work - they just point to a root directory. I am not prepared to data-mine the information, you should describe, in this thread, how you interpret Robitaille's findings.

Ever wonder why Robitaille doesn't get his work published in a reputable journal?

Ever wonder why Stephen J. Crothers failed his PHD?

Ever wonder why a guy who threw everything away by basing his thesis on a misconception, can become an editor for a less than reputable journal, and end up debating these subjects here?

D

dangineer

So far in this thread, I don't think anybody has been really been able to discount the fact that the universe, observed from our vantage point, seems to be expanding. Perhaps someone can pose a theory that provides an explanation for what we observe that doesn't involve an expanding universe. I thinking the most difficult part of the Big Bang Theory to refute is the source of the Cosmic Microwave Background. Maybe we can start there by asking what other phenomenon could cause this observation?

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

SpeedFreek":1xdd4bip said:
None of those links actually work - they just point to a root directory. I am not prepared to data-mine the information, you should describe, in this thread, how you interpret Robitaille's findings.

Ever wonder why Robitaille doesn't get his work published in a reputable journal?

Ever wonder why Stephen J. Crothers failed his PHD?

Ever wonder why a guy who threw everything away by basing his thesis on a misconception, can become an editor for a less than reputable journal, and end up debating these subjects here?

I really don't want to come across as attacking a person personally, because I'm not. I know what that's like. But I have to say Speedfreak, you hit the nail right on the head. All I think harrycostas did was look up Robitaille because noblackhole uses his work to debate the WMAP & COBE data. However, this data is just confirming what the accepted theories have been saying all along. Crothers, well he is a whole other hot topic all in itself. (Really don't want to explore that avenue of discussion again), while he still makes for a well debated discussion.

Harry, you really should review the documents you link to. Then utilize the information within them to show how they relate to the discussion, and how they support your point of view.

C

csmyth3025

dangineer":396qp8zz said:
So far in this thread, I don't think anybody has been really been able to discount the fact that the universe, observed from our vantage point, seems to be expanding. Perhaps someone can pose a theory that provides an explanation for what we observe that doesn't involve an expanding universe. I thinking the most difficult part of the Big Bang Theory to refute is the source of the Cosmic Microwave Background. Maybe we can start there by asking what other phenomenon could cause this observation?

Once again, dangineer, you're right on the money. The OP subject: "Big Bang or No Big Bang?" begs the question "... what other phenomenon [other than the Big Bang] could cause this observation [the Cosmic Microwave Background]?". I'd be most interested in reading an alternate explanation from harrycostas, et al, rather than sifting through a list of search engine results - unless the links cited specifically support portions of the explanation.
Chris

H

harrycostas

G'day

If there is an error in Redshift data then 1000's of papers that were dependent would go out the window and what then?

We know that matter cannot expand or else we would feel it.

Space itself cannot expand, it has no "thing" to expand into or out.

So what does the expanding?

Is it timespace?

If this is so! than why do images show a clustering effect?

S

SpeedFreek

harrycostas":1gp2aavz said:

What clustering effect are you talking about?

You keep mentioning that deep space images show a clustering effect, what do you mean by this? I keep asking, but you have not, as of yet, explained what you mean. You said something along the lines that all the galaxies in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field are part of a single gravitationally bound cluster, which is a preposterous notion, considering the spread of redshifts involved (some of those galaxies in that image are billions of light-years away from others).

So what is this clustering effect you keep referring to? How about you post an image showing the alleged clustering effect and point out how you consider the image as evidence of clustering. And then perhaps you might point out how galaxies on the opposite sides of the universe are part of a single cluster?

C

csmyth3025

harrycostas":1wwn2j7a said:
G'day

If there is an error in Redshift data then 1000's of papers that were dependent would go out the window and what then?

We know that matter cannot expand or else we would feel it.

Space itself cannot expand, it has no "thing" to expand into or out.

So what does the expanding?

Is it timespace?

I really hate to succumb to the temptation to get sucked into a "link war", but the post by "xXTheOneRavenXx" which provides the following link may help to answer your questions: http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~aes/AST ... igBang.pdf
Your first statement: "We know that matter cannot expand or else we would feel it." is a misconception on two fronts. First, as the article in the link points out, it isn't matter that's expanding, it's space itself. Second, to say "we would feel it" is somewhat akin to claiming that (conductive) heat can't be the result of the vibration of molecules "or else we would feel it [the vibration]". There are many phenomenon in this world that are too fast, too slow, or too subtle for our physical senses to directly detect.
You second statement:"Space itself cannot expand, it has no 'thing' to expand into or out." is a common misconception that the article cited tries to dispel by use of the "expanding balloon" analogy. Space isn't expanding into anything. The space in our universe encompasses everything, everywhere and is expanding according to the currently accepted Standard Model. It isn't expanding "into" anything. There is no boundary which defines space inside our universe and space outside our universe. There is a boundary which defines that which is inside our observable universe and that which is outside our observable universe, however, - and that boundary is moving.
Your third and fourth questions: "So what does the expanding?" and "Is it time-space itself?" are good questions and your guess is correct - it is, indeed, space-time itself.
Your fifth question "If this is so, then why do images show a clustering effect?" is the result of mixing two separate phenomenon. The clustering effect you're concerned about is the result of gravitationally bound dust and gas in regions of space that are, despite their immense size by our human standards, just pinpoints in the "big picture" of the space that our universe encompasses.
Chris

S

SpeedFreek

The idea that "space" expands does have some problems. It is a good way to describe what we observe, but it may not be "space" itself that is causing that expansion - think of it as a tool to aid in the understanding of the big picture.

What might cause the expansion? Perhaps it is a form of energy that may pervade space - dark energy. Whilst it is not theorised to be strong enough today to have caused the initial expansion, there are some theories that dark energy is a remnant from cosmic inflation.

Theoretical physicists have found that there might exist a Higgs-like field with a property like repulsive gravity. Given the right conditions in the very early universe, this field goes through a phase transition and forms an "inflaton" field that drives the universe apart superluminally, even down at the planck scale. Once a certain temperature or density is reached, the fields influence drops away through another phase transition, perhaps to a non-zero value, becoming dark energy.

In this case, the initial impetus for the expansion was that inflaton field, and once it had ceased to have its dramatic effect it was too late for gravity to stop everything from continuing to expand apart. The expansion continued, decelerating due to gravity, for billions of years, until all the large structures in the universe (i.e. clusters of galaxies) were so far apart that the residual repulsive energy left over from inflation, dark energy, could start to have a small effect, slowing the rate of deceleration against gravity until the rate of expansion levelled out and then started to accelerate. Gravity had fought a good battle trying to hold the universe together after inflation and was winning for a while, but then gravity lost out to inflations little brother!

In this scenario, it is a Higgs-like field that drives the expansion of the universe, but to all intents and purposes, or at least superficially, the universe acts as if space is expanding!

"In an empty universe, what is expanding?"

Note: There is a possibility of finding evidence of Higgs-like fields when the LHC gets to work.

X

xXTheOneRavenXx

I think what harrycostas means Speedfreak is Local Clusters being gravitationally bound. This too is explained in the video. As the universe expands, local clusters can still be drawn together because of their gravitational influence upon each other. However, these individual local clusters are in fact moving away from us and from each other as explained in Speedfreak's novel of universal expansion, lol.

S

SpeedFreek

:D

Ok, that makes more sense. So why does he offer it as proof that the universe is not expanding, I wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts