Outer Space/Inner Space (formerly known as Infinite bigness/infinite smallness)

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.

Catastrophe

Approaching asteroid? Is this THE one?
Feb 18, 2020
"It has nothing to do with science, right?" Right.

Infinity is a mathematical abstraction. It is 1/0. It has nothing whatsoever to do with reality.

In maths, it has certain uses. In reality, it is totally meaningless. It might be defined as "something too big to understand/imagine". In other words, useless.

Science is the critical study of reality. Beyond that is philosophy, beyond that is stupidity. Some people do not know where to draw the lines.

Cat :)

Aug 14, 2020
'Evolution' was "something too big to understand/imagine. In other words useless". Some creatures would not have allowed their fellow creatures to leave the primordial mudhole for a world too big to understand/imagine (anything "beyond" the confines of the mudhole was "stupidity") . In other words, useless (stupid). Some people, at the time, would not have allowed their fellow pre-modern humans to leave the cave, nor even the trees, for a world too big to understand/imagine. In other words useless (stupid). The "infinite", the "beyond", the boundaryless, was what evolved us enough to leave... and grow in spatial-mindedness. Some of course got left behind, get left behind always, like those people who would draw lines (boundaries), finite lines, way short of infinity (boundarylessness). Implosively short of infinity.

Those who evolve in any kind of exodus (those who expand, stretch out, into new frontiers of all kinds) -- thus throughout history the unlimitedly stupid according to some (those "some" who are doomed to be left behind always) -- are in fact those who "do not know where to draw the lines".

It would be impossible to think boundarylessly if the Universe isn't boundaryless. It would be impossible to think infinitely if the Universe isn't infinite. It wouldn't, it couldn't, even exist if it isn't infinite. And those who think so infinitesimally-finitely prove by their own very existence its existence.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020
Infinity simply is.
Not to much point in giving to much thought about infinity because it has no start or end.
If you could travel infinitely fast in infinity what happens?
I, at least, have an answer. Your measurement of the speed of light aboard your ship would be 186,000 miles per second from every direction into your ship. Hmmm, no infinity. Your clocks would be clocking time no different than when you started out from your home base. You'd notice not the slightest difference in physics either inside or outside your ship, including looking out into the universe observable to you. But where in the infinite Universe (U) would you be? When in the infinite Universe (U) would you be? What, or which, of an infinity of universes (u) -- or plane (hyper-plane) of universe -- would yours be? Lost in space and time you would be.

You'd have lost all relativity to your home base, even to your home universe (a complete breakdown of relativity). You'd know from personal experience now the real, the true, meaning of "uncertainty" in the "principle of uncertainty".

But the one thing you would not know, would never know, is having attained "travel infinitely fast in infinity". Why? Because infinity is non-relative, is non-local, is background rather than foreground, and last but not least, is not finite!

Try visiting Youtube and watching some of the clips showing and explaining Mandelbrot sets, "A picture paints a thousand words!"
Ther is a much more comprehensive discussion about infinity in this thread;

Catastrophe

Feb 18, 2020
David-J-Franks is absolutely correct. I seriously suggest that you go through the thread #32 reference before going through the whole story all over again.

Reactions: IG2007
I, at least, have an answer. Your measurement of the speed of light aboard your ship would be 186,000 miles per second from every direction into your ship. Hmmm, no infinity. Your clocks would be clocking time no different than when you started out from your home base. You'd notice not the slightest difference in physics either inside or outside your ship, including looking out into the universe observable to you. But where in the infinite Universe (U) would you be? When in the infinite Universe (U) would you be? What, or which, of an infinity of universes (u) -- or plane (hyper-plane) of universe -- would yours be? Lost in space and time you would be.

You'd have lost all relativity to your home base, even to your home universe (a complete breakdown of relativity). You'd know from personal experience now the real, the true, meaning of "uncertainty" in the "principle of uncertainty".

But the one thing you would not know, would never know, is having attained "travel infinitely fast in infinity". Why? Because infinity is non-relative, is non-local, is background rather than foreground, and last but not least, is not finite!
Interesting answer :)
Light perspective is forever taking no time showing that time isn't really a thing.
So i guess light would travel to infinity with a perspective of no time.

Gravity might be the only candidate for real instant travel or travel through nothing that isn't really travel.

My guess gravity goes nowhere instantly and sees the universe as no space.
Goes on forever just like that and takes no time.

For sure some sort of physics crazy if you could :)
Or everything just vanishes and you go nowhere instantly fast.

Catastrophe

Feb 18, 2020
If you come back to the original post, the questioner concludes:

"Who in the heck came up with this stuff? Is it real? Because if it is, it would be a very profound human discovery. However, something tells me that this stuff is strictly some form of artistic license on the nature of infinity. It has nothing to do with science, right?"

Please correct me if I am in error, but my understanding is that he is referring to something like a tiny submarine containing tiny people travelling around inside a human body.

ASK THE COMMUNITY