Perseids Meteor Shower - Virtual Planetarium hosted by UCLA Planetarium

MHaag

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
Live stream tonight at 7pm Pacific Time!

"Join us online the night before the Perseids meteor shower, consistently one of the best meteor showers of the year, to learn about the science behind this incredible celestial event. Plus, learn about the night sky in August, including tips for observing meteors, planets, and more!"

Will be live here tonight:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riC_Y6LM03I

Reactions: Helio and rod
I am in MD. This morning I did observe some Perseids, from my stargazing log. [Yes I did see two Perseids while out viewing Mars and the Moon with my 90-mm refractor telescope. Observed 0002 EDT - 0105 EDT. Last Quarter Moon 11-Aug-2020 at 1645 UT/1245 EDT. Shortly after 2400 EDT (0402 UT), I observed (unaided eyes) one bright Perseid meteor streak by Alpheratz in Andromeda, about as bright too or mv+2.06. Perseids move about 59 km/s. The peak is expected 11-12 August 2020. Mostly clear skies early this morning so I went out looking for some Perseids and Mars observing. At 0102 EDT or 0502 UT, I observed another Perseid streak by in Pegasus. It was about mv +3.0 or so. I enjoyed Mars and lunar observing with my telescope. Some very good views of Mars at 179x. The south polar cap very distinct and surface features too. No filters used. The Moon was very nice with numerous craters in south limb around Calvius crater area and terminator line. There was occasional fogging of my eyepiece though due to temperature and humidity level outdoors.]

Hope folks can enjoy some Perseids this month, online and outdoors :)--Rod

Reactions: Helio and MHaag
FYI, I watched the show here on the link. Very enjoyable and very good use of Stellarium software in the presentation. After watching, I went back out tonight and viewed a few more Perseids :). [Observed 2330-0030 EDT/0330-0430 UT. I enjoyed some time viewing Perseids and using 10x50 binocular views of Mars and M31. One bright Perseid streaked through Pegasus moving SSE. It was about as bright as Altair. I could see M31 with unaided eyes and the star, Theta Delphini, mv +5.65 in Delphinus with unaided eyes. Eta Delphini visible too, mv +5.37. Iota Delphini visible also, mv +5.40. Milky Way visible running through Cygnus with dark lanes tonight so not bad. Limiting magnitude estimated about 5.5/5.6 or so.]