Planet of the Apes, and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

coeptus

<p>Good retrospective on the&nbsp; POTA recently.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Nice to have a&nbsp; convenient synopsis of all the movies (5!) and the spin off series.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>{did not address the POTA remake from Tim Burton at all}</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Several bomb shells were revealed:</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Edward G. Robinson (as Dr. Zaius) doing a screen test (with Burton, Brolin and Harrison!) to show studio chief Zanuck the concept of talking monkeys could be presented seriously with out inducing laughter in the audience.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>An apparently filmed (but not shown) ending with the Nova character pregnant by Taylor (!!!)</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>A screen test of a (human) child made up to portray an ape/human hybrid.</p><p>&nbsp;(ewwww!) </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>High tech apes from Boulle novel replaced with lower tech ones to spread movie budget</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Crash sequence filmed from perspective of the craft, again to save $ (I loved the scene, never realized it was cheaper to film that way)</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>'Overacting' facial expressions beneath makeup appliances to make apes seem real and not actors wearing masks.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Actual lobotomy scar pictures were used to make the astronauts head makeup realistic </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Importance of having Heston and producer on board to get studio backing to make the film</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I was aware each sequel was cheaper than the one before, but it is amazing how much (!) cheaper they were.&nbsp; Studio was in financial difficulties, and budgets were very tight</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Early POTA merchandising blitz paved the way for all the Star Wars spinoff crap, right down to the Star Wars deoderant tampons test marketed in Cleveland, Ohio.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>{OK, made up that last one just a little, but there were POTA trash cans) </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Fun show, set your TIVOs !!</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff00ff">If not for bad Pluck, I'd have no Pluck at all . . .</font></p><p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff">This is your vogon, posting under coeptus, and trying IE and Firefox  to see if either is faster with fewer misloads.  Erf !!</font></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p> </div>

A

a_lost_packet_

<p>What is "Planet of the Apes and Beyond?"&nbsp; Was there some special on some network I missed?</p><p>I loved PotA as a kid.</p><p>I had the PotA "Treehouse" set and action figures.&nbsp; Seriously..&nbsp; I even had the chick one.&nbsp; That was the first "anything" I had that had "boobies" on it.&nbsp; I was flabbergasted.&nbsp; Well, as flabbergasted as a kid who hasn't ever seen boobies could be. :)&nbsp; (Which, let me tell you, was pretty darn flabbergastering!)</p><p>That's pretty sad though.&nbsp; The first experience I ever had with fake boobs involved a chimp/human hybrid....&nbsp; You'd be proud. ;) </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1">I put on my robe and wizard hat...</font> </div>

C

coeptus

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>What is "Planet of the Apes and Beyond?"&nbsp; Was there some special on some network I missed?I loved PotA as a kid.I had the PotA "Treehouse" set and action figures.&nbsp; Seriously..&nbsp; I even had the chick one.&nbsp; That was the first "anything" I had that had "boobies" on it.&nbsp; I was flabbergasted.&nbsp; Well, as flabbergasted as a kid who hasn't ever seen boobies could be. :)&nbsp; (Which, let me tell you, was pretty darn flabbergastering!)That's pretty sad though.&nbsp; The first experience I ever had with fake boobs involved a chimp/human hybrid....&nbsp; You'd be proud. ;) <br /> Posted by a_lost_packet_</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I just checked "Behind the Planet of the Apes" on IMDB&nbsp; and the special was made in 1998, just a month before Roddy McDowell passed away.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>It just ran about a week ago and my TIVO suggestions snagged it for me.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Ran 2 1/2 hours (about 1 hour of commercials, thank you TIVO for FFWD) and it is uber interesting.&nbsp; I guess the Tim Burton remake wasn't mentioned because it hadn't been even contemplated in'98.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>The human/ape hybrid kid was really creepy.&nbsp; Odd that sort of thing should disturb me of all people . . .&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff00ff">If not for bad Pluck, I'd have no Pluck at all . . .</font></p><p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff">This is your vogon, posting under coeptus, and trying IE and Firefox  to see if either is faster with fewer misloads.  Erf !!</font></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.