Please give us back the LiveScience Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silylene

Several of the live science forums are missing. Can we please get them back?

Also I noticed that if I log in via LiveScience, I get my 'Homer The Scream' avatar. So now 'petet' has two different avatars, depending how I log in.

And DH, if you please could, as I requested in the other thread, please replace the handle 'petet' with 'silylene'. thanks!

M

MeteorWayne

petet":rfqznn2z said:
Several of the live science forums are missing. Can we please get them back?

Also I noticed that if I log in via LiveScience, I get my 'Homer The Scream' avatar. So now 'petet' has two different avatars, depending how I log in.

And DH, if you please could, as I requested in the other thread, please replace the handle 'petet' with 'silylene'. thanks!

Please just be a little patient. There are obviously a lot of bugz; AFAIK, the Live Science fora are inoperative.

This is a major rebuild, with new (non-Pluck) software. If it takes a day or two, I think that's a fair tradeoff!

D

doublehelix

MeteorWayne":7px75fil said:
AFAIK, the Live Science fora are inoperative.

This is a major rebuild, with new (non-Pluck) software. If it takes a day or two, I think that's a fair tradeoff!

The LiveScience forums live on livescience.com. They will not be returning to Space.com. You will need to log into LiveScience to access them. Use your same email and password.

I just posted over there and am having no problems. Wayne, what do you mean that the LS forums are inoperable?

Silylene, I do not have access to the Admin area right now, but I will continue to attempt to login there thru the weekend.

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

doublehelix":13fuufkf said:
MeteorWayne":13fuufkf said:
AFAIK, the Live Science fora are inoperative.

The LiveScience forums live on livescience.com. They will not be returning to Space.com. You will need to log into LiveScience to access them. Use your same email and password.

I just posted over there and am having no problems. Wayne, what do you mean that the LS forums are inoperable?

Silylene, I do not have access to the Admin area right now, but I will continue to attempt to login there thru the weekend.

-dh

When I get in through Live Science, I still get the message "there are no forums". I am keeping a separate tab open for access through Live Science...

D

doublehelix

MeteorWayne":17frao06 said:
When I get in through Live Science, I still get the message "there are no forums". I am keeping a separate tab open for access through Live Science...

OK, thanks for that. Is anyone else having a hard time accessing the LiveScience forums?

-dh

D

DrRocket

doublehelix":lhf1yw4v said:
MeteorWayne":lhf1yw4v said:

OK, thanks for that. Is anyone else having a hard time accessing the LiveScience forums?

-dh

As far as I can tell they are either totally inaccessible or non-existent. I get a message that there are no forums on the Live Science board. That is when I get something other than an error message.

B

bobw

Yes, I cannot access forum index.

If I click on "Featured Topic" or something on the "Community" page then I can read the posts and get to the index for "Environmental Issues", for example. From there any attempt to see the general forum index returns a message that the board has no forums.

D

doublehelix

bobw":1tw1znfz said:
Yes, I cannot access forum index.

If I click on "Featured Topic" or something on the "Community" page then I can read the posts and get to the index for "Environmental Issues", for example. From there any attempt to see the general forum index returns a message that the board has no forums.

OK, thank you all for the feedback. When I get access to the Admin area, I will look into the state of the LiveScience forums. Thank you for your patience - we'll get it fixed! :mrgreen:

-dh

D

docm

MeteorWayne":1dwu4tiz said:

I can log in, but the problems I have are no link to the main forum page and incorrect formatting in FireFox unless I use the IE Tab plugin (uses IE's rendering engine). The login link is hidden by the elements below it. Same for much of the rest of the pages.

S

summoner

Seems to be a problem with the Forum Index page. Nothing shows up there, but I can go to the active posts page and see the newest reply's.

S

silylene

DH, I really liked the two forums, Space and LiveScience to be linked. It made it much more convenient, and I think it brough more traffic to both. As you know, most of us who are interested in science are interested in both physical and life sciences. I don't understand why you want to break them into two forums.

The linkage of Space and LiveScience so that they were visible on one forum was about the only good thing that came out of the Pluck era.

Perhaps you can take a poll?

D

derekmcd

petet":2vlsngkb said:
DH, I really liked the two forums, Space and LiveScience to be linked. It made it much more convenient, and I think it brough more traffic to both. As you know, most of us who are interested in science are interested in both physical and life sciences. I don't understand why you want to break them into two forums.

The linkage of Space and LiveScience so that they were visible on one forum was about the only good thing that came out of the Pluck era.

Perhaps you can take a poll?

I'd like to see it. It makes perfect sense to me. However, if it can't be done, having two tabs open for each forum is well worth the trade off for the abandonment of pluck.

S

starsinmyeyes44

Petet wrote:
DH, I really liked the two forums, Space and LiveScience to be linked. It made it much more convenient, and I think it brough more traffic to both. As you know, most of us who are interested in science are interested in both physical and life sciences.

I very much agree! I would like to see them back together also.

M

MeteorWayne

While I agree it was more convenient with SDC and Live Science on one page, the de Pluckification is wll worth the tradeoff. I'll adapt if needed.

At the current time, though the Live Science fora cannot be found by me, but they are aware of the problem and I'm sure will address it soon.

M

Mee_n_Mac

MeteorWayne":7p5fkcw9 said:
While I agree it was more convenient with SDC and Live Science on one page, the de Pluckification is wll worth the tradeoff. I'll adapt if needed.

I'll echo the above. It's not high on the priority list but it would be nice.

D

doublehelix

Perhaps at some point in the future they will be linked. For now, they will not be. I'm giving this to you straight. For the time being, LiveScience forums will remain on livescience.com. I know this is a disappointment, but it is a sacrifice we had to make. If we decide to link the LS forums on SDC, I will post about it. For now, it is not going to happen.

-dh

N

nec208

doublehelix":2uizy8i4 said:
Perhaps at some point in the future they will be linked. For now, they will not be. I'm giving this to you straight. For the time being, LiveScience forums will remain on livescience.com. I know this is a disappointment, but it is a sacrifice we had to make. If we decide to link the LS forums on SDC, I will post about it. For now, it is not going to happen.

-dh

Why is that :eek: copyright? If you cannot post the forums here can you post a link taking you to LiveScience web site where you can log in and post or read messages?

Before LiveScience was showing up and now it is not .If it is a copyright problem :?: :?: can you post link to LiveScience web site.

Checking my profile can I see my threads or posts on LiveScience or do I have go to LiveScience web site and log in and check my profile there ?

M

MeteorWayne

It's really not that hard. Here's the link to the Live Science Main page.

http://www.livescience.com/

Click on Community and Forums, and you wind up here:

http://www.livescience.com/common/forums/

Therein are all the LiveScience Fora:

Animals
Wildlife, and the lives of the domestic animals we love. 200 Topics 1982 Posts Last post by doublehelix
Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:30 pm

Health and Human Biology
Health and the human body - incredible discoveries... about ourselves! 237 Topics 1918 Posts No posts

Environmental Issues
Climate change and green living - saving the planet, one post at a time.
Moderator: MeteorWayne 142 Topics 2274 Posts Last post by ed_pardo
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Technology
Keep up to date on amazing advances in technology. 215 Topics 1765 Posts No posts

Earth Science
Weather and natural phenomena on this big blue marble of ours.
Moderator: MeteorWayne 115 Topics 1345 Posts Last post by ed_pardo
Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:18 am

History
History and science, and the effect they have on each other. 77 Topics 848 Posts No posts

Energy 101

Apparently, you are one of the 3 peaple on the planet who liked what pluck did to Space.com.

B

brandbll

Although i agree it isn't that much of an inconvenience to go to the seperate site, if they could place a link somewhere on the front of the forums, that would be cool. Maybe we can post one in User announcements for the time being.

D

doublehelix

brandbll":1eipgvs1 said:
Although i agree it isn't that much of an inconvenience to go to the seperate site, if they could place a link somewhere on the front of the forums, that would be cool. Maybe we can post one in User announcements for the time being.

I know that people thought the LS forums were invisible. Can you see them now?

http://www.livescience.com/common/forums/index.php

brandbll, I'll make an announcement about this and a few other things.

-dh

S

Smersh

Hi Dh,

I managed to log in to Live Science and I started a thread about historic photographs in the History forum.

doublehelix":3l0ib4u7 said:
-dh

However, I had to use my old e-mail address to log in and not the new one I mentioned in the e-mails we exchanged if you recall. I can only log in to Space.com with the new e-mail addy.

Also, my post count shows "103" in Live Science and "979" on Space.com (was 2900+ in Pluck.) :eek:

I think it's a great pity and incovenient if the boards are kept separate. Are there any definitely no plans to integrate the 2 do you know? Judging from previous posts in this thread I think most here would prefer it that way.

Cheers!

S

Smersh

Hi again Dh,

I'd just like to say I'm not trying to criticise in my above post - thanks for the new board and so far it's nice and fast and a dream to use compared with Pluck! :D I just though I'd point out about the 2 different e-mail addies in my case (although maybe I'm unusual because you changed the e-mail for my SDC login,) and the two different post counts and overall post loss, although it looks like we've all had our post counts reduced.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts