PROTON

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacecadet11

A proton is a particle of matter that has mass. But even this mass can exibit both a wave and particle like behavior at the sub-atomic level. Does this happen at the same time in the 'space-time' continuum?
Mass and energy are equivalent. In physics..are they said to be different because they are in different states? Sorry lazy question...I just want to see someone else's answer.
Can a proton emit or 'radiate' a photon? What is it called if that happens? What causes a proton wave to excrete a photon? Is the proton giving up some of its energy because of a problem and in the process the energy is seen in the form of a waving photon? What is the process called that causes the proton to lose energy...does it lose its velocity in space as well if it is moving?
There is a reason I am asking my questions in a strange and obtuse -almost non-sensicle manner...I hope nobody minds!
Bye
SC

O

OleNewt

Photons are just a fancy name for a particle of pure energy (ie, light). To get energy to emit from matter, you have to enact some process upon it that produces energy.

G

GraemeH

spacecadet11":2xm8wn5x said:
A proton is a particle of matter that has mass. But even this mass can exibit both a wave and particle like behavior at the sub-atomic level. Does this happen at the same time in the 'space-time' continuum?
Mass and energy are equivalent. In physics..are they said to be different because they are in different states? Sorry lazy question...I just want to see someone else's answer.
Can a proton emit or 'radiate' a photon? What is it called if that happens? What causes a proton wave to excrete a photon? Is the proton giving up some of its energy because of a problem and in the process the energy is seen in the form of a waving photon? What is the process called that causes the proton to lose energy...does it lose its velocity in space as well if it is moving?
There is a reason I am asking my questions in a strange and obtuse -almost non-sensicle manner...I hope nobody minds!
Bye
SC

In QM, the proton is a wave AND a particle at the same time, hence the term wave-particle duality and happens all the time, except when we conduct an experiment that highlights its wave property or another experiment that highlights its particle property.

Yes, in effect, energy and matter are the same thing just in different phases - just like at 32 deg F you can have liquid water and ice, both are still water, just in different phases (Note, this is an analogy only). Matter is energy that is defined in discrete packets. The origin of these discrete packets is at the forefront of theoretical physics and explanations vary depending upon which approach is being reviewed (string theory, supersymmetry or any other GUT you care to mention)

Protons can emit photons, for example, when accelerated in a magnetic field. Yes, the proton can give up some of the energy that has been pumped into it. The wavelength of the photon emmitted is given by E=hv. The process is called deexcitation and involves capture of the excited proton by a nucleus or a neutron, the proton is just dropping to a lower energy state. Note that the photons will have a specific wavelength as the process is quantized, depending upon the capture method.

In accelerating the proton, it has gained kinetic energy. A certain proportion of the kinetic energy is lost during the deexcitation process as emmitted photons. Any remaining kinetic energy from the proton will remain with the new system.

Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts