Pseudo-Scientific Nonsense

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">If ContraCommando feels the need to continue to post religious (or anti-religious) statements in this forum he will only continue to contradict himself.</font><br /><br />Really? You seem to be the one that is so desperate to keep defending it.<br /><br />Yes, I’ve really contradicted myself by providing scientific facts and comparing them with the story of a guy with magical hair which gave him superhuman strength.

C

contracommando

Logical Absurdities in the Bible….the theism you defend and want taught in the classrooms in the form of idiot design. Lets teach this in the classrooms!!!!!!!<br /><br />1) Plants are made on the third day before there was a sun to drive their photosynthetic processes (1:14-19). 1:11 <br /><br />2) In an apparent endorsement of astrology, God places the sun, moon, and stars in the firmament so that they can be used "for signs". This, of course, is exactly what astrologers do: read "the signs" in the Zodiac in an effort to predict what will happen on Earth. 1:14 <br /><br />3) God's clever, talking serpent. 3:1 <br /><br />4) God expels Adam and Eve from the garden before they get a chance to eat from that other tree -- the tree of life. God knows that if they do that, they well become "like one of us" and live forever. 3:22-24 <br /><br />5) Cain is worried after killing Abel and says, "Every one who finds me shall slay me." This is a strange concern since there were only two other humans alive at the time -- his parents! 4:14 <br /><br />6) "There were giants in the earth in those days." 6:4 <br /><br />7) The first men had incredibly long life spans. 5:5, 5:8, 5:11, 5:14, 5:17, 5:20, 5:23, 5:27, 5:31, 9:29 <br /><br />8) God decides to kill all living things because the human imagination is evil. Later (8:21), after he kills everything, he promises never to do it again because the human imagination is evil. Go figure. 6:5 <br /><br />9) God was angry because "the earth was filled with violence." So he killed every living thing to make the world less violent. 6:11-13 <br /><br />10) Noah is told to make an ark that is 450 feet long. 6:14-15 <br /><br />11) God tells Noah to make one small window (18 inches square) in the 450 foot ark for ventilation. 6:16 <br /><br />12) God is rightly filled with remorse for having killed his creatures. He makes a deal with the animals, promising never to drown them all again. He even p

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">and Frankly I can sense a type of hatred towards religion coming from you. </font><br /><br />Wow, religious and psychic.

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">I don't see how you can prove the existence or non-existence of God with science. </font><br /><br />I don’t see you can prove the existence of your god based on second hand accounts and fairy tales. To try and pass off the ridiculous notion that the two are on equal footing because you personally have no understanding of science is both childish and unfortunate.

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">You obviously assumed I was Christian. I never said I was. So the anti-Christian attack would be meaningless if I wasn't.</font><br /><br />Funny, I never said I hated religion - just that it is baseless (which it is: “I have absolutely no evidence that these gods exist, but take my word for it.”) <br /><br />You have a great way of putting words in people’s mouths.

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow"> I don't remember reading anything in his post that gave any hint of him being Catholic or even supporting what they have done. <br /><br />Great job at taking something out of context. He pointed out how “intolerant” anti-theists are, I pointed out how intolerant theists are. <br /><br /><i>No my friend. I didn't take it out of context. That poster had nothing to do with any of the past injustices done by the church. He wasn't even alive then. You also do not know if he supported it.</i> </font><br /><br />Yes, my good friend, you did. That poster pointed out how “intolerant” some anti-theists are and I pointed out “intolerant” some theists are. I never implicated him personally or said that he supported it.<br /><br />Strawman: “the practice of purposely distorting someone’s comments to present the fallacy that the person being replied to stated something he or she did not say in order to snidely denounce what wasn‘t really said.”

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">Once again it is you who believes this. You are the only one who has consistently brought these ideas up.</font><br /><br />Your FIRST post to me: <i>“Your tone in your version of the Garden of Eden really explains your personality. You don't believe in God and you want others to agree with you. <br /><br />Maybe religion is a meme and Christianity is bunk. <b>But regardless that still does not mean there can't be an impersonal God.</b></i><br /><br />No, my friend. There were several things on that original list and you chose to bring that one up.

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">It is funny how you start a post and say that these kinds of things shouldn't be brought up in this forum. When after examination we find that you are THE ONLY ONE bringing them. </font><br /><br />Again, your FIRST post to me: <b>But regardless that still does not mean there can't be an impersonal God. </b><br /><br />Seeing though you chose to bring that one up before anything else, it would seem that YOU ARE THE ONE BRINGING THIS UP.

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">errrrr....not a babbling idiot?</font><br /><br />errrrr....ad hominem?

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">Because I already think that I have resorted to cheap-shots as well and probably have skewed the line of personal attacks if not already crossed it.</font><br /><br />I agree. <br />

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">Please share the drugs.</font><br /><br />Errrr….that’s not a sigline…..so it is an……ad hominem. <br /><br /><font color="yellow">You prove to me that God doesn't exist. Then I will believe you.</font><br /><br />You prove to me that people are descended from a garden and women from a rib and I’ll believe you.

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">What improvable fairytales?</font><br /><br />1) Earth created in 6 days<br /><br />2) Noah’s ark housing millions of species from a global flood in which there is NO scientific evidence of.<br /><br />3) The Israelites wandering in the desert for decades when the trip only took 10 days.<br /><br />3) Plants created before sun.<br /><br />4) Samson having magic hair that gave him superhuman strength.<br /><br />Just for starters.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">My life isn't full of false purpose is yours?</font><br /><br />Another cheap shot. If you want your beliefs to be respected, I suggest respecting the beliefs of others.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">Are they the ones you must believe? Because I really do think you are the one who believes them.</font><br /><br />Yes, I’ve clearly established that I believe in those fairy tales…..like that guy’s wife who was turned into a pillar of salt.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">I believe in God and it has nothing to do with what someone said thousands of years ago. It has something to do with a decision I made a few years ago. </font><br /><br />Funny, both are kinda the same….based on faith and not evidence. More of the “take my word for it even though I can’t prove it” theory, huh?<br /><br /><font color="yellow">Because once again you are the one who keeps posting them over and over and over and over……..</font><br /><br />Your first post to me….again (sigh): <b>“ But regardless that still does not mean there can't be an impersonal God.”</b><br /><br />I brought up several things in my original post and you chose to bring this up FIRST….and keep bringing it up.

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">Why should I believe your fairytale?</font><br /><br />Why should I believe that snakes could talk?<br /><br /><font color="yellow">Please keep sharing your poetic examples from The ContraCommando Bible.</font><br /><br />Sure, all you can handle……. http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/<br /><br /><font color="yellow">Then we can all look back at see what a hypocritical brainiac you really are.</font><br /><br />Really? I’m hypocritical because I study science and reason (“fairy tales”) and you are not because you believe (based on nothing more than “take my word for it”) that the Earth was created in 6 days and there was a global flood that only Noah survived because God told him to build some kind of super ark to house all the species of the Earth….even though there obviously wasn‘t enough room to do so (fairy tale).<br /><br /><font color="yellow">Even if I didn't believe in God- after reading your post I think I would start. Just so I wouldn't be in the same category as the likes of you.</font><br /><br />Speaks for itself. Present no evidence of anything, just assert that you are right and the last 100 years of science didn’t happen - while childishly and rudely attacking anyone who disagrees.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">I think you may be the best thing out there to promote religion.</font><br /><br />I think you are the best thing out there to promote why people should read books.

Y

yevaud

I wasn't suggesting some dark, nefarious purpose in using that argument. But by using that methodology of argumentation, it actually weakens the argument. Reason: it opens the door wide open for the exact counter-argument, which is equally impossible to argue, debate, or prove.<br /><br />And it's an interesting debate. I wouldn't want it to degenerate into "prove it - can't can you?" "Yeah, disprove it - can't can you?" <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">Would it be to much if I made a Golden Statue in your image and worshipped it?</font><br /><br />Why not, you seem to have a habit of doing such things.<br /><br /><font color="yellow">Science also does not base it's principles on the non-existence of God.</font><br /><br />You’re right, it is based on logic, reason and things that are testable….evidence ( something you refuse to present). <br /><br /><font color="yellow">Just because I can't prove the negative doesn't make my argument invalid.</font><br /><br />Sure it does. You say God exists, prove it.

K

kmarinas86

http://www.thereisnogod.info/English/english.php<br /><br /><font color="yellow">Raelians celebrate … <br /><br />year of atheism<br />No more war and No more terrorism "in the name of god" <br /> <br />We are part of an atheist religion. Like Buddhism and other Eastern religions, we have no concept of a creator god, but rather of Infinity from the subatomic to the cosmic. <br /><br />Life was created on Earth by extraterrestrial scientists and artists called Elohim who, through a mastery of DNA synthesis, eventually created humans "in their image, after their likeness." <br /><br />The Elohim, which is a plural Hebrew word meaning "those who came from the sky" contacted all the great prophets who started the major religions such as Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, the Baha'i Faith, Mormonism, Sikhism, Hinduism and so on. Although they did not have the scientific understanding of genetics that we have today, these prophets left enough references of the work of the Elohim in their teachings that we can now understand from these sacred texts that we have indeed been created scientifically by beings from another planet whom our primitive ancestors called "God." <br /><br />In 1973, RAEL had a physical encounter with the Elohim and was entrusted with a message to impart to Humanity, which reveals the truth about our genesis as a race.</font><br /><br /><font color="yellow">RADICAL THINKER <br />GIORDANO BRUNO<br />WAS A PIONEER OF ATHEISM <br />He believed in the Infinite nature of the Universe (not just that God is in all, but that ALL is in ALL) and claimed that life existed on other planets! <br /><br /><br />(1548-1600) In the words of historian, John Kessler, "He was a sensitive, imaginative poet, fired with the enthusiasm of a larger vision of a larger universe ... and he fell into the error of heretical belief. For this poet's vision he was kept in a dark dungeon for eight ye</font>

C

contracommando

<b>Science and History in the Bible</b>.......more fairy tales and fallacies.<br /><br />1) The Genesis 1 creation account conflicts with the order of events that are known to science. In Genesis, the earth is created before light and stars, birds and whales before reptiles and insects, and flowering plants before any animals. The true order of events was just the opposite. 1:1-2:3 <br /><br />2) God creates light and separates light from darkness, and day from night, on the first day. Yet he didn't make the light producing objects (the sun and the stars) until the fourth day (1:14-19). And how could there be "the evening and the morning" on the first day if there was no sun to mark them? 1:3-5 <br /><br />3) Plants are made on the third day before there was a sun to drive their photosynthetic processes (1:14-19). 1:11 <br /><br />4) In an apparent endorsement of astrology, God places the sun, moon, and stars in the firmament so that they can be used "for signs". This, of course, is exactly what astrologers do: read "the signs" in the Zodiac in an effort to predict what will happen on Earth. 1:14 <br /><br />5) God makes two lights: "the greater light [the sun] to rule the day, and the lesser light [the moon] to rule the night." But the moon is not a light, but only reflects light from the sun. And why, if God made the moon to "rule the night", does it spend half of its time moving through the daytime sky? 1:16 <br /><br />6) All animals were originally herbivores. Tapeworms, vampire bats, mosquitoes, and barracudas -- all were strict vegetarians, as they were created by God. 1:30 <br /><br />7) In Genesis 1 the entire creation takes 6 days, but the universe is at least 12 billion years old, with new stars constantly being formed. 1:31 <br /><br />8) Humans were not created instantaneously from dust and breath, but evolved over millions of years from simpler life forms. 2:7 <br /><br />9) God fashions a woman out of one of Adam's ribs. <br />Because of this story, it was commonly beli

C

contracommando

14) The flood covered the highest mountain tops (Mount Everest?) with fifteen cubits to spare. 7:20 <br /><br />15) "The windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained." This happens whenever it stops raining. 8:2 <br /><br />16) When the animals left the ark, what would they have eaten? There would have been no plants after the ground had been submerged for nearly a year. What would the carnivores have eaten? Whatever prey they ate would have gone extinct. And how did the New World primates or the Australian marsupials find their way back after the flood subsided? 8:19 <br /><br />17) God is rightly filled with remorse for having killed his creatures. He even puts the rainbow in the sky to remind himself of his promise to the animals not to do it again. But rainbows are caused by the nature of light, the refractive index of water, and the shape of raindrops. There were rainbows billions of years before humans existed. 9:13 <br /><br />18) "The whole earth was of one language." But this could not be true, since by this time (around 2400 BCE) there were already many languages, each unintelligible to the others. 11:1, 6 <br /><br />19) God worries that people could build a tower high enough to reach him (them?) in heaven, and that by so doing they will become omnipotent. 11:4-6<br /><br />20) According to the Tower of Babel story, the many human languages were created instantaneously by God. But actually the various languages evolved gradually over long periods of time. 11:9 <br /><br />21) Jacob displays his (and God's) knowledge of biology by having goats copulate while looking at streaked rods. The result is streaked baby goats. 30:37-39 <br /><br />22) Joseph and his magic divining cup. 44:5, 44:15 <br /><br /><b>Exodus</b><br /><br />23) It took the Israelites 40 years to travel from Egypt to Canaan, yet such a journey, even at that time, would have taken no more than ten days. 16:35 <br /><br />24) The Israelite population went from 70 (or 75) to several mill

C

contracommando

<b>Deuteronomy</b><br /><br />29) Og, the king of the giants, was a tall man, even by NBA standards. His bed measured 9 by 4 cubits (13.5 feet long and 6 feet wide). 3:11 <br /><br />30) "Their wine is the poison of dragons." I wonder what genus and species the bible is referring to when it mentions dragons. 32:33 <br /><br /><b>Joshua</b><br /><br />31) In Joshua 8 the Israelites destroy Ai and make it a desolate heap. But archaeology has revealed that Ai was an abandoned city by the time of the Israelites and that this story is nothing more than a myth invented to explain the ruins of an ancient city that the Israelites encountered. 8:1-29 <br /><br /><b>1 Samuel</b><br /><br />32) Goliath was ten feet tall ("six cubits and a span"). 17:4 <br /><br /><b>2 Samuel</b><br /><br />33) How many soldiers did Israel have? This verse says that Judah and Israel had a total of 1,300,000 fighting men (1 Chr.21:5 says 1,570,000) in this battle. Of course, this is a ridiculously high number for a battle between two tribal armies in 1000 BCE. (The United States had about 1.37 million active duty soldiers in 2001.) 24:9 <br /><br />1 Kings<br /><br />34) This verse implies that the value of p is 3. (The actual value is approximately 3.14159.) 7:23 <br /><br />35) God creates droughts by causing "heaven to shut up" as a punishment for sin. 8:35 <br />[so droughts are caused by sin?]<br /><br /><font color="yellow">I hope this is enough, because there is <b>plenty</b> more.</font><br /><br />So, confronted with all these fallacies, is it illogical of me to conclude that the text is…WRONG?<br /><br />http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/science/long.html<br /><br />(excerpted)<br />

T

tplank

Contra,<br /><br />Just curious as to why this topic is such a passion for you if you think it is all a bunch of bunk? If you believe that science completely debunks religion, why then waste your breath? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>The Disenfranchised Curmudgeon</p><p>http://tonyplank.blogspot.com/ </p> </div>

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">Life was created on Earth by extraterrestrial scientists and artists called Elohim who, through a mastery of DNA synthesis, eventually created humans "in their image, after their likeness." </font><br /><br />Okay, I guess.

C

contracommando

tplank,<br /><br />It’s a passion because that guy sent me a huge number of derogatory posts when I had no intention of returning here in the first place. So actually, you could ask him why it is such a passion for him seeing as though all those posts came from him.

C

contracommando

<font color="yellow">why then waste your breath</font><br /><br />You’re right. Maybe I shouldn’t.

U

unlearningthemistakes

I believe we can close this arguments in a gentleman's fashion. <br />this is so futile... no one will win nor lose. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>pain is inevitable</p><p>suffering is optional </p> </div>

T

tplank

I agree. But I'd like to state my view for the record.<br /><br />I view the Bible as God’s revealed truth to Man. I believe it is infallible and should be taken literally where the language is clearly meant as literal. Thus, I believe in Adam and Eve, the flood and much of what is easier to write off as legendary or allegorical. But, I’m also a fairly well educated person and my wife of twenty-one years is a molecular biologist. Reconciling this matter is of significant importance to me and my family.<br /><br />This is where we find ourselves on the matter. God gave us reason and intends for us to use it. As time has marched on, we continue to learn more about our universe and as we learn more, our thinking on God’s revelation grows with that learning. Few now deny that the Earth orbits the Sun, but educated and faithful men of another age felt passionately about the Earth being the proper Biblical center of the universe. We came to understand that maybe the perceived clarity on the point was an error and we learned how to reconcile the new learning with our faith without stretching or twisting faith or reason.<br /><br />I believe that faith will be completely reconciled with reason when God restores Creation to its as-created Goodness. Our inability to perform that reconciliation now reflects our limitations as men. As our knowledge continues to accumulate, we will perhaps reconcile more of this gap than what we have managed thus far.<br /><br />I for one have a real difficulty understanding people who are so certain that they understand even the act of creation when we do not even have a firm handle on our own human ability to create. How can any of us be so certain that we understand what creation means as applied to an infinite God? Clearly, God spoke to us at times in abstract ways such as when he “spoke” creation into existence. But “speaking” is itself anthropomorphism not to mention a physical phenomenon of a created universe: God is doing his best to help us gra <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>The Disenfranchised Curmudgeon</p><p>http://tonyplank.blogspot.com/ </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts