Questions About the Mission Control Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

ysl007

While Watching NASA TV this Few days I Noticed the Usual Space Shuttle Control Room Was used to Monitor the ISS . This left me Wondering if The MCC room for Shuttle is used to monitor Daily when there are no shuttle launches or it is just used for now due to undocking of the Expedition 13 Crews as the ISS team has another MCC room of their room as Seen on NASA TV . Hope someone out there can answer my doubts and thank you !

Q

qso1

During the periods when there are no missions, a lot of training is done. This keeps the MCC personnell in top form for when missions are underway. There are also MOCCs which are used for specific control issues relating in this case to ISS. I'm not real clear on the specifics of when they use which control room for what but I imagine the control rooms are pretty flexible. This is about as close as I can get for now.<br /><br />Someone else with a better explanation will probably post soon. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

S

search

"The Space Shuttle Flight Control Room and the International Space Station Flight Control Room are basically identical in their equipment and supporting structure, however the ISS Flight Control Room is smaller than the Space Shuttle Flight Control Room and operates with fewer flight controllers. The Space Station Flight Control Room normally operates with a dozen or less flight controllers manning consoles, as compared to the 20 or so controllers normally manning the space shuttle room during a flight. Because the station team is smaller, the room has fewer consoles and is overall physically smaller than the shuttle room. The station room, however, uses workstations and support equipment identical to that used in the shuttle room, and most data related to flight control of the station or shuttle can be viewed from either room. In addition, the station room has two large display screens at the front of the room rather than three such as in the shuttle room, as well as fewer remote television cameras mounted in the room to provide a live broadcast of activities."<br /><br />http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/mcc/index.html

Q

qso1

That was quick. Great explanation BTW. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.