SDC: Shanghai Scientists Developing Atomic Moon Rover

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solarspot

"MSL will operate on battery power."<br /><br />And where did you hear this? I recall an article from a while back saying one advantage to using RTG's would be not needing batteries, since the RTG provides power continuously.<br /><br />"it won't be driven at night"<br /><br />Wasen't this one of the reasons for using an RTG? So that the rover could operate continuously instead of just during high light levels? The only benefit of which I am aware MSL would get from operating during daytime would be the ability to use visible-light cameras without the need for forward facing lights (lol). <br /><br /><br />

J

jimfromnsf

"And where did you hear this?"<br />In a meeting. <br /><br />Colateral proof: Why does the cruise stage have solar cells. The RTG power output is low but continuous.<br /><br />"Wasn't this one of the reasons for using an RTG?'<br /><br />No, the ability to land at higher latitudes where the solar energy isn't as strong<br /><br />The cameras are only visible light

A

astrowikizhang

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/cn.engadget.com/media/2007/04/fcpmoon.jpg<br /><br />I did watch it in the local TV news. According to the news, there are 2 prototypes, MR 2 and MR 3, displayed. MR 2 demos its mobility under remote control and self-navigation. MR 3 is still in progress, it cannot move yet. Some people on the background are from ESA. <br /><br />http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2007-03/22/content_5879654.htm<br /><br />Above link has a photo of another model displayed on the Zhuhai Airshow last year. Some report says there are as many as 30 moon rover prototypes produced by more than 20 research institutions and universities.

Status
Not open for further replies.