Serenity movie

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flynn

Carry on, I'm reading if no one else is.<br /><br />I just got nothing new to add, too busy to trawl the web too much. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

S

seaborn

First off I am a huge fan of the show and can't wait to see the movie. That said, doesn't the plot of the movie seem very similar to the series episode "Objects in Space" where the bounty hunter boards Serenity.

F

flynn

POSSIBLE SPOILER<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Friend of mine says hes read something and don't expect everyone to survive.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

S

serak_the_preparer

Hey, been away awhile...sleeping, working, spending time with my family...<br /><br /><i>That said, doesn't the plot of the movie seem very similar to the series episode "Objects in Space"...</i><br /><br />You're right, and it's no accident. I believe Sam Raimi said of his Spiderman movies something along the lines of the following: 'With movies, the scale is bigger - in a movie, for instance, the scope of the story you're telling would take an entire season to tell in a television series.' He then went on to explain how the first Spiderman movie was strictly an origins story, laying the groundwork for any stories which might follow.<br /><br />Joss Whedon, continuing on the silver screen a story which began as a television series, is in a unique position to appreciate Raimi's observation. And he has been clear that events in the movie occur about six months after the final episode of the Firefly series, 'Objects in Space.' So, with the movie <i>Serenity</i>, he's really just picking up where he left off when Fox pulled the plug.<br /><br />The episode 'Objects in Space,' in which a bounty hunter ruthlessly pursues River into the depths of space, attempting to forcibly wrest her from her place aboard Serenity, served several purposes at once. Each purpose essentially follows from the other:<br /><br /><b>One</b>: 'Objects in Space' showed the crew becoming more tightly knit than ever in spite of forces threatening to tear them apart (Jayne's treachery, Inara's fear of attachment, Book's desire to maintain a low profile which avoids the Alliance, etc.). The force binding the crew more closely, strangely enough, being River herself, their resident problem. Or not so strangely, as sometimes nothing can unite a group better than a common problem which must be faced together.<br /><br /><b>Two</b>: As the most psychological story yet, the episode uses the bounty hunter Jubal Early as a device to test o

S

serak_the_preparer

From a good source for information on <i>Firefly</i>:<br /><br />FireflyWiki.org - Objects In Space<br /><br />EARLY: People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid. <br /><br />RIVER: I'm not on the ship. I'm in the ship. I am the ship. <br /><br />EARLY: Where'd she go? <br />SIMON: I can't keep track of her when she's not incorporeally possessing a space ship. <br /><br />EARLY: That's somewhat unsettling. <br /><br />EARLY: You folks are all insane. <br />SIMON: Well, my sister's a ship. We had a complicated childhood.<br /><br />--------------------------<br /><br />Some other good stuff can be found at the FireflyWiki.org site, like FireflyWiki.org - Firefly.Serenity. I enjoyed the blueprints of the ship provided there. Though they left me thinking the ship needs another bathroom.

T

tempel1

Dear friends <br />Go here please:<br />http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/press-release-details.cfm?newsID=117 <br />” The spacecraft's VELOCITY RELATIVE TO THE SUN is at about 26 kilometers per second (about 59,250 miles per hour). Cassini is now more than 9 million kilometers (almost 6 million miles) from Earth”. <br /><br />Since our probe is launched from the earth, it has already a velocity of 65,000 miles per hour (earth's velocity). <br /><br />Why have NASA engineers steered Cassini on this trajectory? <br /> http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=h_cassini_trajectory_02.gif&cap=The <br /><br />Instead of increasing Cassini's velocity they have slowed down it at 59,250 miles per hour. <br /><br />NASA engineers think the earth is the center of our solar system and don't consider earth's velocity. <br /><br />In this wrong way Cassini has travelled for 2 200 000 000 miles to meet Saturn. <br /><br />Cassini would have been able to fly along a straight line travelling for less than 1 000 000 000 miles. <br /><br />65,000 miles per hour (earth velocity) + 36,000 miles per hour (spacecraft's velocity) = 101,000 miles per hour <br /><br />1 000 000 000 miles : 365 days : 24 hours : 101,000 miles per hour = 1.13 years <br /><br />If NASA engineers considered the earth's velocity, Cassini could meet Saturn in one year! <br />

S

serak_the_preparer

Dark Horse Comics > Previews - Serenity #1 (of 3) (Cassaday Cover) offers the first five pages of the story spanning the six months between the final episode of the Firefly series ('Objects in Space') and the movie Serenity. A portion of the introduction to the preview reads:<br /><br /><i>Now Whedon pens a three issue miniseries based on the film with Brett Matthews, whose previous credits include <b>Spider-man</b> specials with <b>Daredevil</b> and <b>Wolverine</b>, episodes of TV's <b>Firefly</b>, an <b>Angel</b> miniseries, and the animated <b>Chronicles of Riddick</b> feature "Dark Fury. " <br /><br />The crew of Serenity once again find themselves broke and on the wrong side of a number of very large firearms....</i><br /><br />The other two covers:<br /><br />Dark Horse Comics > Previews - Serenity #1 (of 3) (Hitch Cover)<br /><br />Dark Horse Comics > Previews - Serenity #1 (of 3) (Jones Cover)<br /><br />The prologue which opens the story:<br /><br /><i>After the Earth was used up, we found a new solar system and hundreds of new Earths were terra-formed and colonized. The central planets formed the Alliance and decided all the planets had to join under their rule. There was some disagreement on that point. After the War, many of the Independents who had fought and lost drifted to the edges of the system, far from Alliance control. Out here, people struggled to get by with the most basic technologies: a ship would bring you work, a gun would help you keep it. A captain's goal was simple: find a crew, find a job, keep flying.</i><br /><br />Now, if you've managed to get ahold of the first issue an

S

serak_the_preparer

Though the subject above reads 'Serenity novel,' it actually doesn't refer to the movie. It refers to the battle which effectively ends the civil war and begins the new chapter in Malcolm Reynolds' life which we know as the Firefly series.<br /><br />Excerpt from <i>Serenity</i> by Keith R.A. DeCandido<br /><br /><i>[Edit: Didn't mean to mislead - though the novel's title refers to the battle, it refers to the ship, as well, where the battle, in a sense, continues to be fought, and is a novelization of the movie.]</i>

S

serak_the_preparer

Been meaning to post these links for awhile:<br /><br />Serenity (2005) (RottenTomatoes) - useful links included<br /><br /><b>Synopsis:</b><br /><br /><i>Joss Whedon - the Oscar- and Emmy-nominated writer/director responsible for the worldwide television phenomena of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel - now applies his trademark compassion and wit to a small band of galactic outcasts 500 years in the future in his feature film directorial debut, Serenity. The film centers around Captain Malcolm Reynolds, a hardened veteran (on the losing side) of a galactic civil war, who now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, Serenity...</i><br /><br />IGN: Serenity Trailer This Week by Paul Davidson - includes useful links<br /><br /><i>Fans of the sci-fi-western television series Firefly have had to put up with a lot of frustration, ever since the show was cancelled (after mistreatment by Fox) and the movie release delayed from April until September....</i><br /><br />Serenity / Firefly Director Thanks the Fans! (MoviesOnLine)<br /><br /><i> Well, sports fans, it's official. The movie is shot. Done. And I couldn't be happier to be through with it. No more of that exciting, vibrant set, that warm camaraderie, that creative stimulus, free donuts... Excuse me. I have something in my eye... free donuts... Oh, there's things I'll miss. But there's definitely things I WON'T miss. In no particular order:<br /><br /> 1) Fillion. People who are prettier than me are not supposed to be funnier than me. I think it's a guild thing. And that whole 'gracious and professional' thing got old on day ONE, you know what I mean?<br /><br /> 2) Cinematographer Jack Green. This guy lights stuff ALL THE TIME. Seriously, like eighty-three per</i>

S

serak_the_preparer

'If a frog had side pockets he'd carry a handgun.'<br /><br />Sounds like a line you might hear in a space western movie like, oh, I don't know, <i>Serenity</i>?<br /><br /><i>It was entertaining, all the actors were back and the effects that were completed look pretty dang good. It was a believable story that had all the elements of good sci-fi....good plot, decent amount of action, good acting and a fair deal of humor thrown in. By the time its released I think the cleaned up version should appeal to a good deal out there. I for one give the movie five stars (being the best on spacechump's five star scale).</i><br /><br />You made a good call. While here and there some mixed reviews have appeared, the overall rating is good - <i>very</i> good!<br /><br />As mentioned earlier today on the other Firefly thread, the movie had its world premiere on August 22nd at the Edinburgh International Film Festival. For more, I recommend this very funny and entertaining report from iofilm: Joss Whedon Brings Serenity by Kotleta. Which begins with '<i>There is only one film that anyone is talking about today, and I'm afraid you won't be getting a break from it here. Hushed silence please for... Serenity.</i>'<br /><br />There are two reasons not to read El Topo's review at the bottom of Kotleta's report. One: Some spoilers. Two: Only awards 2 1/2 stars to the movie. So what else is there to read there besides Kotleta's diary? Try Serenity film review by Scottie instead (also at the bottom of the diary-entry). Why? Two reasons. One: No spoilers. Two: Gives Whedon's movie 5 out of 5 stars.<br /><br />Okay, all of the above was in the manner of preliminari

S

serak_the_preparer

KDavis007, in less than an hour, a new Firefly episode airs on the SciFi Channel. So, on the slight chance you read this between now and then, do yourself a favor and tune in. Very funny and entertaining episode!<br /><br />About the tickets, due to computer problems my original response was lost a week ago when I last checked this thread. So here is what I have now:<br /><br />If interested in ticket-sales this site may be of help:<br /><br />MovieTickets.com<br /><br />At this moment, the site only shows upcoming movies through September 16th. In a week, around the 26th, try giving it a look. By then there should be information up about Serenity. Otherwise, you can try the official site's Purchase Tickets link.<br /><br />In the meantime, here's something new from Now Playing Magazine, the last third of which appears below:<br /><br />Whedon on <i>Serenity</i> by Scott Collura<br /><br />07 September 2005<br /><br /><i>. . . The writer-director says that had Firefly not been prematurely cancelled (12 episodes aired in the fall season of 2002 before Fox axed it), the show’s continuing story would have been developed much differently over several seasons of television. But in the realm of theatrical films it is imperative that the storyline get to the point and avoid much of the character indulgences that TV allows. <br /><br />“Everything that somebody says [in the movies], it’s the first time they’ve said it, and every time the audience hears something in the movie, it’s the first time they’re hearing it,” says Whedon. “You have to absolutely get to the bullet points. In the movie you have to tell the story and get out.” <br /><br />As a result, there’s been a lot of bits and pieces cut from Se</i>

S

spacechump

<i>'If a frog had side pockets he'd carry a handgun.'<br /><br />Sounds like a line you might hear in a space western movie like, oh, I don't know, Serenity?</i><br /><br />Hehe I wish I could say that but sadly no....APPARENTLY one Dan Rather said it though I'm assuming he wouldn't really say something so....insane (but true I'd predict...frogs need protection).<br /><br />I have to say I've been more and more impressed with the trailers I've seen. Given that I was wholey impressed with the unfinished film screening I was at I'm going to say I'll be blown away by the final product. Sadly I haven't been around to rewatch the reruns on the SciFi channel. Hopefully I can get to those soon....

S

serak_the_preparer

Spacechump,<br /><br />Sorry I've taken so long to respond. Being such a heavy poster to these threads, I'm trying to keep the posts down to one a week. Per thread. The rest of the time I stay away.<br /><br />Well, it's Friday, the day when I remind people here that Firefly is now playing on the SciFi Channel. In fact, since it is playing right now, this will be quick!<br /><br /><i>APPARENTLY one Dan Rather said it though I'm assuming he wouldn't really say something so....insane...</i><br /><br />Is this along the lines of, 'What's the frequency, Kenneth?' The line about the frog, though, does sound like something which might come out of a somewhat backwoodsy place. Did old Dan come from such humble beginnings?<br /><br /><i>I have to say I've been more and more impressed with the trailers I've seen.</i><br /><br />They are good, aren't they? I believe my favorite is the international one. Seems to capture two key elements running strong throughout the movie: action and fun. We get plenty of both, from start to finish.<br /><br /><i>Sadly I haven't been around to rewatch the reruns on the SciFi channel. Hopefully I can get to those soon....</i><br /><br />Well, 'Out of Gas' is on right now. If you're reading this sometime between 7 and 8 EST tonight, then stop reading and go check out Firefly. : )<br /><br />Meanwhile, since you've been enjoying the trailers and are looking forward to the finished product, here's something new:<br /><br />Serenity Fan Fest - Universal Studios Hollywood

S

serak_the_preparer

Spacechump, stick with those trailers. Avoid the ads. Up till now my feeling is that Universal has been very savvy about handling the Serenity project. Just one step to go: Run some ads, bring out the movie, enjoy the favorable reviews and the proceeds upon which a movie franchise can be built. And, yet, here at the end they appear on the verge of fumbling that final critical step. They need better ads!<br /><br />On a more positive note, magazine articles and interviews are feeding the low-level buzz around Serenity. Here's one which offers a nice synopsis of the story of Firefly:<br /><br />'Firefly' alights on big screen as 'Serenity' by Anthony Breznican (USA today)<br /><br />9/21/2005<br /><br /><i>Joss Whedon has abandonment issues.<br /><br />The creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer made the hit TV series and popular spinoff Angel by resurrecting the premise from his screenplay for a little-seen 1992 movie. Now the writer/director is pulling another Lazarus act with Serenity, a movie out Sept. 30 based on the canceled TV sci-fi show Firefly.<br /><br />Serenity takes place 500 years in the future when humans have fled Earth and colonized a distant solar system ruled by the dictatorial Alliance government. The rudimentary life on the ground depends on mining, livestock and gunplay, with nomadic heroes fighting for freedom on the frontier.<br /><br />When Fox canceled Firefly in 2002 after airing 11 of the 14 produced episodes (and not always in the correct order), Whedon vowed to find the story a new home.<br /><br />"I thought maybe another network or a miniseries," Whedon says. His actors had doubts, especially after every network, including the Sci-Fi Channel, said no.<br /><br />Eventually, his crusade came to the attention of Universal Pictures. Mary Parent, the studio's outgoing head of production, recognized Whedon's following and saw the possibility of a franchise in Se</i>

S

serak_the_preparer

Been remiss here. Busy not getting sleep, I guess. Life's been a bit on the crazy side lately.<br /><br />The three various links to the preview of the third and final issue of the <i>Serenity</i> comic:<br /><br />Dark Horse Comics > Previews - Serenity #3 (of 3) (Middleton Cover) - featuring River on the cover<br /><br />Dark Horse Comics > Previews - Serenity #3 (of 3) (Phillips Cover) - featuring Wash on the cover<br /><br />Dark Horse Comics > Previews - Serenity #3 (of 3) (Yu Cover) - featuring Simon on the cover<br /><br />The reviews for the movie have been coming in, and a few of these take issue with its television origins. They cite the problem that <i>Serenity</i> must please the fans while also entertaining those who've never seen any of the series. Others disagree. From Ray Richmond's 'Serenity' now for sci-fi fans (Reuters) comes this completely unbiased assessment of the movie: '<i>This is really a classic underdog story in every way, and I think I'm safe in saying this is the finest film ever made</i>' (Joss Whedon).<br /><br />If you search Google News for 'Serenity,' you get:<br /><br />Spirited ‘Serenity’ is futuristic fun by Christy Lemire (Associated Press)<br /><br />Serenity Movie Review by The Dude (MoviesOnline, Canada)<br /><br />http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/09/</safety_wrapper

S

serak_the_preparer

This is a review of the movie <i>Serenity</i>, but let's forget that for a moment so I can ask you a question. Do you have a favorite western? Maybe one where a challenge to John Wayne runs, '<b>I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!</b>'? (If you remember that line - from <i>True Grit</i> - then do you recall Rooster Cogburn's response? '<b>Fill your hand, you son of a b!tch!</b>') Or one where Eli Wallach, having just shot dead a man who spent too much time gloating over finding him 'helpless' in a bathtub, admonishes his deceased would-be assassin, '<b>When you have to shoot, shoot - don't talk!</b>'? (Wallach's bandit character Tuco from <i>The Good, the Bad and the Ugly</i>, for anyone who may have failed to catch such a classic.) Or, in response to a bounty hunter justifying his hostile intentions as an attempt 'to earn a living,' Eastwood's, '<b>Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy</b>'? (That would be the outlaw Josey Wales in the awesome western of the same name.) How about: '<b>You said you wanted to be around when I made a mistake, well, this could be it, sweetheart</b>,' or '<b>What an incredible smell you've discovered</b>,' or '<b>That's 'cause a droid don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose - Wookiees are known to do that</b>'? Wait a minute, you're saying, those last quotes aren't from any western - they're Han Solo's lines from <i>Star Wars</i>!<br /><br />Well, you're right. Probably pushed my luck a bit with that very last quote.<br /><br />It's not saying anything new to point out that the horse opera was eventually replaced with the space opera. Lucas understood as much when he launched his <i>Star Wars</i> saga with a young farm-boy raised on the desert rim of a planet deep in the galaxy's outback. There are smugglers, bounty-hunters, desert bandits, prospectors and scavengers all trying to eke out a living while avoiding the scrutiny of an overweening

V

votefornimitz

I really liked serenity.....<br />It had alot of funny parts, imo the funniest being down in the vault..... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <span style="color:#993366">In the event of a full scale nuclear war or NEO impact event, there are two categories of underground shelters available to the public, distinguished by depth underground: bunkers and graves...</span> </div>

C

commander_keen

I'm amazed that such a movie with a 39 million dollar production budget can look and play this good. Maybe Serenity will encourage hollywood to stop relying on high-priced actors and bloated marketing to sell a movie.

K

kdavis007

I enjoyed the movie. The good news that it was 2nd place. The bad news that it made 10 million. I can't wait for the dvd to come out.

S

serak_the_preparer

By the way...<br /><br />On the SciFi Channel <i>right now</i>.<br /><br />From SCIFI.COM | Firefly:<br /><br /><b>FRIDAY, OCT. 7</b><br /><br /><font color="yellow">"Trash"</font><br /><br /><i>Mal's former wife, con artist Saffron, returns with a scheme to steal a rare antique weapon, but Mal learns there is no honor among thieves and more about Saffron's past than he ever wanted to know.</i><br /><br />EVERY FRIDAY AT 7/6C<br /><br />Okay, now with that out of the way...<br /><br /><i>I enjoyed the movie. The good news that it was 2nd place. The bad news that it made 10 million. I can't wait for the dvd to come out.</i><br /><br />Agreed. So don't wait for the DVD to come out. Universal is counting on the DVD sales to garner plenty of profits. They know that's going to happen. What the studio is less sure about is how the movie will do at the theaters. If Universal gets what it wants from the box-office - $50 million domestic revenues, $80 million worldwide - then there will be a sequel.<br /><br />So go see this movie now. This weekend. I already have. And, since I'm taking a friend out to see it again tomorrow, I'll even be seeing it again. For this old guy, that's some kind of record.<br /><br />Everything is riding on this weekend's take at the theater. Keep your fingers crossed, say a small prayer, and definitely go out and see the movie again!<br /><br />A review:<br /><br />'Serenity' Now! by J. Scott Wilson (NBC30)<br /><br />September 30, 2005<br /><br /><i>. . . Fair warning: The first film-school reject who attempts a feature-length "Gilligan's Island" is gonna get whapped on the head by more than a sailor's cap.<br /><br />But there is hope on the horizon, my friends. As the first big cold front of the fall blows across the country, it's blowing out summer's popcorn trash and bringing the most original, well-written and wel</i>

W

wmdragon

saw it last friday, even better than expected. I try not to see movies after work, because I'm tired and tend not to enjoy them as much, but that was not the case with Serenity. it kept me enterntained throughout. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

S

serak_the_preparer

Cool. I'm embarrassed to say how many times I've seen it by now. If I can, I'll try to see it one more time before it leaves the silver screen. Borderline rabid fandom. A couple of things have gotten me out to the theater all those times. One: I wanted others to see it, and would go if I could get someone else to go with me. Two: Box-office numbers will help Universal decide whether to go forward with a sequel or not, so seeing the movie is like voting, a small but not quite meaningless act of support. Three: I really liked the movie.<br /><br />Twice I've posted my own rather lame reviews of the movie here. I like the reviews others have written much better.<br /><br />How about you? Do you have a review of the movie you'd be willing to post? If so, I'd enjoy reading it.

W

wmdragon

don really have the energy and time for a real review, but I can throw around some comments [with SPOILERS]: <br /><br />the pacing was great, the characters & humor were true to the series, good FX and action scenes, and the end really had me in suspense, since I didnt know whether they would survive or go down heroically. the origins of the reavers was a satifsying twist and explained the episode Bushwhacked (but then how come none of the crew got 'infected' after so much exposure, and on the reaver homeworld to boot?). it also gave the crew a believable tool against the big bad alliance. the movie did have some cliches and moments which stretched suspension of disbelief, but those were trivial flaws. I would have liked to see more of the big reaver vs alliance space battle.<br /><br />the one big question I have is how firefly 'virgins' perceived and received this movie. I have not gone thru all these firefly threads, are there posters who saw the movie without ever seeing the series? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#993366"><em>The only laws of matter are those which our minds must fabricate, and the only laws of mind are fabricated for it by matter.</em> <br /> --- James Clerk Maxwell</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.