SETI: Why extraterrestrial intelligence is more likely to be artificial than biological

I was reminded of the "Tin Man" character from the movie "The Wizard of Oz"; biological intelligence is what Evolution developed. AI can't match 3.5 billion years of Evolution especially when constructed by for profit, low cost bidders. Think how boring a pre-programmed world beings would be.

Jul 6, 2021
Visit site
I was reminded of the "Tin Man" character from the movie "The Wizard of Oz"; biological intelligence is what Evolution developed. AI can't match 3.5 billion years of Evolution especially when constructed by for profit, low cost bidders. Think how boring a pre-programmed world beings would be.
True AI is about as far from "pre-programmed" as biological intelligence.

When I see sentences like this: "More intelligent civilisations, however, may be able to simulate living things – with actual consciousnesses – or even entire worlds or universes."
I generally stop reading.
Who says it will take "more intelligent civilizations" to simulate these things? Look at how far we have come in such a short time. If these things can be simulated, then humans will be able to do it as our technology advances.
The very idea that we are not smart enough to accomplish these things is ludicrous.

Some people actually say things like "more intelligent civilizations would look at us as we look at ants", which is just an unbelievable statement to make.

If we came across a less advanced civilization, we would not look at them as ants, so why would a more advanced civilization do so?

In fact, I think it's funny for anyone to assume they know what a more advanced civilization would think. Do ants know what we think?

Currently humanity's AI tools litter the Moon and Mars and congest the orbital space above Earth. It's our effort to advance knowledge and complement/improve human life by invention. As far as developing intelligence with emotions, and consciousness which complements/improves human life, I prefer the old fashion method provided by Evolution as complex, demanding, and tiring as it is, but it works. IMO, any more advanced space alien civilization has come to same conclusion.

Jul 6, 2021
Visit site
Currently humanity's AI tools litter the Moon and Mars and congest the orbital space above Earth. It's our effort to advance knowledge and complement/improve human life by invention. As far as developing intelligence with emotions, and consciousness which complements/improves human life, I prefer the old fashion method provided by Evolution as complex, demanding, and tiring as it is, but it works. IMO, any more advanced space alien civilization has come to same conclusion.
But why won't AI 'develop intelligence with emotions, and consciousness which complements/improves (human) life' but at a much faster rate, i.e.: AI evolution?

Biological evolution is a slow and arduous process with many dead ends and side tracks. AI evolution will probably take the same path but just many orders of magnitude faster. The level of intelligence and consciousness an entity acquires is essentially dependent upon processing power of the entity's 'brain'. With advances in regular and quantum computing it is simply a matter of time before the 'Singularity', assuming homo sapiens don't self-destruct in the meantime.

Latest posts