Shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jryle1234

Shuttle?

I had a friend of mine ask me how many Shuttle lauches theire have been so far. I thought not a Hundred but 70 or a few more. Can you give me the correct info please??

JSR

S

shuttle_guy

jryle1234":1zts0ind said:
Shuttle?

I had a friend of mine ask me how many Shuttle lauches theire have been so far. I thought not a Hundred but 70 or a few more. Can you give me the correct info please??

JSR

MW is, of course, correct. I will add that we plan just 5 more Shuttle launches. However I believe that the Obama Admin. will OK a Shuttle derived heavy lift for cargo. The Orbiter replaced by a cargo pod with a Shuttle derived engine compartment.

E

EarthlingX

shuttle_guy":2tkozu7t said:
jryle1234":2tkozu7t said:
Shuttle?

JSR

MW is, of course, correct. I will add that we plan just 5 more Shuttle launches. However I believe that the Obama Admin. will OK a Shuttle derived heavy lift for cargo. The Orbiter replaced by a cargo pod with a Shuttle derived engine compartment.
Do you have a hint on the configuration ? SSME or RS-68b ? Fully liquid or not ? Anything in the air ?

S

shuttle_guy

EarthlingX":1ga5cht9 said:
shuttle_guy":1ga5cht9 said:
jryle1234":1ga5cht9 said:
Shuttle?

JSR

Do you have a hint on the configuration ? SSME or RS-68b ? Fully liquid or not ? Anything in the air ?

Probably 5 segment Shuttle type SRBs with SSMEs, at first with the current engines then new throw away SSMEs...

S

shuttle_guy

MW is, of course, correct. I will add that we plan just 5 more Shuttle launches. However I believe that the Obama Admin. will OK a Shuttle derived heavy lift for cargo. The Orbiter replaced by a cargo pod with a Shuttle derived engine compartment.[/quote]

Probably 5 segment Shuttle type SRBs with SSMEs, at first with the current engines then new throw away SSMEs...[/quote]

The heavy lift could also have an Orion on the top of the cargo pod for some missions..

M

MeteorWayne

OK, s_g, I think you are an optomist, but we shall see.

I don't expect anything good from the current administration; I hope I am wrong...

B

bdewoody

Is it possible to keep the shuttles flyable for a period of time after they are officially retired? Just in case the Orion program has delays that would keep it on the ground for a while. Or will they be bent on making them unserviceable to prevent any thought of returning them to space?

M

MarkStanaway

Probably 5 segment Shuttle type SRBs with SSMEs, at first with the current engines then new throw away SSMEs...[/quote]

The heavy lift could also have an Orion on the top of the cargo pod for some missions..[/quote]

Do you see this arrangement as being seriously considered as an alternative to Ares I and Ares V ?

F

frodo1008

It would certainly be a far more cost affective vehicle than building the Ares V from scratch. The five segment SRB's are already basically paid for in that the developmental costs have to a great extent already been absorbed into the budget. As for the SSME's, NASA can use the 20+ SSME's that are already available, and have been paid a long time ago. The propulsion elements of any large rocket are a very large percent of the overall cost of that rocket system (at least 30% or even more), so those costs of a shuttle C type of vehicle have to a large extent already been met!

Besides which shuttle_guy is correct as usual in that the Augustine Commission (which will have a large influence on just how the Obama administration approaches the problems of getting large elements into space) has already stated that the only way that the Ares V could be built and designed by NASA is to have a relatively large increase in NASA's budget, and with the overall economy (and therefore federal governmental tax receipts) being in the dumps for at least some time to come, NASA's budget is not going to significantly increase even though they are going to still be charged with the mission of at least going back to the moon. So one of the Augustine recommendations was this very type of large lift capacity vehicle. This would reduce NASA's over all costs to where congress would be willing to fund such an effort, especially after the shut down of the shuttle, and the reduction of funding for the ISS allows more funding for these follow on projects!

Once again, shuttle_guy has hit things right on the nose, as this is just what I believe is going to be NASA's direction for the future. And I think it is a good (and affordable) direction!!

M

MarkStanaway

I guess we will just have to wait and see which way the Obama people go.

My guess is that we may hear some kind of an announcement during President Obama's 'State of the Union' address about Jan 20 next year.

M

MeteorWayne

This belongs in Space Business and Technology, so is on it's way there...

D

docm

frodo1008":2tq5ez1g said:
Once again, shuttle_guy has hit things right on the nose, as this is just what I believe is going to be NASA's direction for the future. And I think it is a good (and affordable) direction!!
A direction the US should have taken almost 25 years ago for heavy lift but the trigger wasn't pulled - Shuttle C

shuttle-c-chart-370.jpg

F

frodo1008

Docm, I must admit that we do not always find each other in agreement, but you are indeed right on in this. I was a great supporter also of the shuttle C idea, and had we done that there would now be no need for a heavy lifter to replace the great Saturn V. Heck, even a rebuilding of that particular vehicle would have been great!

But unlike some here (not yourself as I do think you at least realize the truth when you see it) I do not blame NASA in any way for the fiasco that has become the manned space program. In fact, I stand utterly amazed that with the type of funding it gets that NASA has done as much as they have. It is a real tribute to the rank and file of the great workforce of NASA and its private contractors that even as much as has been done, has been done!

It is a congress that nickle and dimes the civilian space program while at the same time hands uncontrollable hundreds of billions of dollars (if not trillions of dollars) over to totally unaccountable (to not only the American people, that pay the ultimate bills, but even our representatives in Congress) military "Black Programs" to spend in any way they want too!

Sad, truly sad!

Especially when I think of what Von Braun's original plans for our space program were! We would have colonies on the moon, and at least bases on Mars by now!

Oh well. just perhaps the pure private space industry will succeed! But, I must admit to even not holding my breath there also!

To me anyway (and remember that I was one of those 400,000 or so that helped directly put Americans on the moon) I find the ultimate stupidity in a congress that does not hesitate to give far more than 20% of our wealth and money to efforts to kill other people, and so very little, some 0.5 % or even less, to the only program that can eventually save all mankind from our own follies!

Back in the 1960's NASA got an average of some 2%, could it not be possible (especially in the light of our great generosity towards the financial industry of our last administration, and yes, the current one too) to even raise NASA's budget to at least the 1% level?

Are we the people so incredibly stupid towards the future, that we can not even do that much? Heck, I would even be happy to see some 10% of that increase set aside to help the pure private interests get a real start on placing large numbers of human beings into space!

Oh well, I should know it isn't going to happen anyway! :x :x :x

D

docm

frodo1008":2opgv56o said:
Docm, I must admit that we do not always find each other in agreement, but you are indeed right on in this. I was a great supporter also of the shuttle C idea, and had we done that there would now be no need for a heavy lifter to replace the great Saturn V. Heck, even a rebuilding of that particular vehicle would have been great!

But unlike some here (not yourself as I do think you at least realize the truth when you see it) I do not blame NASA in any way for the fiasco that has become the manned space program. In fact, I stand utterly amazed that with the type of funding it gets that NASA has done as much as they have. It is a real tribute to the rank and file of the great workforce of NASA and its private contractors that even as much as has been done, has been done!

It is a congress that nickle and dimes the civilian space program
Well said save for re-building Saturn V - to expensive - and NASA not having a responsibility for the fiasco. There are many cases where it was wasteful too, especially the Ares/Orion program.

F

frodo1008

OK docm (by the way, first thanks for your positive words) , I do realize that my comments on the Saturn V were somewhat off the wall! Yes, having a purely none reusable heavy lift launcher of the class that NASA now needs to go back to the moon ("and do the other things" ) would indeed be too expensive, which seemed to me was the same conclusion as the Augustine Commission on the Ares V)! No doubt about that.

And yes, NASA at the very least shares in the responsibility for the current Orion fiasco, if nothing else. But once again, with proper funding NASA would not have had to come up with such a kluge (which like the shuttle eventually proved to be even more expensive in the long run)! So, my comment about how Congress handles our manned space program still proves to be true!

I am however, hopeful that the results of this commission will now at least stop NASA and congress from an even bigger fiasco, in even trying to built the Ares V as originally envisioned!

There has got to be both a better and less expensive way of getting back to the moon, and even going beyond!

I personally think that NASA could even use the Delta IV Heavy as a start point, and remember we are not talking about a manned vehicle, so the argument about the so called man-rating thingy does NOT apply here! And then have ULA start to think about building a pure liquid engined, and reusable Very Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle. Especially as NASA has itself now found out that even transporting a Heavy Lift Vehicle with two of the far heavier 5 segment SRB's is going to be too heavy for the current transportation system from the VAB to the launch pads. And rebuilding that system would be just about as expensive as the building of the Ares V itself would have been!

Whereas, with an entirely liquid engined vehicle, regardless of just how much it could place into LEO, it would continue to be fueled with propellant at the pads, and therefore would always be light enough for the current crawler tractors and trackways to handle!

We are the ONLY space program on this planet that uses such heavy and low ISP propulsion elements as the SRB's, and with the retirement of the kluge (although a magnificent kluge) that the space shuttle system was, we should also be retiring these vastly over rated, (and even polluting) SRB's. This is even the position of such newer alt space elements as spacex!

Even the use of the original four segment units for the space shuttle was for political and not technological reasons to mollify the powerful senators from the state of Utah!

Making such a decision would make the program for going back to the moon far less expensive, and generate just as many jobs at the teams of Boeing and LM as it would lose for ATK in Utah. It would then position the possibly far less expensive spacex future vehicle to even lower the program costs by even more in the next decade or so!

And that would be both a better technological solution, as well as an economic one!

Heck, I even think that (like Von Braun did) having a true higher orbit space station (benefiting perhaps Bigeloe, and his excellent space station ideas) as a transfer station, with a dedicated moon transfer vehicle (powered perhaps by the far more fuel efficient and far better ISP VASIMIR engines), with another transfer space station to a dedicated moon lander vehicle in lunar orbit, is by far the more reliable and over all less expensive way to go back to the moon, and even eventually to go on to Mars. Using materials from the moon itself to actually build the space vehicles to go further out into space both safely and far more efficiently.

But, I must admit that would require far more advanced thinking on the part of both Congress and even NASA itself. The current NASA Apollo type of program for going back to the moon will be both far more unreliable (remember Apollo 13?) and in the long run far more expensive than what I have just outlined!

Both Wernher Von Braun and such other early pioneers of the space program as Arthur C. Clark (who was a true scientist and not just a great SCI-FI writer) had all of what I have just outlined down pat in the early 1950's! They were the true technologists, that had both NASA and Congress followed would have had humanity in space as a true space faring civilization by now!

I would like to think that others may be just now coming to that realization, and therefore there is indeed true hope of it being done correctly. But, I still admit to having my own doubts!

E

EarthlingX

I linked these pictures and links in A Kerosene-Fueled X-33 as a Single Stage to Orbit Vehicle, i hope it is not considered spam, if i do it again here, i even think it's more related :
All-Liquid: A Super Heavy Lift Alternative?

atlas5phase2s.jpg
superdelta.jpg

Alternatives:
NASA weighs Ares alternatives, including an heir to the Saturn V

There is another thing, maybe worth to mention.
Angara's new engine, RD-191 is already operational, as we could see on a recent south Korean launch, it is just, as usually, underfunded. I guess, it would be cheap, comparing other options.

B

bdewoody

Prober":30sz20a8 said:
Hi everyone,
I needed to get something off my chest today so I put it down for all to read ..."History repeats".

http://prober-spaceviews.blogspot.com/2009/12/history-repeats.html
Read and if you agree pass the word!

I hope I can find some like minded people. :idea:
I read your blog and I agree to some extent what you were saying. I think it is stupid to retire the shuttles before a replacement is flying. I don't see the Orion as a replacement but rather a new vehicle for a new mission. The shuttle as is is a bit of overkill for the missions that a replacement will carryout. It is a semi-tractor trailer when all we really need is a taxi cab or at most a van. Capsules that land under parachutes are great as escape pods to be used in an emergency but a vehicle that goes to and from orbit to deliver crew should at least have the capability of a lifting body and be able to land horizontally on a runway. That's my opinion

P

Prober

There is another thing, maybe worth to mention.
Angara's new engine, RD-191 is already operational, as we could see on a recent south Korean launch, it is just, as usually, underfunded. I guess, it would be cheap, comparing other options.

My issue NASA is out of the launch business for years, A very poor plan. IMHO, NASA should buy several Soyuz craft just to take care of the ISS. Sure NASA could launch those?

At least its better than paying for a spaceflight and you can keep launches going. :roll:

P

Prober

bdewoody":vfzg3b79 said:
Prober":vfzg3b79 said:
Hi everyone,
I needed to get something off my chest today so I put it down for all to read ..."History repeats".

http://prober-spaceviews.blogspot.com/2009/12/history-repeats.html
Read and if you agree pass the word!

I hope I can find some like minded people. :idea:
I read your blog and I agree to some extent what you were saying. I think it is stupid to retire the shuttles before a replacement is flying.

We the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for a brand new from scratch program. The Apollo Program was all bought and paid for. We should be able to take the designs off the shelf and upgrade and we are good to go.

:cool:

M

MeteorWayne

Of course the designs no longer exist on a shelf anywhere and were based on 1950s technology....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts