Shuttle_RTF: Please read!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shuttle_rtf

Update -<br /><br /> Kandy at NASA mailed me last night saying they would like some more Visa information (given I have to apparently apply for a special visa to 'work' in the US as media). I'm evaluating the process on this as we speak.<br /><br /> Is it me or does the fact they're asking me for this info seem hopeful?<br /><br /> Anyhoo, being as nice as possible to them (obviously) as I'm kinda treating this as a dry run to be able to cover future launches (would love to target for a 2006 launch - I know it's been mentioned that media can expect to wait two years).

S

shuttle_rtf

Thanks Dave. Kandy's great - if anyone on this thread knows her she's a credit to KSC-NASA.<br /><br />There's a real problem with the Visa issue. KSC security are insisting on a Visa number, the US Embassay insist I don't need - and thus won't be granted a Visa. <br /><br />The "I" Visa is the only one for media - yet it is only for Camera crews (obviously that media is a potential threat for filming government property for use by terrorist - I'm assuming).<br /><br />I'm bascially coming over with a laptop and the US Embassy say I'm fine with my "Zero Criminal Convictions, Machine Readable UK Passport for entry in the US for up to 90 days" I'm also clear on any other work Visa as I'm not being assigned to this launch, I own and run my media company and I'm not paying myself on anything related to the NASA site - this site is a dream of mine, that I'm able to do. It's not commerical.<br /><br />So it's a bit of a mess. I've told Kandy so we'll see what comes back. They have my UK Passport numbers so they can pretty much check me out. Kandy did say it's gone very much sky high on security since 9/11 and I've not complained or said anything other than the true fact I totally understand this.<br /><br />Anyone know if there's a UK Consulate in Florida - maybe they'd be better help than the US Embassy in London?<br /><br />Any advise would be great.

N

nacnud

Shuttle_RTF<br /><br />I would read a few of these articles first, from what I can gather you will need an I-visa to work as a reporter in the US.<br /><br />US Embassy London - Consular Section - Members of the Media [usembassy.org.uk]<br /><br />Why is U.S. immigration terrorizing British reporters? [slate.msn.com]<br /><br />Welcome to America [gardian.co.uk]<br /><br />From the top link:<br /><br /><b>Who qualifies: </b><br />While certain activities clearly qualify for “I” classification visa as they are informational in content, many do not and must be considered in the full context of their particular case. In making the determination as to whether or not an activity qualifies for the “I” classification visa, we focus on two issues: is the activity essentially informational, and is it generally associated with the news gathering process. <b><font color="yellow">As a general rule, stories that report on events, including sports events, are essentially informational and are usually appropriate “I” classification visa activities</font></b>[my emphasis]. Stories that involve contrived and staged events, even when unscripted, such as reality television shows, and quiz shows are not primarily informational and do not generally involve journalism. Similarly documentaries involving staged recreations with actors are also not considered informational. Members of the team working on such productions will not qualify for “I” classification visas. They will require the appropriate employment-based (O, P or H) visas. <br />

C

cosmictraveler

To visit the US you don't need a visa but in order to gain acccess to Kennedy your going to need credentials as a "reporter" or other media person. Their security is very tight nowadays so that's why you're getting more questions about who you are. If you would just come over and watch a launch you won't need a visa at all. <br /><br />I went to Saturn launches back in the moon mission days and that was one hell of a vehicle see lift off but the shuttle is about as loud but faster it seems to me. I've been there to see only one shuttle launch even though I live only 5 hours away. I like the TV coverage for it gets you to view areas that spectators can't see from the viewing areas. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>It does not require many words to speak the truth. Chief Joseph</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts