SOHO Comets/Asteroids/Planets

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EarthlingX

I prefer this :

sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov : SOHO Movie Theater

I can set range, resolution and do all sorts of things with animation. It is also much easier later, when the current gif is changed. Easy to get images for download also.

Saturn is that bright spot on the top, going from the middle to exit between 2010-09-17 and 2010-09-20 ? I think it came into view around 12th ?

CME on 13th, 14th, 15th ...

E

EarthlingX

MeteorWayne":1vyxow19 said:
No Saturn didn't come into view until late on the 21st.
Thanks.

Checking on YourSky to get a better idea ...

How much would be LASCO C3 field of view ?

About 20 ?

First time Saturn appearance on 2010-09-21 12:42 ?

M

MeteorWayne

Saturn was about 8 degrees east of the sun when it showed up, so it looks like the E-W FOV is about 16-17 degrees.

E

EarthlingX

Thanks, i think i know now which one it is :cool:

Yea, it seamed like a bit less than 20.

E

EarthlingX

Just one more check :
Did Mercury get in the view on 2010-08-31 00:06 with exit on 2010-09-07 18:45 ?

It's 670 images for the whole period, so it might be best to check just starting and ending day, well, for those who know what to look for ..

For convenience :
SOHO Movie Theater

M

MeteorWayne

That would be about the right time period, along the bottom of the image, from L -> R? That was inferior conjunction, so was a very thin crescent which makes it seem to appear out of nowhere...

E

EarthlingX

MeteorWayne":3gtwiv7k said:
That would be about the right time period, along the bottom of the image, from L -> R? That was inferior conjunction, so was a very thin crescent which makes it seem to appear out of nowhere...
Yes, along the middle bottom, but moving against the static background stars, L-R. Very dim, i lost it a couple of times when i blinked ;)

E

EarthlingX

Mercury transit, from Virgo to Leo, 2010.Aug.31-2010.Sept.07 SOHO Lasco C3 :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8DKitHl6Ew[/youtube]

I had to download images in two parts of 4 days each, it just didn't download faster than 30kB/s, stopped three times, when in two parts it was around 100kB/s, 500 MB of 1k images all together.

There's a couple of nice CMEs too, on 4th.Sept, as an example.

E

EarthlingX

Kreutz-group sungrazer comet :

soho1920_anim.gif

E

EarthlingX

2010-09-29 - 2010-09-30, 29th mostly, it gets very close to the Sun around midnight 29th, appears around 09:00 on 29th, as much as i can see.

SOHO Movie Theater

M

MeteorWayne

The current C3 loop shows Saturn from the left edge through conjunction.

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/LAT ... ent_c3.gif

And as EX pointed out, on the 29th, you can see the tiny comet heading toward the sun from the 4 o'clock position.

It's worth keeping an eye out over the next few days, as the tiny bits of the Kreutz comets sometimes come in bunches...

M

MeteorWayne

Both comets made it into the LASCO C2 Field of View, the first early on the 30th, and the second early on the 2nd.

To see them, go to The SOHO Movie Theater

Select LASCO C2 for the Image type.
Enter 2010-09-30 in the start date for the first, 2010-10-02 for the second.
Leave the end date blank (That gives you one day by default). Hit Search after entering each date.

MW

M

MeteorWayne

At the Movie Theater link above, you need to select at least 150 images on C3 to see the whole thing.

It's also in the C2 field of view, select 50 images.

There are about 5 hours of images missing at the moment (between 0200 and 0700), sometimes these will get filled in later.

Nice tail on this comet!

The bright object with the saturated bins above the sun moving right to left is Mercury (Mag -1.2), the bright star moving left to right that it passes on the way in is Spica (Mag +1)

E

EarthlingX

LASCO C2
from 2010-10-20, but if you really want to see it all from 2010-10-19 16:18;
to 2010-10-21

LASCO C3
from 2010-10-21 to 2010-10-21

M

MeteorWayne

EarthlingX":2zeb1ith said:

You have these backwards. The C3 (The wider view, blue one) the dates should be 2010-10-19 to 2010-10-21.

For the C2 (The closer, orange one), you only have to enter the start date of 2010-10-21; the default is one day, so there's no need to enter an end date.

MW

E

EarthlingX

MeteorWayne":2a6ex3oi said:
EarthlingX":2a6ex3oi said:

You have these backwards. The C3 (The wider view, blue one) the dates should be 2010-10-19 to 2010-10-21.

For the C2 (The closer, orange one), you only have to enter the start date of 2010-10-21; the default is one day, so there's no need to enter an end date.

MW
:oops: True. At least dates and times are ok, right ?

LASCO C3
from 2010-10-20, but if you really want to see it all from 2010-10-19 16:18;
to 2010-10-21

LASCO C2
from 2010-10-21 to 2010-10-21

Found couple of movies :

sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil : Bright Kreutz comet SOHO-1932
Below are two movies of the very bright Kreutz-group comet, SOHO-1932. It was discovered by Bo Zhou from China -- one of our most successful comet-hunters -- in the LASCO C3 images on October 19.

E

EarthlingX

spaceweather.com : BIG BRIGHT OBJECT NEAR THE SUN
Don't panic, it's just Venus. The brilliant evil twin of Earth is passing between our planet and the sun this week, making a bright UFO-like light in SOHO coronagraph images:

The bright rays and luminous bloom centered on the planet are digital artifacts. Venus is so bright, it saturates SOHO's CCD detectors, causing electrons to "bleed" across pixel boundaries. The same thing happens to a lesser degree with Mercury, which is bisected by a horizontal bar--another artifact. Note how the star Spica, dimmer than the planets, appears as a normal pinprick. It does not saturate the CCD.

M

MeteorWayne

Another Sun grazing comet (May not be a Kreutz):

Go here: http://sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov/cgi-bin ... ie_theater

Select C3 and start date 2010-11-13, end date 2010-11-14

For close up, select C2 and enter 2010-11-14 for start date and leave end date blank.

In either case, once you enter the date(s), click on "search", lower right.

MW

Status
Not open for further replies.