Possible Periodicity in Earth Impact from Oort Cloud Comets

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The Oort cloud is further away than the extreme Kuiper belt. <br />Posted by petet</DIV><br /><br />I was just showing the most recent and next close approaches. SOrry to see you're petet again :( <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

silylene

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I was just showing the most recent and next close approaches. SOrry to see you're petet again :( <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>I do wish someone would do a nice paper on the long-term dynamical situation of QW322, and the constraints that survival this delicate binary system places on periodic gravitational influences, putative Nemesis or Nibaru, and close passes of other stars.&nbsp;&nbsp; The Oort cloud is much further out than even the extreme Kuiper belt, and certainly it is possible that the Oort cloud experiences stronger disruptive influences than the extreme Kuiper belt.&nbsp;</p><p>[My other (IE6) computer logs in as 'silylene'.&nbsp; Pluck has been working on it again for the last couple of weeks, I wonder if someone in Pluckdom has done something positive ?&nbsp; My home PC only logs in as 'petet'.&nbsp; I have no idea why&nbsp;this is so&nbsp;(same name, password, etc.&nbsp; And yes, I cleared cookies) ]</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font size="1">petet = <font color="#800000"><strong>silylene</strong></font></font></p><p align="center"><font size="1">Please, please give me my handle back !</font></p> </div>

A

Archer17

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I do wish someone would do a nice paper on the long-term dynamical situation of QW322, and the constraints that survival this delicate binary system places on periodic gravitational influences, putative Nemesis or Nibaru, and close passes of other stars.&nbsp;&nbsp; The Oort cloud is much further out than even the extreme Kuiper belt, and certainly it is possible that the Oort cloud experiences stronger disruptive influences than the extreme Kuiper belt.&nbsp;[My other (IE6) computer logs in as 'silylene'.&nbsp; Pluck has been working on it again for the last couple of weeks, I wonder if someone in Pluckdom has done something positive ?&nbsp; My home PC only logs in as 'petet'.&nbsp; I have no idea why&nbsp;this is so&nbsp;(same name, password, etc.&nbsp; And yes, I cleared cookies) ] <br />Posted by petet</DIV></p><p>I was unaware of QW322's impact on the perturber scenarios of Nemesis and Nibiru, that's good to know if I&nbsp;end up locking horns with any Sitchinites. </p><p>Regarding your home PC, if you have IE7 and have it set up to remember screen-names/passwords you can try deleting your passwords. If that doesn't do the trick then go back to 'Internet Options/Properties,',&nbsp;click on the 'Advanced' tab and then click on the 'Reset' button at the bottom. (You might be able to do this on IE6 as well, I forget what it's advanced tab looks like). Anyway, "resetting" IE will give it a "clean slate." You'll lose any screen names/passwords and will have to re-enable your IE add-ons. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

dragon04

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Gravitational effects from passing through the plane of the galaxy, where most of the galactic mass and molecular clouds are concentrated. The solar system 's orbit is not aligned with the galactic plane but rather passes above and below it during it's inclined orbit. <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>Thanks for the reply, MW... That clears it up fo rme alittle. And I can use all the clearing I can get!</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"2012.. Year of the Dragon!! Get on the Dragon Wagon!".</em> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I must correct myself. If did the math right, a circular orbit at 1.4 LY would be ~ 26 MY. Of course, that would not effect the Oort cloud like a more eccentric orbit would , which would make my statement correct, more or less. I need to crunch some more numbers.... <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Wait a sec Wayne. How do you know that it's a circular and not elliptical orbit in the first place with regards to Nemesis? Can it not be elliptical and be in a mutual gravitational embrace with our Sun and still have a periodicity of 26 million years? </p><p>The planets of our own solar system, as well as the known comets, do not orbit in circular orbits, so why should a mutually attracted star? Do we know the possible&nbsp;mass of the 'Death Star', the alleged Nemesis? How are you sure that its periodic 26 million year pass near us doesn't effect the Oort cloud?&nbsp;&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Wait a sec Wayne. How do you know that it's a circular and not elliptical orbit in the first place with regards to Nemesis? Can it not be elliptical and be in a mutual gravitational embrace with our Sun and still have a periodicity of 26 million years? The planets of our own solar system, as well as the known comets, do not orbit in circular orbits, so why should a mutually attracted star? Do we know the possible&nbsp;mass of the 'Death Star', the alleged Nemesis? How are you sure that its periodic 26 million year pass near us doesn't effect the Oort cloud?&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by ZenGalacticore</DIV><br /><br />If I did my math right, a 26 million year orbit has a semimajor axis ("a") of 1.4 light year (~ 87500 AU). The Outer Oort Cloud is hypothesised to lie between 20,000 and 50,000 AU, though some estimates go as high as 200,000 AU (that seems unlikely, since it's only 265,000 AU to the alpha Centauri system, and the gravitational attraction between the two systems is equal at about half that distance).</p><p>These are big numbers though, so I'm still getting a handle on them.</p><p>If it is an elliptical orbit, that would place the aphelion further away that 1.4 light years, but of course would place the perihelion closer.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">If I did my math right, a 26 million year orbit has a smimajor axis of 1.4 light year (~ 87500 AU). The O...................................................&nbsp; <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</font></DIV></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Hi Wayne,</strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>I do not think for a minute that the Sun can keep an object with such a huge aphelion at all, let alone over geological time. As is known other stars at times pass much closer then 1.4 ly.&nbsp; </strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Such an object would either be snatched & / or perturbed enough to take up it's own independent orbit around the galactic centre.<br /></strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>IMO Nemesis is just a theory & is not in reality a real object. </strong></font></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown. </strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>If I did my math right, a 26 million year orbit has a smimajor axis of 1.4 light year (~ 87500 AU). The Outer Oort Cloud is hypothesised to lie between 20,000 and 50,000 AU, though some estimates go as high as 200,000 AU (that seems unlikely, since it's only 265,000 AU to the alpha Centauri system, and the gravitational attraction between the two systems is equal at about half that distance.These are big numbers though, so I'm still getting a handle on them.If it is an elliptical orbit, that would phace the aphelion further away that 1.4 light years, but of course would place the perihelion closer.&nbsp; <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Thanks for the info. I thought the thinking was now that the Oort cloud extends in an orbit around the Sun at about 1.5&nbsp;to 2 light-years, or almost half-way to Alpha. Invigorating isn't it? I mean, that a small star like the Sun can have that kind of gravitational clout up to 2 LYs out. Interesting how this coincides with&nbsp;the average distance between stars of about 5 light-years, excluding galactic hubs and globular clusters. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi Wayne, try Gliese 710. I could imagine rogue planets etc, passing through the Oort Cloud causing some comets ti be disrupted, but this would not be periodic, more random events.&nbsp;Thge interstteler medium in the spiral arms & / or on the galactic plane may be slightly denser, potentially causing some disruption, but I do not think Nemesis exists & as you correctly said an orbital period of 26 million years around our Sun would not be possible as the aphgelion would be well outside the Sun's Hill Sphere, & could be snatched by Alpha Centauri, Sirius, Procyon, etc.Andrew Brown. <br />Posted by 3488</DIV><br /><br />Rogue planets, planets that have lost their parent star and are roaming interstellar space, is one hell'uva an interesting, highly likely hypothesis. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p>Just playing devil's advocate here.&nbsp; To be quite honest (as if I've never been)... I don't know jack squat about our local neighborhood.&nbsp; However, just to add fuel to the fire:</p><p>http://muller.lbl.gov/pages/nemfornem.htm </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.