space propulsion

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EarthlingX

drwayne":2kjx7q9f said:
"if it is definately impossible"

Important point that I have tried to make a couple of times. Given that something is considered
impossible given our current understanding of the way things work is NOT the same as saying
something is impossible.

Logically, it may be impossible, or it may be possible and we don't understand something. Or it may be that it
is impossible AND we really don't understand something.
Like a mass with a negative gravity to enable creation of the space wormholes ? Is the Universe flat or curved ? what about all hypothetical 11 dimensions ? such things ?

(i smell a headache coming up here, my fault, can't help it, getting pills ready ... )

N

nec208

nec208":olmm4cuu said:
I would say that, given our current understanding of the way the universe works, such a process would not appear to have a way to work to achieve what is so routine in the SF universe. However, it is of course possible that some aspect of our understanding is wrong.

The understanding of physics is nothing travels faster the light.The scfi-shows are saying to get around this is go in some other demotion or hyper window.But I'm not sure if physics talks about this.

Is is also my understanding to travel faster than the speed of light would need more energy than the universe has.And The mass of the object trying to travel faster than the speed of light the mass would get so big it would explode.

I do not know if physics have proven if other demotion or hyper window is real or not.Other thing with out a demotion or hyper window going the speed of light or faster may be so fast the ship can crach into a star ,planet or space rock.It is like going 300 KM down the city streets of LA not crashing into any thing.That going that fast with out an other demotion or hyper window may be very unsafe.

Thank you for interest in the question re electro-mechanical devices to propell spacecraft. This was a serious question as I am not convinced that this cannot be done. However I didn't want to waste time thinking about ways to do this if it is definately impossible or has been achieved already. There is mega bucks in cracking this one.
=========================================================================

I'm not sure how electro-mechanical devices will allow a work around for faster the light travel.

U

undidly

nec208":363upkrw said:
I would say that, given our current understanding of the way the universe works, such a process would not appear to have a way to work to achieve what is so routine in the SF universe. However, it is of course possible that some aspect of our understanding is wrong.

It is like going 300 KM down the city streets of LA not crashing into any thing.That going that fast with out an other demotion or hyper window may be very unsafe.

Unsafe if you travel at this speed on the surface of the Earth.
Try displacing your car at right angles to the surface and try again.
Safer now.Your car is an airplane and can travel much faster than on the surface .
It is not held back by the characteristics of LA (other cars,bends in the road).
The distance to your destination is also less by an amount that depends on how much your surface (road) is curved.
The displaced path can be straighter.
It can take a parallel path to the road and return to the surface at any time.

So your space ship only does C?.
Try displacing your space ship at right angles to the volume of space you are in and try again.
Safer now.Your ship car is in hyperspace and can travel much faster than in 3D space.
It is not held back by the characteristics of 3D space time.
The hyperspace distance to your destination is also less by an amount that depends on how much your 3D spacetime is curved.The hyperspace path can be straighter.

It can take a parallel path to the original and return to 3D space at any time.

U

undidly

MeteorWayne":5viziwct said:
What the heck are you babbling about?????

Tell me the first part that you do not understand.

I will explain in as much detail as you want.

M

MeteorWayne

"Unsafe if you travel at this speed on the surface of the Earth.
Safer now"

Huh???

U

undidly

MeteorWayne":27glf9zp said:
"Unsafe if you travel at this speed on the surface of the Earth.
Safer now"

Huh???

Safer and quicker to fly than drive.
Altitude is at right angles to the Earth surface.

Safer and quicker to travel though hyperspace than 3D spacetime.
Hyperspace is at right angles to 3D spacetime.

M

MeteorWayne

Riiiight. I knew this thread was headed toward the Unexplained :roll:

N

nec208

The whole post seems to have no point to me

True what is Altitude to the right angles

Safer and quicker to fly than drive.
Altitude is at right angles to the Earth surface.

No it is only safe if there no objects in front of you. Why is it safer to go faster on highway than city streets ? A straight road and no stop and go like in the city streets all the traffic moves.On city streets it is stop and go you get red lights and cars parking and pulling in front of you .It is safer to fly than drive do to you do not have this stop and go and can fly over buildings , no taffic lights and other traffic other than planes that have to slow down by airports do to lots taffic by airports ( other planes)

In space it would only be safe if the stars and planets are far apart so you can go fast and not run into it.

Has for Hyperspace where you out phase of matter or in other demetion that has not been proven by any scientist yet !!!!!

N

nec208

Anyways back on top .

There is no proof if it is true or not that a out of phase of matter or a demetion can be use to travel faster than the speed of light by going in some kind of Hyperspace where you out phase of matter or in some demetion ..

O

origin

nec208":38y2pstf said:
There is no proof if it is true or not that a out of phase of matter or a demetion can be use to travel faster than the speed of light by going in some kind of Hyperspace where you out phase of matter or in some demetion ..

Good point. There is also no proof if it is true or not that running and entire marathon with an armadillo on your pants won't result in spontaneous human combustion.

However, I think it is a safe asumption to consider both your statement and my statement as worthless babble. The only difference is at least my statement is testable (but not by me).

M

MeteorWayne

What the heck is a demetion? It's a simple question really. Give me a definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts