Space threats, NORAD upgrade may spur new private defense spending in Canada

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
Interesting that the Space Force model has been adopted, given the amount of derision aimed at the concept from when it was first proposed.

Steve Carrell's Space Force on Netflix is a prime example of attempted scoffing at such a notion, which has aged like fine milk.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Interesting that the Space Force model has been adopted, given the amount of derision aimed at the concept from when it was first proposed.

Steve Carrell's Space Force on Netflix is a prime example of attempted scoffing at such a notion, which has aged like fine milk.
The Space Force isn't exactly new, there has been a very large portion of the US DoD joint community that has been working "space" issues for many years. The designation of a "Space Force" has been a subject of great debate, one that I would argue was not needed.

Reactions: Cdr. Shepard
Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
The Space Force isn't exactly new, there has been a very large portion of the US DoD joint community that has been working "space" issues for many years. The designation of a "Space Force" has been a subject of great debate, one that I would argue was not needed.
I agree it wasn't necessary to designate one. It does seem to have been normalized, though.

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
Not given a lot of choice when enacted via law. It doesn't change the fact that the designation was superfluous.
Normalized beyond our borders, I meant, given that Canada is following suit. I don't understand what point you're trying to argue -- I already agreed that the designation is superfluous. I long assumed existing capabilities of other branches were simply binned together under a single "branch," newly designated the Space Force, without any meaningful change in how we operate in space.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Normalized beyond our borders, I meant, given that Canada is following suit. I don't understand what point you're trying to argue -- I already agreed that the designation is superfluous. I long assumed existing capabilities of other branches were simply binned together under a single "branch," newly designated the Space Force, without any meaningful change in how we operate in space.
No argument. You and I agree.

Reactions: Cdr. Shepard