Spacex Falcon 1 Flight 5 Launch

Page 3 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boris_Badenov

Razaksat To Be Launched July 14
PUTRAJAYA, June 17 (Bernama) -- RazakSAT, the country's second remote sensing satellite, that was supposed to be launched on April 21 but put off due to technical reasons will be launched on July 14.

Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Dr Maximus Ongkili said the date was set by Space Exploration Technology (SpaceX) which is responsible for the launch after they had corrected technical problems which were excessive vibrations in the rocket launcher.

RazakSAT will be launched from Kwajalein Atoll, Republic of Marshall Islands witnessed by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak from the Putrajaya International Convention Centre, he said.

J

job1207

July 14th will be a big day for SpaceX and for US spaceflight. I hope that all goes well. That reminds me, how is the Orbital Space Sciences COTS program going. I will have to look that up.

OSC plans to fly in the 4th qtr of 2010. Interesting. Spacex is ahead of OSC. Of course, they did get the contract later, but they are an established company.

http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/release.asp?prid=644

S

shuttle_guy

With just over 2 weeks to the launch I hope all is going well with the Falcon 1. They REALLY need for this launch to be successful. I wish them luck.

B

Boris_Badenov

10 days until Falcon 1 Flight 5 & no news. I hope no new equals good news this time around.

M

mr_mark

Ok, It's a big few days for both NASA and Spacex! Wishing both the shuttle and Falcon 1 flight 5 successful missions.

M

MeteorWayne

Indeed, the launches are scheduled almost exactly 48 hours apart!

M

MeteorWayne

Here's what frustrates me so much about SpaceX. It's less than 48 hours till the scheduled launch, and there hasn't been an update on this launch on their site since June 1st, 6 weeks ago. :(

The last update of any kind was about Falcon 9 and that was 4 weeks ago.

Poor PR IMHO....

Edit, correction, less than 52 hours...

D

docm

scottb50":2tvaodi5 said:
Similar problems have come up on ARES, more to be expected since it is a modification to an existing motor, with the Falcons being clean sheet of paper designs,
Not to mention the difference between solid and liquid engines, with the former being more "vibration prone".

B

Boris_Badenov

Falcon 1 Flight 5 is still on the SpaceFlightNow launch schedule for tomorrow. I'd think if there was a problem we'd have heard something by now. I've got my fingers & toes crossed. :ugeek:

M

mr_mark

this just in from Malaysia....The minister was also informed that the satellite and launch vehicle, the Falcon 1, which is operated by United States's Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX), have now been erected on the launch pad at Omelek Island, the launch site for Falcon 1.

However it said all issues related to the problem had been rectified with upgrading carried out by SpaceX.

"I am satisfied with the preparations and necessary steps taken by ATSB and SpaceX to ensure a smooth launch. We hope all Malaysians will pray for the successful launch of RazakSAT," Ongkili said.

M

MeteorWayne

Still not a peep on the SpaceX site about this launch since the June 1 update.

D

docm

They usually put up the 'cast link the day of the launch a few hours before T=0, which is Tuesday.

M

MeteorWayne

docm":3m38p6mx said:
They usually put up the 'cast link the day of the launch a few hours before T=0, which is Tuesday.

It's actually 7PM Monday EDT :)

B

Boris_Badenov

MeteorWayne":1l8een83 said:
docm":1l8een83 said:

It's actually 7PM Monday EDT :)
Which puts it about 4pm here in Show Low.

M

MeteorWayne

Less than 24 hours to the start of the launch window, and not a peep from the SpaceX site :( :( :( :(

D

dragon04

How neat will it be if we have to run two open windows to watch the Falcon and the Orbiter launch. Launch times could be very close...... hmmmm.... Would SpaceX delay their flight in deference to the Shuttle?

M

MeteorWayne

How the heck would we know? SpaceX might not announce the flight until after it has happened :(

M

mr_mark

The launch window for the Shuttle and Falcon 1 flight 5 are an hour apart hmmm........... Could be cool if they both launch right after each other.

D

dragon04

MeteorWayne":3izepvhk said:
How the heck would we know? SpaceX might not announce the flight until after it has happened :(

Let's remember that SpaceX has a lot of US Government money in its pockets. SpaceX to date has always been very forthcoming with info as far as I can tell.

Now, STS-127 has been delayed into the same day and almost exact time as Falcon 1 - 5. I don't presume to know if there are issues, but I also don't know that there have been major launches by multiple space agencies on the same day ever in the history of spaceflight. Especially if humans are at risk.

Just postulating here.

M

MeteorWayne

mr_mark":1mnav3h5 said:
The launch window for the Shuttle and Falcon 1 flight 5 are an hour apart hmmm........... Could be cool if they both launch right after each other.

Actually, they could be as little as 9 minutes apart. The shuttle launch is 22:51 UTC, and the Falcon launch window allegedly opens at 23:00... but of course SpeceX has said nothing :(

J

js117

Spacex web site does not have any information on the lunch today.
Not realy like them.
Not have a web porthole up to watch the launch.

M

Maitri982

My guess is that the shuttle is delayed today and SpaceX is a "go"...but i await word as you all do...

Cheers,
M

M

Maitri982

From Space.com:

SpaceX is expected to launch a small Malaysian satellite Monday night during the fifth flight of the company's Falcon 1 booster.

The company, formed in 2002 to lower the cost of space travel, had not officially confirmed the scheduled launch late Sunday night, but sources indicated preparations were on track.

The 70-foot-tall rocket has five hours to launch Monday, beginning at 2300 GMT (7 p.m. EDT).

Liftoff will occur from Omelek Island, a seven-acre strip of land at Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. The launch pad is part of the U.S. Army's Reagan Test Site.

The launch window opens at 11 a.m. Tuesday local time in the Marshall Islands.

Fueled by refined kerosene and liquid oxygen, the black-and-white launcher will propel the RazakSAT spacecraft into orbit during a mission featuring two burns of the upper stage.

The flight was postponed from April 20 to give engineers more time to remedy launch vibrations that could damage the satellite on its way to space. SpaceX installed a vibration isolation system to reduce loads on the satellite, the company said in a statement.

RazakSAT is launching for ATSB, a Malaysian satellite operator pioneering space technology in that country.

The 400-pound satellite is bound for a circular orbit about 425 miles high with an inclination of 9 degrees, according to ATSB.

Monday's launch will be the fifth time the start-up company has tried to launch the small two-stage booster. The first three Falcon 1 rockets fell short of orbit during launches in 2006, 2007 and August 2008.

The privately-developed rocket finally achieved orbit in September 2008 with a dummy payload.

The successful launch also tested the upper stage's ability to restart its engine, a critical capability that will be needed to deliver RazakSAT to its operational orbit.

RazakSAT carries a medium-sized aperture camera, or MAC, for Earth observations. The imager has a black-and-white resolution of about 8.2 feet and a color resolution of approximately 16.4 feet, according to ATSB.

The six-sided satellite, standing nearly four feet tall, will be used by customers, researchers and government users.

Applications for RazakSAT imagery include agriculture, environmental monitoring, exploration, forestry, mapping, transportation, utilities management and urban planning, according to ATSB.

The satellite's low-inclination orbit will bring RazakSAT over Malaysia up to a dozen times each day, increasing domestic image coverage over existing Earth observation orbiters.

RazakSAT is ATSB's second satellite, launching almost nine years after the smaller TiungSAT craft.

If you will be away from your computer on Monday, sign up for our Twitter feed to get text message updates on your cellphone. U.S. readers can also sign up from their phone by texting "follow spaceflightnow" to 40404. (Standard text messaging charges apply.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts