SpaceX Falcon I - Flight 3 Launch Failure T+2:20

Page 18 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vattas

<p>DrRocket, do you think that they are not doing all the things that you mentioned in your post?</p><p>Somehow I&nbsp; think, that getting something to at least 150km+ up is not what every amateur could do... Don't you think that they have many engineers with the same knowledge as yours in their team?</p><p>I suspect, that Musk's statement "we could launch tomorrow if we had vehicle on the pad" is just some kind of pose. Of course they wouldn't... There will be reviews of possible solutions, more investigation etc etc. </p>

T

tanstaafl76

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>Well I don't think we're going to have to wait long to find out.&nbsp; Flight 4 will be a demonstration flight without a payload.&nbsp; If it's not a successful flight, you can stick a fork in SpaceX.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

tanstaafl76

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>Well I don't think we're going to have to wait long to find out.&nbsp; Flight 4 will be a demonstration flight without a payload.&nbsp; If it's not a successful flight, you can stick a fork in SpaceX.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

docm

You can say that'll stick a fork in them, but they have funding for several more launches including F9's.&nbsp; If those work do you think that will be ignored?&nbsp; I don't. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

docm

You can say that'll stick a fork in them, but they have funding for several more launches including F9's.&nbsp; If those work do you think that will be ignored?&nbsp; I don't. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

tanstaafl76

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>If Falcon 1 Flight 4 blows up or otherwise fails, their funding will disappear because no one will be willing to give them a payload to launch.</p><p>&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

tanstaafl76

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>If Falcon 1 Flight 4 blows up or otherwise fails, their funding will disappear because no one will be willing to give them a payload to launch.</p><p>&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

NASAwatch.com&nbsp; has posted the full launch video as seen from the second stage. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

NASAwatch.com&nbsp; has posted the full launch video as seen from the second stage. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

newsartist

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>NASAwatch.com&nbsp; has posted the full launch video as seen from the second stage. <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>Thanks for that shuttle_guy!<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

newsartist

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>NASAwatch.com&nbsp; has posted the full launch video as seen from the second stage. <br />Posted by shuttle_guy</DIV></p><p>Thanks for that shuttle_guy!<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>DrRocket, do you think that they are not doing all the things that you mentioned in your post?Somehow I&nbsp; think, that getting something to at least 150km+ up is not what every amateur could do... Don't you think that they have many engineers with the same knowledge as yours in their team?I suspect, that Musk's statement "we could launch tomorrow if we had vehicle on the pad" is just some kind of pose. Of course they wouldn't... There will be reviews of possible solutions, more investigation etc etc. <br />Posted by vattas</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>No I don't think they are doing the things that I mentioned.&nbsp; If they are doing them then they are doing a totally inadequate job of it.&nbsp; Do I don't think they have many engineers wit the same knowledge as mine (and others).&nbsp; If they did they would not be doing what they are doing and they would not be making such amateurish mistakes.&nbsp; If Musk's statement is a pose then he needs to take a different pose.&nbsp; It is a completely outrageous statement on the part of a person who is supposed to be leading the effort.&nbsp; It is the statement of a rank amateur.&nbsp; <br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

dwightlooi

<p>I am just curious... if separation is such an issue and such a focal point of launch failures, why not have the upper stage fire while still attached to the 1st stage instead of waitinf for separation?</p><p>To separate the stages before hand, you need to time the separation event. You need to rely on sometimes unreliable pneumatic pushers or multiple small solid motors. You also need to ensure these separation devices provide sufficient ullage settling effect so you upper stage fuel is covering your fuel pick up points.</p><p>If you fire the upper stage while it is still attached to the 1st stage, triggering it not by pre-determined timing but simply but an accelerometer detecting the fall off in acceleration at the end of the 1st stage burn, you get rid of the aforementioned problems. The stages are not secured vetically, they are simply stacked with a rod in tube type interface and you can pull them apart longitudally at any time. The weight of the upper stage and the compressive loads during ascent is what keeps them together. Instead of an enclosed staging adapter, you simply have an open truss or a cylinder with blow out panels towards the lower end. A cone in the middle, below theupper stage nozzle, deflects thrust to the sides. When the 1st stage engine burns out and its thrust falls off, the accelerometer based simply fires the upper stage.</p><p>Why can't it work that way? </p>

D

dwightlooi

<p>I am just curious... if separation is such an issue and such a focal point of launch failures, why not have the upper stage fire while still attached to the 1st stage instead of waitinf for separation?</p><p>To separate the stages before hand, you need to time the separation event. You need to rely on sometimes unreliable pneumatic pushers or multiple small solid motors. You also need to ensure these separation devices provide sufficient ullage settling effect so you upper stage fuel is covering your fuel pick up points.</p><p>If you fire the upper stage while it is still attached to the 1st stage, triggering it not by pre-determined timing but simply but an accelerometer detecting the fall off in acceleration at the end of the 1st stage burn, you get rid of the aforementioned problems. The stages are not secured vetically, they are simply stacked with a rod in tube type interface and you can pull them apart longitudally at any time. The weight of the upper stage and the compressive loads during ascent is what keeps them together. Instead of an enclosed staging adapter, you simply have an open truss or a cylinder with blow out panels towards the lower end. A cone in the middle, below theupper stage nozzle, deflects thrust to the sides. When the 1st stage engine burns out and its thrust falls off, the accelerometer based simply fires the upper stage.</p><p>Why can't it work that way? </p>

T

tanstaafl76

<p>Not sure dwight as I'm a total layman in terms of this stuff, but I would guess that since it's such a tight fit between the first and second stage that it could damage the second stage to fire the engine prior to the first stage seperating and being clear.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

T

tanstaafl76

<p>Not sure dwight as I'm a total layman in terms of this stuff, but I would guess that since it's such a tight fit between the first and second stage that it could damage the second stage to fire the engine prior to the first stage seperating and being clear.</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I am just curious... if separation is such an issue and such a focal point of launch failures, why not have the upper stage fire while still attached to the 1st stage instead of waitinf for separation?To separate the stages before hand, you need to time the separation event. You need to rely on sometimes unreliable pneumatic pushers or multiple small solid motors. You also need to ensure these separation devices provide sufficient ullage settling effect so you upper stage fuel is covering your fuel pick up points.If you fire the upper stage while it is still attached to the 1st stage, triggering it not by pre-determined timing but simply but an accelerometer detecting the fall off in acceleration at the end of the 1st stage burn, you get rid of the aforementioned problems. The stages are not secured vetically, they are simply stacked with a rod in tube type interface and you can pull them apart longitudally at any time. The weight of the upper stage and the compressive loads during ascent is what keeps them together. Instead of an enclosed staging adapter, you simply have an open truss or a cylinder with blow out panels towards the lower end. A cone in the middle, below theupper stage nozzle, deflects thrust to the sides. When the 1st stage engine burns out and its thrust falls off, the accelerometer based simply fires the upper stage.Why can't it work that way? <br />Posted by dwightlooi</DIV></p><p>If the Space-X design can be pulled apart vertically at any time then that is a most unusual design, and I don't understand the role of the explosive bolts in such a design.&nbsp; Most launchers are not constructed in that manner.&nbsp; I would think stiffness an control would be an issue with a design like that.</p><p>But in any case it is not necessary to have the stages widely separated before the upper stage is ignited.&nbsp; In fact the system that you are describing is not really unusual.&nbsp; You need to do a couple of things.&nbsp; First, you need to have the stages separated in the sense of not being firmly attached to one another before the upper stage is ignited.&nbsp; Second, you need to have the lower stage be essentially non-propulsive so that you do not have recontact after separation, or you need to at least have very low thrust and some means of absorbing a light recontact without damage to the upper stage.&nbsp; It is quite common, and in fact normal, for the second stage ignition to be triggered by a sensor that tells you that the lower stage is not longer providing thrust.&nbsp; You can do that with an accelerometer or with a pressure gauge, if you know something about the expected thrust or pressure profile (and you should know this).&nbsp; Triggering second stage ignition off of nothing more than timing is a serious mistake.</p><p>I would not rely on pneumatic pushers or on multiple small rocket motors (or even one auxiliary motor)&nbsp;for staging.&nbsp; All that is needed is good engineering of the overal event.&nbsp; An open truss for the interstage has been considered, but I don't know of any design like that that has flown.&nbsp; There would be some serious aerodynamics to consider before jumping into that.&nbsp; You don't really need blow-out panels either.&nbsp; </p><p>If there the stage connection has been severed, you can ignite the upper stage and fly away from the lower stage.&nbsp; You need to be a bit careful about the ignition pressure transient and pressurization of the interstage (the interstage is the coupling between the two stages.&nbsp; You also need to be careful about the aerodynamics during staging so that there is no relative rotation between the two stages that could cause damage to the upper stage.&nbsp; This can be handled by the design of the staging event.&nbsp; You can use rails to guide the separation, you can use springs to push the stages apart, or if you are high enough that aerodynamic forces are not too bad, you can simply fly away.&nbsp; Also there is some leeway in how much of the interstage you carry with you.&nbsp;All this takes some careful thought and some sophisticated fluid dynamics modeling.&nbsp; But it can be done and has been done many times.</p><p>Basically there are several ways to skin this cat.&nbsp; It takes a bit of engineering and some discipline during the design phase.&nbsp; The problem is that Space-X apparently lacks the expertise and the&nbsp; discipline.&nbsp; The mistakes that they have made are not the sort of mistakes that ought to be forgiven.&nbsp; They simply reek of amateur incompetence.</p><p>The problem is not so much the individual engineers, but the overall lack of discipline and expertise in the organization.&nbsp; A good organization would have tight discipline and then a mix of experienced and newer engineers.&nbsp; But the tight discipline is absolutely crucial and Space-X has demonstrated that they simply don't have it.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I am just curious... if separation is such an issue and such a focal point of launch failures, why not have the upper stage fire while still attached to the 1st stage instead of waitinf for separation?To separate the stages before hand, you need to time the separation event. You need to rely on sometimes unreliable pneumatic pushers or multiple small solid motors. You also need to ensure these separation devices provide sufficient ullage settling effect so you upper stage fuel is covering your fuel pick up points.If you fire the upper stage while it is still attached to the 1st stage, triggering it not by pre-determined timing but simply but an accelerometer detecting the fall off in acceleration at the end of the 1st stage burn, you get rid of the aforementioned problems. The stages are not secured vetically, they are simply stacked with a rod in tube type interface and you can pull them apart longitudally at any time. The weight of the upper stage and the compressive loads during ascent is what keeps them together. Instead of an enclosed staging adapter, you simply have an open truss or a cylinder with blow out panels towards the lower end. A cone in the middle, below theupper stage nozzle, deflects thrust to the sides. When the 1st stage engine burns out and its thrust falls off, the accelerometer based simply fires the upper stage.Why can't it work that way? <br />Posted by dwightlooi</DIV></p><p>If the Space-X design can be pulled apart vertically at any time then that is a most unusual design, and I don't understand the role of the explosive bolts in such a design.&nbsp; Most launchers are not constructed in that manner.&nbsp; I would think stiffness an control would be an issue with a design like that.</p><p>But in any case it is not necessary to have the stages widely separated before the upper stage is ignited.&nbsp; In fact the system that you are describing is not really unusual.&nbsp; You need to do a couple of things.&nbsp; First, you need to have the stages separated in the sense of not being firmly attached to one another before the upper stage is ignited.&nbsp; Second, you need to have the lower stage be essentially non-propulsive so that you do not have recontact after separation, or you need to at least have very low thrust and some means of absorbing a light recontact without damage to the upper stage.&nbsp; It is quite common, and in fact normal, for the second stage ignition to be triggered by a sensor that tells you that the lower stage is not longer providing thrust.&nbsp; You can do that with an accelerometer or with a pressure gauge, if you know something about the expected thrust or pressure profile (and you should know this).&nbsp; Triggering second stage ignition off of nothing more than timing is a serious mistake.</p><p>I would not rely on pneumatic pushers or on multiple small rocket motors (or even one auxiliary motor)&nbsp;for staging.&nbsp; All that is needed is good engineering of the overal event.&nbsp; An open truss for the interstage has been considered, but I don't know of any design like that that has flown.&nbsp; There would be some serious aerodynamics to consider before jumping into that.&nbsp; You don't really need blow-out panels either.&nbsp; </p><p>If there the stage connection has been severed, you can ignite the upper stage and fly away from the lower stage.&nbsp; You need to be a bit careful about the ignition pressure transient and pressurization of the interstage (the interstage is the coupling between the two stages.&nbsp; You also need to be careful about the aerodynamics during staging so that there is no relative rotation between the two stages that could cause damage to the upper stage.&nbsp; This can be handled by the design of the staging event.&nbsp; You can use rails to guide the separation, you can use springs to push the stages apart, or if you are high enough that aerodynamic forces are not too bad, you can simply fly away.&nbsp; Also there is some leeway in how much of the interstage you carry with you.&nbsp;All this takes some careful thought and some sophisticated fluid dynamics modeling.&nbsp; But it can be done and has been done many times.</p><p>Basically there are several ways to skin this cat.&nbsp; It takes a bit of engineering and some discipline during the design phase.&nbsp; The problem is that Space-X apparently lacks the expertise and the&nbsp; discipline.&nbsp; The mistakes that they have made are not the sort of mistakes that ought to be forgiven.&nbsp; They simply reek of amateur incompetence.</p><p>The problem is not so much the individual engineers, but the overall lack of discipline and expertise in the organization.&nbsp; A good organization would have tight discipline and then a mix of experienced and newer engineers.&nbsp; But the tight discipline is absolutely crucial and Space-X has demonstrated that they simply don't have it.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

Bytor_YYZ

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I</p><p>1.&nbsp; why not have the upper stage fire while still attached to the 1st stage instead of waitinf for separation?</p><p>2, To separate the stages before hand, you need to time the separation event. You need to rely on sometimes unreliable pneumatic pushers or multiple small solid motors.</p><p> 3. You also need to ensure these separation devices provide sufficient ullage settling effect so you upper stage fuel is covering your fuel pick up points.</p><p> 4The stages are not secured vetically, they are simply stacked with a rod in tube type interface and you can pull them apart longitudally at any time. Posted by dwightlooi</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>1.&nbsp; See most russian launch vehicles and the Titan II/III</p><p>2.&nbsp; They are not unreliable.&nbsp; Delta I, II, & IV have been using them for decades without failure.&nbsp; Timing is not an issue, it is an easy function </p><p>3.&nbsp; No problem, see #2 </p><p>4.&nbsp; Have to be secured and can't be an slip interface.&nbsp; The stages would bang against each other during flight, despite the acceleration.&nbsp; </p>

B

Bytor_YYZ

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I</p><p>1.&nbsp; why not have the upper stage fire while still attached to the 1st stage instead of waitinf for separation?</p><p>2, To separate the stages before hand, you need to time the separation event. You need to rely on sometimes unreliable pneumatic pushers or multiple small solid motors.</p><p> 3. You also need to ensure these separation devices provide sufficient ullage settling effect so you upper stage fuel is covering your fuel pick up points.</p><p> 4The stages are not secured vetically, they are simply stacked with a rod in tube type interface and you can pull them apart longitudally at any time. Posted by dwightlooi</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>1.&nbsp; See most russian launch vehicles and the Titan II/III</p><p>2.&nbsp; They are not unreliable.&nbsp; Delta I, II, & IV have been using them for decades without failure.&nbsp; Timing is not an issue, it is an easy function </p><p>3.&nbsp; No problem, see #2 </p><p>4.&nbsp; Have to be secured and can't be an slip interface.&nbsp; The stages would bang against each other during flight, despite the acceleration.&nbsp; </p>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;1.&nbsp; See most russian launch vehicles and the Titan II/III2.&nbsp; They are not unreliable.&nbsp; Delta I, II, & IV have been using them for decades without failure.&nbsp; Timing is not an issue, it is an easy function 3.&nbsp; No problem, see #2 4.&nbsp; Have to be secured and can't be an slip interface.&nbsp; The stages would bang against each other during flight, despite the acceleration.&nbsp; <br />Posted by Bytor_YYZ</DIV><br /><br />So Jim, back again n your 5th name? I think you're going for the all time multi named banning! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;1.&nbsp; See most russian launch vehicles and the Titan II/III2.&nbsp; They are not unreliable.&nbsp; Delta I, II, & IV have been using them for decades without failure.&nbsp; Timing is not an issue, it is an easy function 3.&nbsp; No problem, see #2 4.&nbsp; Have to be secured and can't be an slip interface.&nbsp; The stages would bang against each other during flight, despite the acceleration.&nbsp; <br />Posted by Bytor_YYZ</DIV><br /><br />So Jim, back again n your 5th name? I think you're going for the all time multi named banning! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

shuttle_guy

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>..............................An open truss for the interstage has been considered, but I don't know of any design like that that has flown.&nbsp; There would be some serious aerodynamics to consider before jumping into that.&nbsp; ............................. <br />Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;I think several Russian vaunch vehicles such as the Soyuz booster have a open truss between the first and secon stage.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts