SpaceX to build a BFR

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chriscdc

An interesting article in the space review about SpaceX's plans.<br /><br />http://www.thespacereview.com/article/497/1<br /><br />Including Elon Musks plans to build a BFR (B for big, R for rocket) that will be powered by the merlin 2 which will be only slightly less powerful than Energias RD-170. He also wants it to be 'man rated' and capable of getting 100 tons in LEO.

C

chriscdc

An interesting article in the space review about SpaceX's plans.<br /><br />http://www.thespacereview.com/article/497/1<br /><br />Including Elon Musks plans to build a BFR (B for big, R for rocket) that will be powered by the merlin 2 which will be only slightly less powerful than Energias RD-170. He also wants it to be 'man rated' and capable of getting 100 tons in LEO.

S

shyningnight

Interesting, and exciting!<br />I'm an avid supporter of SpaceX...<br /><br />But, not a blind kool-aid drinker for them..<br />I'm waiting for their number of successful flights to go from "0", to " />0".<br /><br />Once they have some hardware that has actually FLOWN... I'm gonna be one of their biggest cheerleaders!<br />For today, I say "Show me".<br /><br />Paul F.

S

shyningnight

Interesting, and exciting!<br />I'm an avid supporter of SpaceX...<br /><br />But, not a blind kool-aid drinker for them..<br />I'm waiting for their number of successful flights to go from "0", to " />0".<br /><br />Once they have some hardware that has actually FLOWN... I'm gonna be one of their biggest cheerleaders!<br />For today, I say "Show me".<br /><br />Paul F.

S

shyningnight

Oh.. and that middle word you were looking for in "BFR"...<br />F stands for "Fabulous". ;-)<br /><br /><br />Paul F.

S

shyningnight

Oh.. and that middle word you were looking for in "BFR"...<br />F stands for "Fabulous". ;-)<br /><br /><br />Paul F.

C

chriscdc

Thinking about it, thats what John Carmack should call his first manned orbital space-craft (they will succeed and I'll put my fingers in my ears and shout loudly at anyone who tries to shake my belief in armadillo aerospace).

C

chriscdc

Thinking about it, thats what John Carmack should call his first manned orbital space-craft (they will succeed and I'll put my fingers in my ears and shout loudly at anyone who tries to shake my belief in armadillo aerospace).

J

josh_simonson

BFR is also a line of revolvers offered by magnum research. Stands for "biggest, finest revolver" and they're offerend in crazy calibers like 45-70 and 444. <br /><br />If SpaceX can offer a HLV for the price of the EELV launchers, the market should provide HLV payloads. At the very least customers can cut corners on weight and just use the HLV to brute force the launch.

J

josh_simonson

BFR is also a line of revolvers offered by magnum research. Stands for "biggest, finest revolver" and they're offerend in crazy calibers like 45-70 and 444. <br /><br />If SpaceX can offer a HLV for the price of the EELV launchers, the market should provide HLV payloads. At the very least customers can cut corners on weight and just use the HLV to brute force the launch.

M

mattblack

GO ELON!!!<br /><br />But get your first bird up there first. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

M

mattblack

GO ELON!!!<br /><br />But get your first bird up there first. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

S

shoogerbrugge

another promise and another delay.<br /><br />Sorry its all getting a bit old, I'd love to see SpaceX do well. But its hard enough to create a small launcher, as it seems. So better get that right first, before making claims about new rockets.<br /><br />And you got to wonder what kind of market SpaceX sees in the range of these rockets. How many launches, other then stricly NASA launches, does he expect.<br /><br /><br />The more I hear of SpaceX the more I begin to doubt that it's a proper business on a sound technical and economical basis.

S

shoogerbrugge

another promise and another delay.<br /><br />Sorry its all getting a bit old, I'd love to see SpaceX do well. But its hard enough to create a small launcher, as it seems. So better get that right first, before making claims about new rockets.<br /><br />And you got to wonder what kind of market SpaceX sees in the range of these rockets. How many launches, other then stricly NASA launches, does he expect.<br /><br /><br />The more I hear of SpaceX the more I begin to doubt that it's a proper business on a sound technical and economical basis.

N

nacnud

I think it is a prober business, but with one looooong range goal in mind. Human colonalization of the Solar System. This goal shouldn't get in the way of sensible business practices though.

N

nacnud

I think it is a prober business, but with one looooong range goal in mind. Human colonalization of the Solar System. This goal shouldn't get in the way of sensible business practices though.

N

nyarlathotep

>>"The more I hear of SpaceX the more I begin to doubt that it's a proper business on a sound technical and economical basis."<br /><br />Well, so what? It's his money, he can burn it however he wants. If he manages to make the primes a little nervous in the process, so much the better.

N

nyarlathotep

>>"The more I hear of SpaceX the more I begin to doubt that it's a proper business on a sound technical and economical basis."<br /><br />Well, so what? It's his money, he can burn it however he wants. If he manages to make the primes a little nervous in the process, so much the better.

E

elguapoguano

It's all just talk untill he launches his LFR the Falcon 1, once it flies successfully multiple times, then we can talk about the MSFR (medium sized ******* Rocket) the Falcon 5 or 9 or whatever he's calling it this week. Once that has flown successfully multiple times, then finally we can talk seriously about his "BFR"... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#ff0000"><u><em>Don't let your sig line incite a gay thread ;>)</em></u></font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts