Spock's Funeral Scene in The Wrath of Kahn

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

Why didn't Scotty play <i>Taps</i>? The movie has him playing what sounds like <i>Amazing Grace</i>. As a Christian and a Methodist, I have no objection to <i>Amazing Grace</i>, but <i>Taps</i> would have been appropriate. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

M

mattblack

Probably because thats the way director Nick Meyer wanted it and because the music cue if you remember then led into the torpedo/coffin being fired into the planets atmosphere just as the sun rose. Also, I've heard plenty of pipers play "Amazing Grace" but none that I remember have played "Taps". <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

W

willpittenger

What's really strange is how few religous characters made it into Star Trek. Most were either insane, terrorists, or primitive. As for Spock, I think he might have been upset that a religous song was played at his funeral. Of those religous characters that weren't insane, terrorists, or primitive; there have been no Vulcans that I am aware of. In fact, they all fall into the insane or terrorist part. Typical of the left-wing media. Blame Gene Roddenberry for that. The worst part about Star Trek is the extreme skewing of the franchise against Christian principles. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

M

mattblack

The extreme skewing against any religion for that matter, until the Bajoran one came along in DS9, but Roddenberry was dead by then. Gene Roddenberry was certainly known as a Humanist. Humanists are often athiests and Roddenberry was fairly well known for his disdain of the more fundamentalist parts of Christian doctrine. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

T

twilight1958

The song, "Amazing Grace" may have evolved by the time of Spock's croaking. It was probably translated into bunches of inter-galactic languages and may have lost something along the way, and in time evolved into just a funeral dirge. Or maybe it was just his favorite tune. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mattblack

Of course, it could have been the only tune Scotty was confident of playing on the bagpipes!! Unless you have time to practice, they're devilishly hard. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

A

Aetius

I spoke to a bagpipe player once at a Renaissance Fair, and he explained that it takes seven years of practice to learn. His teenage son was also a fairly good player, but had started to learn very young.

M

mattblack

Nae, laddie, but my neighbour 25 years ago, Jim McPherson certainly did during ceremonial events!! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts