Star Trek on CBS Action The original series

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JasonChapman

someone help me out here. I have been watching Star Trek TOS Season 3 on CBS Action UK. Its been digitally remastered. Some of the shots of the Enterprise and other space shots look like they've been redone using CGI, has anyone else noticed this?

J

jim48

Yes. They went back and re-mastered alll 79 shows and added new visual effects, which I thinks sucks. Lots of folks worked very hard on that show doing all of those visuals, now their work is gone.

C

crazyeddie

jim48":3lm6x9w8 said:
Yes. They went back and re-mastered alll 79 shows and added new visual effects, which I thinks sucks. Lots of folks worked very hard on that show doing all of those visuals, now their work is gone.

Even worse, perhaps, is the fact that after re-mastering the episodes, they edited out quite a lot of material in order to pare them down to make more room for longer commercial breaks. It's disturbing to be expecting a familiar scene or bit of dialog, only to find it cut out.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Can you not still buy the original series, uncut and unremastered?

I have it on disc.

Incidentally, I did like how they modernized the visual effects on the "Cosmos" series. But they didn't change any content, just visuals.

J

jim48

ZenGalacticore":2sezwx31 said:

I have it on disc.

Incidentally, I did like how they modernized the visual effects on the "Cosmos" series. But they didn't change any content, just visuals.

I was watching the original on Fancast last night, uncut with original effects. What's next , re-do the effects in The Wizard of Oz? :(

L

lildreamer

jim48":138lwyv6 said:
ZenGalacticore":138lwyv6 said:

I have it on disc.

I was watching the original on Fancast last night, uncut with original effects. What's next , re-do the effects in The Wizard of Oz? :(

welll. they did colourized it a while back - remember.... :|

J

JasonChapman

The new visuals to look odd compared to the rest of the quality, looks to crisp.

C

crazyeddie

lildreamer":3ltyvcvc said:
jim48":3ltyvcvc said:

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but The Wizard of Oz was originally filmed in Technicolor.....the parts where Dorothy was in Oz, anyway. The scenes in Kansas was filmed, quite deliberately, in sepia.

L

lildreamer

crazyeddie":18rt8uek said:
lildreamer":18rt8uek said:
jim48":18rt8uek said:

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but The Wizard of Oz was originally filmed in Technicolor.....the parts where Dorothy was in Oz, anyway. The scenes in Kansas was filmed, quite deliberately, in sepia.

not picky at allll eddie just astute....:D
but I do remember my family owning a bw tv so that might of "colored" my perception a little.....

A

a_lost_packet_

I think the remastered and reworked episodes have their place. BUT, I also agree that the original show with its original effects needs its place too.

The remastered stuff does have the potential to bring in new, younger viewers to a certain extent. However, there's nothing like the old Enterprise and that same, twin blue phaser beam scene, playing over and over again.

Anyone remember the classic splash pattern scene for Star Trek photon torpedoes! Top Left, Bottom Right, Top Right, IIRC. :)

S

StarRider1701

lildreamer":1e98my5e said:

Most of the film was in color, except the first 12 minutes. Not sure why...? So yes, they did colorize that part later.

J

jim48

StarRider1701":2drup8uw said:
lildreamer":2drup8uw said:

Most of the film was in color, except the first 12 minutes. Not sure why...? So yes, they did colorize that part later.

Victor Fleming directed all of the color Oz footage, then got transfered to Gone With the Wind. Not a bad resume'. I'm trying to remember who directed the Kansas scenes. I want to say King Vidor.

Z

ZenGalacticore

StarRider1701":y6p6688r said:
Most of the film was in color, except the first 12 minutes. Not sure why...?

You're kidding, right?

M

MeteorWayne

Really. He must have missed the obvious point of the opening sequence.... :)

S

StarRider1701

ZenGalacticore":18bxcm6b said:
StarRider1701":18bxcm6b said:

You're kidding, right?

I was a kid and we had just gotten our very first color TV. At the time, it didn't make sense why they didn't do the whole thing in color. Too young to catch the subtle cinimatography of that time I guess.

V

vogon13

For the 25th anniversary of Twilight Zone, they colorized the doll house scenes (from the main characters viewpoint) in the episode Miniature.

Robert Duvall was the guest star. The colorization actually (IMHO) improved the episode. That episode was one of the few hour long ones, and because of a copyright snag, had never been repeated till 1984. I have not seen the colorized episode on TV since, but I have it on VHS somewhere . .

C

crazyeddie

StarRider1701":ouphxn8q said:
ZenGalacticore":ouphxn8q said:
StarRider1701":ouphxn8q said:

You're kidding, right?

I was a kid and we had just gotten our very first color TV. At the time, it didn't make sense why they didn't do the whole thing in color. Too young to catch the subtle cinimatography of that time I guess.

Geez, I thought everyone knew this about The Wizard of Oz, it's been written about so much. The opening and ending sequence of the movie that depicted Dorothy's life in Kansas was deliberately filmed in a brownish sepia, which is not quite the same thing as "black and white". It provoked a sense of drabness, which is what Dorothy thought of her life. She longed to be somewhere "Over the Rainbow", and when the tornado granted her wish, that part of the film was meant to be in color to emphasize the vibrancy of life in Oz. It was also done this way because the early Technicolor process was extremely expensive, and filming part of the movie with traditional film saved a lot of money while simultaneously making an artistic statement....get it? ;)

Now, back to the subject of the OP.....how in the world did this turn into a thread about The Wizard of Oz? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts