Stargate Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StarRider1701

I liked Stargate SG-1 (hated the final episode) and Stargate Atlantis.

Not so sure about this new show. The trailer leaves a lot of questions behind, such as why spectacularly recruit this particular geek? Where are they that the Stargate only dials one address? (that was my take) Dhd broke? Cant rig a computer to dial out, like they did in Stargate?
Clearly they land on an ancient ship, thousands of years old. Don't know where they are, where they're going and cant steer! Will definately have to see the first episode or three, just to check it out next month on Syfy.

The cast is an interesting mix (to me) of established actors and new people. Other than an apparent cameo by General O'neill in the beginning, the show does not rely on characters from the two previous Stargate shows.

What's your take on Stargate Universe? What does everyone else think?

S

StarRider1701

Possible spoilers - don't read if you haven't watched.

Really liked the new Stargate Universe. Its a different, kinda far out way of doing the same thing the other shows did, namely dialing new places and going there to see what's up. So far the only real "enemy" is the age of the ship itself and dealing with old systems on the brink of failure.

I am disappointed that Lou Diamond Phillips (really like him as an actor) didn't end up a part of the folks on the ship. I'm guessing he will take the place of our familiar characters (O'neill, Carter, Jackson) on Earth. Character interactions are going to be interesting, there are several factions or castes involved: military, IOA, the science geeks who will be figuring out how to fix and run things... There seems to be several "old hatreds" going on, people who dont like or trust each other for reasons that are no longer relavent.

I'm going to keep watching. It is not the same old Stargate.

T

thebigcat

Definitely not the same old Stargate. Conceptually it's a replay of Star Trek: Voyager, which is okay in my book since it's not going to become bogged down with Star Fleet protocols the way ST:V did (meaning it's not going to suffer from the steady erosion of Gene Roddenberry's ideals that Ira Steven Behr's subversiveness brought to the franchise).

The pilot ep set up the show nicely, well enough that I think I'll be onboard for the series.

B

bdewoody

Just watched the pilot. Some of it I liked and some not so much. Looks to me that the writers have been influenced by the recent Battlestar Galactica series. I think I'll watch a few episodes to see where it goes.

O

observer7

Interesting (raised eyebrow).

The show has potential. I see some new "things" that might surprise us. Can they get the ship fixed, well they better or this is going to be a short series. Can they get the gate working, and where will it take them? Will they encounter the Ori? Where exactly are they and what is the ships history and purpose? Of course the answers to these questions will be hinted at slowly as the series progresses, so I hope they have a plan.

I'll give it a 7.5 out of 10 but I reserve the right to change my mind after a few more episodes.

--

"186,000 mps, it's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

S

StarRider1701

observer7":1ycm0xin said:
Interesting (raised eyebrow).

Can they get the ship fixed, well they better or this is going to be a short series. Can they get the gate working, and where will it take them? Will they encounter the Ori? Where exactly are they and what is the ships history and purpose?

CO2 scrubbers are old hat tech even for us of lowly technological abilities! I'm betting they find some of whatever goop the Ancients used in one of those crates in the gate room.
The gate works, the ship only has a limited amount of enery left, certianly not enough to open a wormhole back to the Milky Way Galaxy. They do know about where they are, which is very, very far from home. If I remember right, the Destiny passed through several other galaxies, including Pegasis, to get where she is now.
I'm' betting not the Ori, but another enemy as yet unknown. The ship has obvious battle damage in several places. Who shot at the ship and how did it defend itself or get away? Automated defenses? I'm guessing we will see this new enemy as soon as they get a handle on keeping the ship and life support running for more than a few days at a time.

B

bdewoody

I just watched this week's episode and even though it was predictable I enjoyed it. This program is showing more and more the influence of Battlestar Galactica. I think it will attract a following as the characters develope.

C

CommonMan

I like it so far, except for the consent conflict between each other. I would like to see more story than soap opera. Maybe it will get better as it goes.

S

StarRider1701

I like it so far, too.
But, I've just spotted a possible inconsistency with the original Stargate.
In the origina series, several episodes hinged on the fact that only one Stargate can be functional at a time on a planet or in proximity with each other. If two gates exist, one is the dominant gate. These two gates cannot dial each other because they have the same address - its like dialing your own phone number. The Gouald motherships sometimes had gates aboard. But they couldn't dial the gate on the planet. Once they entered the system, the address for the gate on the ship was the same as the gate on the planet.
According to what I've heard so far. the Destiny is following another automated ship that is building and installing Stargates onto habitable worlds. Not sure how far ahead that first ship is, maybe hundreds or even thousands of years ahead.
The point is, when the Destiny enters a system the ship dials the gate on the planet. They can then dial back to the ship. They have not explained how that is posssible yet, but so far it seems to defy what we've been told about Stargate physics in previous episodes of the earlier series'.

M

mj1

When I first saw SG-U, the thought came to mind that this seems to be a cross between Lost and Stargate. I liked it though. It is quite different than the other Stargate series. Thing about it is that there is LOT that can be done with this series. I hope the writers stretch themselves and give us as good a story as they can. This series has BSG potential, if they allow it to.

To answer a question from the earlier threads, the ship is billions of lightyears from earth and needs lots of power to dial a stargate in the Milkyway. The ship's technology is pre-ZPM, so the gate needs to be powered by the ship's reserves, which were pretty low until the most recent episode. We will see what happens next.

A

andrew_t1000

I like it a lot.
The "wrong people in the wrong place" idea appeals to me.
The characters are interesting and well fleshed out, most of them have enough skeletons to fill several closets.

The Eli character is kinda cool, in the "light" episode Dr Rush tells Eli he is sorry he got him into the "mission",
Eli simply replies, "I'm not, at least not yet."
It will be interesting to see how Colonel Young keeps order and discipline.
Some of the civilians are annoying, bitching about doing it tough, I mean what do they want?
I can't think of any place I'd rather be! On a starship, in an entirely different galaxy, how could it get any better?

S

StarRider1701

andrew_t1000":csgk0o3i said:
I like it a lot.
Some of the civilians are annoying, bitching about doing it tough, I mean what do they want?
I can't think of any place I'd rather be! On a starship, in an entirely different galaxy, how could it get any better?

You left out: with little food, some water but not knowing were more will come from if that runs out, life support iffy with old fashioned, makeshift CO2 scrubbers doing most of the work and ship's energy iffy, although we now know how the ship recharges itself. Still cant control where the ship is going or figure out how to steer though! Lets not forget the ship is billions of light years from home and getting farther away with each passing moment.

If I were Eli or the Professor or maybe one of the military personnel, maybe it would be ok. But an ordinary civillian who seems to be just along for the ride with little or no knowledge helpful to the situation would suck.

A

andrew_t1000

StarRider1701":1ksc5buy said:
andrew_t1000":1ksc5buy said:
I like it a lot.

You left out: with little food, some water but not knowing were more will come from if that runs out, life support iffy with old fashioned, makeshift CO2 scrubbers doing most of the work and ship's energy iffy, although we now know how the ship recharges itself. Still cant control where the ship is going or figure out how to steer though! Lets not forget the ship is billions of light years from home and getting farther away with each passing moment.

If I were Eli or the Professor or maybe one of the military personnel, maybe it would be ok. But an ordinary civillian who seems to be just along for the ride with little or no knowledge helpful to the situation would suck.

Gee, that sounds kinda like life!
Seriously most of the civilians are engineers or scientists.
I think you have it the wrong way around, the military personnel would be feeling a little "fifth wheel", especially the way they seem to be always clutching their assault rifles!
Maybe I'm just a bit to stoic about food, comfort level and the like.
I tend to be happiest in a harsh environment with the challenge of getting from "A" to "B" on minimal food, water, resources.

S

StarRider1701

The military people are at least "in on it." they may not understand every word, but at least they know what's going on and they're the ones who are doing most of the going thru the stargate.
Some of the civs are political hacks, totally useless types. I do hope the writers can find a way to get more of the civillians into the story in more active roles, right now sitting around and bitching is about all they can do!

Goiing from A to B on this lush planet teeming with life is totally not the same thing. Here, all you really need to know is what not to eat, because most things are edible. And water is everywhere if you know how to find it - but that seems to be true of the Universe, too. Lately it seems almost everywhere we look we are finding ice. Ice moons, ice rings, comets are balls of ice and rock, there's even ice on our own moon that we used to think was totally barren.

A

andrew_t1000

StarRider1701":3lhv4x1g said:
The military people are at least "in on it." they may not understand every word, but at least they know what's going on and they're the ones who are doing most of the going thru the stargate.
Some of the civs are political hacks, totally useless types. I do hope the writers can find a way to get more of the civillians into the story in more active roles, right now sitting around and bitching is about all they can do!

Goiing from A to B on this lush planet teeming with life is totally not the same thing. Here, all you really need to know is what not to eat, because most things are edible. And water is everywhere if you know how to find it - but that seems to be true of the Universe, too. Lately it seems almost everywhere we look we are finding ice. Ice moons, ice rings, comets are balls of ice and rock, there's even ice on our own moon that we used to think was totally barren.

LMAO!
Sorry, but I go camping and adventuring in Northern South Australia!
I can tell you right now, not only does it look like Mars, but Mars probably has more water!

C

cosmictraveler

To slow and soapy for me. An hour of a trapped man and some dust flying around....just doesn't peak my interest what so ever. Yes, it looks and feels like Battlestar, which I also disliked for its soapiness as well. I won't be watching this series but from time to time to see if it picks up any. I really doubt it will though.

M

mj1

cosmictraveler":34enegw7 said:
To slow and soapy for me. An hour of a trapped man and some dust flying around....just doesn't peak my interest what so ever. Yes, it looks and feels like Battlestar, which I also disliked for its soapiness as well. I won't be watching this series but from time to time to see if it picks up any. I really doubt it will though.
How'd you feel about this week's episode when they used the communication stones to "send" the commander home, in his main rivals body no less (played by Lou Diamond Phillips). While in Lou's body, the dude begs his wife to forgive him for ;leaving and she does. He's was boning her good when the communication stone malfunctions and Lou's character is back in his own body right in the middle of screwing the commander's wife and the commander is suddenly back on the ship. That was an excellent scene. At the end, Lou's starting to sniff around the guy's wife. You just KNOW he is going to be doing her as himself before long. That was soappy, but creative.

C

crazyeddie

mj1":132una6o said:
How'd you feel about this week's episode when they used the communication stones to "send" the commander home, in his main rivals body no less (played by Lou Diamond Phillips). While in Lou's body, the dude begs his wife to forgive him for ;leaving and she does. He's was boning her good when the communication stone malfunctions and Lou's character is back in his own body right in the middle of screwing the commander's wife and the commander is suddenly back on the ship. That was an excellent scene. At the end, Lou's starting to sniff around the guy's wife. You just KNOW he is going to be doing her as himself before long. That was soappy, but creative.

I was an interesting twist, but I hope they are not going to rely too much on the communications stones as a plot device, that would get stale quickly.

I must say I'm surprised to see Richard Dean Anderson so much in the new show, I sorta thought he only did guest appearances nowadays.

R

RSA4

My hopes are getting dashed every week with this show. The premise of the pilot was great, but frankly, this insane focus on "complex, conflicted, characters" is taking away from the basic theme - a group of folks lost in space fighting for their survival.

Warning: may contain spoilers:

We have Rush, the sociopath. I had hoped the Rush character would be more of a "wow, this is cool" Daniel Jackson type. Instead, he is further up the sociopath scale than Rodney McKay, the "this is so hard and only I am smart enough to solve it" type. In addition, why the heck would you send such an extreme sociopath on an off-world mission in the first place? Heck, NASA does extremely rigorous psychiatric screens on astronauts (Lisa Kowak not with standing) for a short shuttle hop.

We have Young, the reluctant Colonel. How the heck did he make Colonel? He dreams of his wife, fraternizes with the troops, and hasn't made a single leadership decision or attempted to establish his command. When he goes to Earth, he talks a couple of minutes with the leadership and then heads off to shag his wife. You'd think he would be in an SG think-tank every time he goes back, but no, shagging is way more important than, say, bringing the troops home. In addition, every time he goes to Earth he switches with Telford, who tries to take over his command. You'd think he would learn, and stop going, or not switch with Telford.

We have Eli, supposed genius. So far, all he does is wander the corridors, spy on folks with his KenoCam, and pine after Chloe. Really, with his brain you'd think Nash, Young or Telford would insist on putting him to good use. Also, since they are all basically eating the same meager amounts of gruel, why the heck is he not losing weight? Then, he goes to earth while Telford is trying to use the gate to dial earth. Instead of using his so-called mathboy skills to say, help Carter calculate the risk to the ship, he eats cookies and then goes to a concert with Chloe.

We have Chloe, who we now know was a drifting party girl before Daddy offered her a job. She gets peeved at her ex-BFF for sleeping with her ex-BF, but at the same time she wasted no time in shagging Lt Scott, stealing him away from Lt James. Cheating hypocrite! She criticizes Eli for being shallow when he gets excited that for once a cute chick hit on him in Hot Scientist Body, when she herself ignores him purely on looks. Can't wait for the goa'uld to make a cameo and possess her to set her straight.

We have Lt Scott, who despite knocking up an underage girl, still managed to get a military commission and still hasn't learned his lesson about shagging around. He happily obeys Telford's orders because he "respects the chain of command", but ignores basic orders like "no fraternizing with other troops on duty" when he deserted his post to have a quickie with Lt James in the utility closet. Really? How has he NOT yet been through a court martial?

Then, we have the civilians. All of them, wandering round like sheep. Sure, they have an excuse - their shepherds (Rush, Young) are too busy with tantrums and dereliction of duty. But still - can't one or two of them take the initiative and say, "hey - let's get organized. How about next time we drop out of hyperspace we put on one of those space suits and go wash the grimy windows? Or send the senator's body into space for a burial at space? Or fix the window on the shuttle with the senator's body? Or let's put some more KenoCams on Eli's sled and add an engine so we can fly around, like a gateship / jumper on the next planet instead of wandering through the desert / ice for the entire stop?"

Argh. So frustrating. A basically good, dark premise ruined by the need for ridiculous gratuitous soap-opera lifestyles that are better suited to Days of our Lives or Jerry Springer.

D

davp99

Hey Guys..
Been away for a few weeks, so set up the ole Vcr to tape this POS...just watched till i'm up to date...Tsk Tsk Syfy...

Way too many thing wrong, things that get under my skin with every minute.. here they were on a Planet, Future or Past, i lost track, everyone's complaining about how Hot it was, yet they still run around with Hooded Sweatshirts and Long sleeeve shirts, ?? and that's some of the small stuff...

Rush, Eli and the rest stink..Water, Food and Air....Just the little things you need to Survive, where is it all coming from, i doubt that they brought all that from the First Jump...

Water, i know They jumped to an Ice moon or something, Lucky that Ship knows when they need something ??, and just happpens to be near a solar system that HAS what they NEED...Ouch

And now all that water is contaminated, little bugs that the ship knew about, and directed them a Planet with life forms that just happened to be the CURE !! Come On People...I have imagination BUT this Almost Hurts to Watch...let me know if I'm Missing something that's Really Cool about this Show..Till then...i don't know.....

Dave

D

davp99

BTW, I just posted these messages at around 1:30 PM EDT, But the Time on the Forum watch is 6:pm something,, Strange, or maybe Destiny has transported me into the Future, God Knows Why ...LoL

S

StarRider1701

I must agree that it is becomming a little too much like a soap opera. But I'm going to keep watching for at least a few more episodes. There is bound to be an external enemy, as I said before, where else would the battle damage come from? And what was that alien ship that departed the Destiny at the end of the second episode? The focus should change soon froom thier battle to simply survive to more of a real battle against an outside enemy. Thankfully, they've figured out how to fire the guns! And the ship seems to have a lot of guns, too...

B

bdewoody

Tonight's episode is continuing the soap opera trend. I think it's becoming a cross between Battlestar Galactica and Desparate Housewives. Plus the totally blew off the end of last week's little aliens episode. I guess we assume they finally went back and got one of the creatures and purified their water. Frack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts