stary night

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rfrank1399

why do we still see the same night sky while on the other side of the sun? seems to me that the sun would be in the way {brightness} to see the winter sky while in the summer.

N

newtonian

rfrank1399 - The sun is only in the way during daytime. <br /><br />Most of us view stars at night - otherwise we have the problem you note!<br /><br />At night we look the opposite direction from the sun, with many variant angles.<br /><br />Obviously, since the sun is in the opposite direction related to the galaxy in winter than in summer, the winter day sunward line of sight should be opposite the summer day sunward line of sight. <br /><br />Is it?<br /><br />I would assume this would effect time of star-rise after sunset for specific stars that rise.<br /><br />The north star does not rise, of course. Is it at the same angle in summer and winter? <br /><br />I guess North is up both in winter and in summer!<br /><br />On earth, we cannot see stars in the daytime, but satellites like Hubble can view stars in the direction of the sun.<br /><br />Remember, there are many angles of view, not just towards the sun.<br /><br />And the winter sky is different than the summer sky - due to earth's tilt on its axis.<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts