STS-114 Mission Update Thread (Part 6)

Page 12 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

giofx

<b>DEORBIT BURN COMPLETE</b>. Discovery has successfully completed the deorbit burn, committing the shuttle for its journey back to Earth. Landing is scheduled for 8:11 a.m. EDT (1211 GMT) at Edwards Air Force Base in California.

S

shuttle2moon

When does she flip over to present the tiles to the atmosphere? I'm thinking JUST before interaction with the atmosphere...but why wait?

G

giofx

she's turning right now... look at the orbiter view on the far right...<br /><br />edit: lady is turning nose up in the blue sky!

N

nacnud

Because the OMS thrusters are next to the SSME on the rear of the craft. It has to point backwards to slow down.<br /><br />

G

giofx

here:<br /><br />Onboard guidance is maneuvering Discovery from its heads-down, tail-forward position needed for the deorbit burn to the reentry configuration of heads-up and nose-forward. The nose also will be pitched upward 40 degrees. In this new position, the black tiles on the shuttle's belly will shield the spacecraft during the fiery plunge through the Earth's atmosphere with temperatures reaching 3,000 degrees F. Discovery will begin interacting with the upper fringes of the atmosphere above the South Pacific at 7:40 a.m. EDT.

T

thechemist

Watching NASA-TV live feed and wishing everything goes ok.<br />Come back home safe Discovery !!! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>I feel better than James Brown.</em> </div>

S

shuttle2moon

I know about de-orbit burn procedures...but I meant why wait even a little while to flip over after the burn?

G

giofx

Discovery is 205 miles above Earth, continuing its free-fall to the atmosphere. The ship will hit the upper edge of the atmosphere at altitude of about 75 miles in 20 minutes

T

teije

question:<br />I was checking out the landing ground tracks on the nasa site. <br />Why does discovery always make a 180+ degree turn before landing? Is this just to land into the wind or is there some other reason I'm not aware of? Seems to me that at her approach speeds there isn't much difference turning into the wind. But I may be wrong of course...<br />Teije

O

ozspace

They probably need to check the guidence burn results before reorientation

S

shuttle2moon

No offense taken, they don't wait that long its true..I just wondered why not RIGHT away...<br /><br />anyway, forget that..I'm focused on a good landing!!!! God speed!!!!

O

ozspace

I think it is called a heading alignment curve and allows them to manage the energry so that the are relatively close to the landing site while still quite high. They can easily adjust range vs altitude and speed without getting trapped out of range.

M

mattblack

People in Taupo and Napier: go take a look-- A faint glow, perhaps? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

S

shuttle2moon

She must be starting to interact with the atmosphere now...

T

telfrow

Godspeed Discovery... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

M

mattblack

I think everyone here is on the flightdeck with them. At this moment, Discovery has millions of crew, including a special 7, riding with them. This mission is history in the making and we are watching a bottleneck in that history. Discovery is threading the eye of the needle today for all mankind... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts