STS-121 Update Thread: Part Two

Page 13 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

superluminal

I care !!! score one, one.<br /><br />Nice work NASA Team , I'm looking forward to the next space walk.<br /><br />Those new media personnel sure does ask different questions than I would. <br /><br />I would ask Stephanie Wilson, to please marry me. <br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><br /><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Columbia and Challenger </font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Starships of Heroes</font></strong></p> </div>

E

erioladastra

"No, there are no "zero" defects. There are still a number of small nicks and possible one missing tile. But this is the cleanest shuttle we have had, a real improvement. "<br /><br />Follow-up: The orbiter has been cleared for reentry. No repairs or EVAs required.

S

spacester

The quotes go around both words: "Zero Defects".<br /><br />It means that acceptance criteria have been established by a Quality Control process, such that if, for a given site / area (Tile, RCC, blanket) on the TPS an observed level of damage, while not pristine, is below a threshold level, that part of the system is classified as non-defective. Since no individual site of the TPS system has damage in excess of the acceptance criteria, the system can be said to have "Zero Defects".<br /><br />It's a relatively common thing in state of the art US Manufacturing, but apparently new to NASA and its contractors. Part of the culture change called for by the CAIB IMO and IIRC.<br /><br />Again, congrats to all involved. A splendid accomplishment and I am very excited about getting on with ISS assembly. A couple more flights like this and we'll be on a roll again. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

Anybody seen S_G? I haven't noticed him around here much lately. I suppose he's been busy with the launch, though with past launches he would stop by for some quick comments and answers.<br /><br />I hope he's OK. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

S

SpaceKiwi

Yes, I've also noticed SG hasn't been posting as much lately. As you say e_b_m, I expect he's probably flat-out like a lizard drinking at the moment. It's only about 6 weeks until the next launch when all is said and done.<br /><br />Hopefully he'll be able to check in more frequently once the schedule quiets down a little. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em><font size="2" color="#ff0000">Who is this superhero?  Henry, the mild-mannered janitor ... could be!</font></em></p><p><em><font size="2">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</font></em></p><p><font size="5">Bring Back The Black!</font></p> </div>

S

superluminal

Looks like all is nominal for the second space walk to begin shortly.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><br /><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Columbia and Challenger </font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Starships of Heroes</font></strong></p> </div>

Well done, a nice clean launch has been confirmed. I hope now that the next Hubble Space Telescope servicing mission can be bought forward.<br /><br />Whilst I cannot agree with the ISS as is currently stands (or orbits), I sincerely hope that now the Space Shuttle Discovery has confirmed that the modifications have been successful, that further construction of the ISS can continue, thus enabling some 'REAL SCIENCE' to be done.<br /><br />Was it ever confirmed that the marks on the Discovery heat sheild was just Bird mess?<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

S

superluminal

Was it ever confirmed that the marks on the Discovery heat shield was just Bird mess? <br /><br />-----------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />I'm not sure if it was confirmed absolute or not, all I know is that the shuttle has been cleared to land as is.<br /><br />It doesn't seem to be an issue. <br />I'm curious to know if it will burn off during re-entry.<br /><br />That sure was an excellent space work period.<br /><br />Well done indeed NASA. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><br /><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Columbia and Challenger </font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Starships of Heroes</font></strong></p> </div>

N

navyspacefan

Hi, first post here! Just wondering what the emblems are around the CAPCOM and Flight Directors consoles in the ISS MCC. I recognize the STS-121 and Exp 13 emblems, but not the other two. Anyone have any idea what they are? Thanks!

E

erioladastra

"Hi, first post here! Just wondering what the emblems are around the CAPCOM and Flight Directors consoles in the ISS MCC. I recognize the STS-121 and Exp 13 emblems, but not the other two. Anyone have any idea what they are? Thanks! "<br /><br />You have the crew patches (STS-121 & Exp 13) as well as the mission patch (ULF 1.1, TMA).

S

superluminal

Thank You shuttle-guy.<br /><br />I imagine you,re real busy.<br /> <br />The shuttles are indeed a fascinating piece of technology.<br /><br />I watched all three space work periods and am simply mesmerized by the ability of the entire NASA team to perform flawlessly. <br /><br /> The helmet video and all the technology applied allowed this older fan to actually experience spaceflight from the comfort of my computer chair.<br /> <br />I'll make a predicting that fifty years from now even more futuristic version of shuttles will still be used to assemble space components between Earth, Mars and the Moon.<br /><br /><br />Nice work NASA team.<br /><br /><br />Two questions.<br /><br />Will the I.S.S. be re boosted on this mission by the shuttle and if so, When will that occur ?? <br /><br /><br /> <br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><br /><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Columbia and Challenger </font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Starships of Heroes</font></strong></p> </div>

S

shuttle2moon

something thats been bothering me....how do the tires of the orbiter stay inflated in space? I mean, the bottom of the orbiter is not air tight....and if the vaccum of space reached the tires, they would explode, if I'm not mistaken...<br /><br />Thanks for the help!

H

henryhallam

The Orbiter tires are inflated to 340 psi (main gear) and 300 psi (nose gear) according to a quick Google search. These pressures work out to about 23 and 20 times sea-level atmospheric pressure respectively. So the additional stress caused by one more atmosphere worth of pressure difference (vacuum outside vs. air outside) isn't much of a factor.<br />

L

llivinglarge

What are the provisions if a tire deflates or fails to deploy?<br /><br />Belly landing?<br />

T

Testing

No landing at Edwards this time. But a distinct possibility for a trip to Hubbel soon. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

I thought that Discovery was due to land at KSC in Florida? I hope that you are correct about the Hubble Space Telescope maintenance mission.<br /><br />The launch was safe & clean (apart from the bird mess) & I think that NASA has sorted the problems with the foam. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

T

Testing

KSC is always the primary but those of us on the left coast always want an Edwards landing. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

shuttle2moon

The shuttle could be going to Hubble? That would be great!!!!<br /><br />On a side note, the gap filler that was found to be protruding, I guess its a non-concern, huh? I was watching the main stream news the other day and they mentioned something about it...

T

Testing

I read that they would make the decision for a sevicing mission late this year. Two good STS missions (with tile/RCC practice repairs) leans it toward Hubbel IMHO.<br /><br />As to the gap filler, some were found protruding last mission. As I understand it there is a new process for adhearing these between tiles and this one was the old method and has been deemed a non issue. More knowledgeable people please correct me. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

superluminal

Thank you for all the excellent information.<br /><br />Discovery crew <br /><br />Very nice Leonardo module docking in the shuttle bay.<br /><br />These are all professionals at their best.<br /><br />Heroes.<br /><br />I'm looking forward in the future when it's safely possible to hearThomas Reiter play stairway to heaven on his guitar. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><br /><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Columbia and Challenger </font></strong></p><p><strong><font size="3" color="#3366ff">Starships of Heroes</font></strong></p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

NASA probing space shuttle fuel leak<br />From: Reuters<br />By Irene Klotz in Houston<br /><br />July 15, 2006 <br /><br /><b>ASTRONAUTS aboard shuttle Discovery prepared to leave the International Space Station today while ground control teams revamped landing plans to handle a small leak in one of the ship's power generators.</b><br /><br />Managers believed the leak was inconsequential but were proceeding cautiously.<br /><br />"It's a coin flip," said deputy space shuttle program manager John Shannon.<br /><br />The shuttle had three power units needed to move the body flaps, speed brakes and other critical landing gear. It could safely land with just one, though two or more make for greater control, Shannon said.<br /><br /><br />One unit has a tiny leak, about six drops per hour, and NASA plans to test on Sunday whether the unit is safe for landing.<br /><br />If the leak worsens, Shannon wants the crew to dump the unit's hazardous hydrazine fuel --even though engineers suspect a system using nonhazardous liquid nitrogen is the one leaking - and land using just two power units.<br /><br />"We don't have enough information to say whether the leak is hydrazine or nitrogen," Shannon said.<br /><br />"If it got bigger, it would be an issue. You just don't want hydrazine in the aft (engine compartment). You don't want it anywhere."<br /><br />A space shuttle in 1983 returned with a fire in its engine compartment when a spray of hydrazine hit one of its power units, which can reach temperatures of 500 deg F.<br /><br />Shannon said the key difference between landing with two power units instead of three was that the shuttle's landing gear would be released by firing explosive bolts rather than with hydraulic power. That should not affect the touchdown, he said.<br /><br />NASA may also decide to divert the shuttle from its primary landing site in Florida to a backup runway at Edwards Air Force Base in California, where the weather is more stable and the landing strip more accommodating. <br></br> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.