Stuff in the Southern Hemisphere

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tiza

This may sound like an idiotic question, but does anyone know if there has been something big spotted in the Southern Hemisphere? I was just reading some posts at astronomy.com and some guy says that there's a bunch of scientists and astronomers around Australia right now and says he'd like to know what's going on. Now, I wouldn't think too much of it but recently, and I can't remember where, I was reading some stuff that there has been something spotted there. All I remember when I read this at another place is that it wasn't a junk Web site.<br /><br />So do any astronomers around here know anything about this?<br />Thanks,<br />Tiza

S

Saiph

I haven't heard anything. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

P

petepan

Hi Tiza,<br /><br />I'm from Australia, and I can't say i have heard of any 'goings on' down here!<br /><br />I do know that some astronomers are heading to the Aussie outback because it resembles the Martian terrain quite closely. so they are using it as a testing ground and also searching for extremophiles(?). Saw a story about it somewhere....??<br /><br />Cheers<br />Peter

T

tiza

Thanks, Peter. I'm glad to hear from someone in Australia.<br /><br />Listen, is it pretty there? I've always wanted to go.<br />I'm from TX.<br />Tiza

T

tiza

I found the post that I was looking at, which started me to thinking from some previous stuff that I have read in some astronomy Web sites. If I can find the articles that were talking about this, I'll send them. I think they were astronomy Web sites. Could have been newspaper articles.<br /><br />Quoting: <br />XXXXXX Posted: 21 Jun 2004, 09:56:54 Quote <br />New member<br /> <br />Posts: 1<br />Joined: 21 Jun 2004<br /> Sure would like to know if anything OUT of the ordinary can be seen coming in from the southern hemisphere, there is supposed to be quite a collection of astronimers and scientists quite interested in something right now. I wonder how big of a glass one might need to confirm this? <br />Unquote. <br />I didn't feel right posting the guy's/girl's name. But you can find this at: http://www.astronomy.com/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9094<br /><br />Tiza<br />

T

tiza

Is there any astronomers from Australia on here? I'm just curious.<br />Tiza

S

Saiph

that's a good question, lets add to it: how many people are astronomers? Of the professional type.<br /><br />I'm living entirely off of money from the field, research/teaching stuff (undergraduate opportunities) but I'm not a full blown degree holder yet (not even a B.S.)<br /><br />I'm also in georgia now, usually in nebraska. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

P

petepan

Hi Tiza,<br />Since im from Oz, do i count as an astronomer? I have a 'scope and enjoy 'looking up'?<br /><br />BTW, Australia is a GREAT place to visit!! Why not try attending the SPSP (South Pacific Star Party), it is on every March near new moon.<br /><br />Here is a link to their site...<br />http://www.asnsw.com/spsp/<br /><br />Cheers<br />Peter

T

tiza

>>Since im from Oz, do i count as an astronomer? I have a 'scope and enjoy 'looking up'? <<<br /><br />Hi, Peter,<br />You most certainly do count as an astronomer in my book. <br /><br />I'd love to come to Australia, but I'm not financially able to right now. It's a dream of mine, though. I have the feeling from things that I've seen that it's a beautiful place to visit.<br /><br />Tiza<br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts