Stupid Question....

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

why06

who says time can't have geometric qualities?<br /><br />And how can you say quote:<br /><br /><font color="yellow">"I never implied the Universe has a specific shape"<br /><font color="white"> And then say:<br /><font color="yellow">"the observable universe is essentially flat"<br /><br /><font color="white"> How can you put a shape on something that is beyond our view....We've barely even tapped the magnificance of the cosmos yet we're already assighing properties to it we don't even know exist...???<br /><br />I mean Come ON!!!</font></font></font></font> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

A

aidan13791

Time does have geometric qualities. That is why we refer to spacetime, and curvature thereof. We can curve it (along with space), dilate it, slow it, all due to the propeties of the mass and velocities that we choose to apply to it. This is because time nd space are one entity, of two closely related and correlated entities. Changes to one tend to affect the other; when one is curved in the presence of mass, so iis the other. <br /><br />This also reinforces my idea that it is one entity because one cannot exist without the other; it is absurbd to talk about time with noting in it, or space where nothing can 'happen'.

F

faraday

I thought that the age of the universe did not require to be related to its width because of the rapid inflationary period after the big bang. This expanded the universe to ridiculous proportions without breaking any of the'laws' of Physics as we now know them.<br /><br />For example because matter had not been formed soon after the BB then FTL expansion would not have been exceptional. And so we do not need to particularly introduce FTL expansion, at the edge of the universe now, if it introduces absurdities etc. e.g. the 'engine' that started the BB must have a finite amount of energy which will lead eventually to a finite speed of expansion. Personally I am always suspicious of infinities in real systems but of course I could well - and probably am - be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.