Sun, another 11 year cycle started

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

holmec

Well, Burt Bacharach would be happy to know that the Sun is on the job (see lyrics to "Rain Drops Keep Falling") now that its in a new 11 year cycle (Solar Cycle 24) according to NOAA.<br /><br />NOAA article<br /><br />Any opinions how this season is going to be? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

H

holmec

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>hotter?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />LOL! <br /><br />Doesn't anyone remember the East Canadian/North East US power outage by a solar storm (unconfirmed)? What do you think it would do to the current grid around the world (or Northern hemisphere)?<br /><br />2003 storms<br /><br />August - NE US, East Canada??<br />October - Sweden<br />November <br /><br /><br />How about effects on the Martian rovers/Phoenix or other landers and spacecraft on or orbiting Mars?<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

M

michaelmozina

I've read many theories about the strength (or lack thereof) of the next active cycle. The experts seem rather split IMO. Some predict a lot of activity this time, and some seem to think it will be a relatively "normal' cycle. I've personally seen nothing to suggest to me that this particular cycle is going to be an usually active cycle or an usually inactive cycle. I have not seen any compelling evidence one way or the other. I would therefore have to "guess" and say that it will be a "normal" active cycle.<br /><br />I've been reviewing the magnetic field alignments in the northern and southern hemispheres for the last few weeks, and I would also have to conclude that we are indeed starting a new cycle at this point. I have no idea what the cycle will be like in terms of overall energy release. For all I know that active region pointing at us today will spew plasma at us this week and the new cycle will start off with a bang. One event however does not define an entire season. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.....<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

H

holmec

Thanks, great comments. I guess that is the reality. We really don't know and seem to know too little to give any real predictions, since its a relatively new field of study with such a long cycle. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.