Telescope Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cassini12

<p>This past weekend I went to an observaorty for my first time, They were using an 11" Celestron scope (not sure of the exact model). They had it on Saturn and It was an incredible view of the planet and 2 of its moons. I only have a small 60mm meade and a 4.5" 130mm Meade DS-2114. I see saturn, but not by any level even close to this detail.</p><p>As far as I thought Meade was "best" in telescope business for non commercial atleast. I know I cant compare my 4.5" $300 scope to a 11" probably $2000+ scope, but I just want to know, in your opinions who makes the most durabile, best quality picture, telescopes?</p><p>I ask becasue one day (not any time soon) i plan on buying a nice 10-14" scope. And I was thinking the LX200 is the best of the best, but after seeing the Celestron I am on edge as&nbsp; to what brand is better. </p><p>Also as far as mounts go, what is the diffrence in operation/reliabliliy between a Fork mount and a equatorial mount? just by looking at the two online, I like the idea of the fork mount, it just seems sturdier and smoother. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>thanks all</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>This past weekend I went to an observaorty for my first time, They were using an 11" Celestron scope (not sure of the exact model). They had it on Saturn and It was an incredible view of the planet and 2 of its moons. I only have a small 60mm meade and a 4.5" 130mm Meade DS-2114. I see saturn, but not by any level even close to this detail.As far as I thought Meade was "best" in telescope business for non commercial atleast. I know I cant compare my 4.5" $300 scope to a 11" probably $2000+ scope, but I just want to know, in your opinions who makes the most durabile, best quality picture, telescopes?I ask becasue one day (not any time soon) i plan on buying a nice 10-14" scope. And I was thinking the LX200 is the best of the best, but after seeing the Celestron I am on edge as&nbsp; to what brand is better. Also as far as mounts go, what is the diffrence in operation/reliabliliy between a Fork mount and a equatorial mount? just by looking at the two online, I like the idea of the fork mount, it just seems sturdier and smoother. &nbsp;thanks all <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>Well you did one of the best things I always recommend. Go to an astronomy club and look at what scopes are out there so you can make an informed choice. You've asked a lot of good questions, that I'm not really qualified to answer.</p><p>After all, I'm primarily a meteor guy so my main scope is a 1X 1 cm binocular apparatus mounted on my face. I use my 8" scope only once or twice a month for looking at the planets, comets, asteroids and some deep sky objects&nbsp;visually. It's a dob, no tracking, no goto....in fact my ability to use it depends on my research(Sky and Telescope, Astronomy, SDC, and other internet sites) and my knowledge of the sky from thousands of hours of watching it with my installed visual receptors.</p><p>If I want to see more, I go up to the NJAA observatory and let the scope experts guide me. Had a great night last Thursday when I taught my meteor class; afterward I went out and followed the crowd peeking through all the scopes the other members had set up while I was ranting about my passion. Saturn was wonderful!!</p><p>Pertinant info is, how much do you want to spend, and what will you use it for?</p><p>I'll let the more expert scope people address your specific questions.</p><p>Wayne<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Well you did one of the best things I always recommend. Go to an astronomy club and look at what scopes are out there so you can make an informed choice. You've asked a lot of good questions, that I'm not really qualified to answer.After all, I'm primarily a meteor guy so my main scope is a 1X 1 cm binocular apparatus mounted on my face. I use my 8" scope only once or twice a month for looking at the planets, comets, asteroids and some deep sky objects&nbsp;visually. It's a dob, no tracking, no goto....in fact my ability to use it depends on my research(Sky and Telescope, Astronomy, SDC, and other internet sites) and my knowledge of the sky from thousands of hours of watching it with my installed visual receptors.If I want to see more, I go up to the NJAA observatory and let the scope experts guide me. Had a great night last Thursday when I taught my meteor class; afterward I went out and followed the crowd peeking through all the scopes the other members had set up while I was ranting about my passion. Saturn was wonderful!!Pertinant info is, how much do you want to spend, and what will you use it for?I'll let the more expert scope people address your specific questions.Wayne <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>I would say the most I would use it for would be Planets,and Deep Space like Nebula's and Galaxy's. Which I dont think I have an chance of seeing at all with my current 4.5". Would my scope be able to see something huge like the orion nebula or M81? Or no Chance?</p><p>&nbsp;I guess it would be a 1-2years before I can buy a nice scope. But I would assume $1500-$3500 depending on the size is the amount I would spend.<br /></p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I would say the most I would use it for would be Planets,and Deep Space like Nebula's and Galaxy's. Which I dont think I have an chance of seeing at all with my current 4.5". Would my scope be able to see something huge like the orion nebula or M81? Or no Chance?&nbsp;I guess it would be a 1-2years before I can buy a nice scope. But I would assume $1500-$3500 depending on the size is the amount I would spend. <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>Well the Orion Nebula is well within the view of your current scope.</p><p>Other galaxies will be Saturn sized or smaller (except Andromeda)</p><p>Wait for other scopophiles replies. It appears you have a year or two to think about it. Go to the observatory to test more scopes!<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

tfwthom

<p>You are falling into the "trap" The choice of a Meade or a Celestron is the same as a Ford or a Chevy and just as personal. (I like Meade) The truth be told it doesn't matter they are both good scopes. I think the optics are better on the Celestron but the mechanics on the Meade are better. I have seen people put a Celestron tube on a Meade mount for that reason.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Even more fun is the Tak/AP battle, it's just going on at a higher price.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>You are falling into the "trap" The choice of a Meade or a Celestron is the same as a Ford or a Chevy and just as personal. (I like Meade) The truth be told it doesn't matter they are both good scopes. I think the optics are better on the Celestron but the mechanics on the Meade are better. I have seen people put a Celestron tube on a Meade mount for that reason.&nbsp;Even more fun is the Tak/AP battle, it's just going on at a higher price. <br />Posted by tfwthom</DIV></p><p>Yes I also Love my meade, Although I bought it used so i dont know If I should really complain about the GOTO feature. For some reason. When I am trying to "center" or just move the scope manually with the remote handbox I have to put the dam thing on "MAX" speed or it just wont work, and this pretty much just started happening, I dont have a clue how to fix it. I have about 10 choices for speed increments but "MAX" is the only one I can get to work, which isnt very helpful when you are trying to center Saturn.</p><p>And what is this Andor galaxy? or nebula and were do i find it lol? also, i should start now learning how to find orion and maybe trying to find the Orion nebula..</p>

T

TahaSiddiqui

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Yes I also Love my meade, Although I bought it used so i dont know If I should really complain about the GOTO feature. For some reason. When I am trying to "center" or just move the scope manually with the remote handbox I have to put the dam thing on "MAX" speed or it just wont work, and this pretty much just started happening, I dont have a clue how to fix it. I have about 10 choices for speed increments but "MAX" is the only one I can get to work, which isnt very helpful when you are trying to center Saturn.And what is this Andor galaxy? or nebula and were do i find it lol? also, i should start now learning how to find orion and maybe trying to find the Orion nebula.. <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />Well im fairly new with telescopes (a few weeks) and i also have a 4.5" telescope. It's a Celestron Astromaster 114mm. Viewing the Andromeda Galaxy AKA M31,&nbsp;is not very good atm because its kind of near the horizon near 10-11. However, in summer&nbsp;I believe it&nbsp;will be high up in the sky (august i think).&nbsp;I have seen the Orion Nebula through my scope and it was great, you should have no trouble viewing it since ur telescope is also 4.5". Did ur telescope come with a CD for the computer that acts like a map of the sky? If so, it'll be pretty easy to find Nebula's and Galaxies. To find the Orion Nebula, find orions constellation,&nbsp;look at the third star on the left of orions belt (the three stars which are in a line horizontally). Under which, there will be three fainter stars. The "star" in the middle of the faint stars is the nebula. Oh btw, use low magnification to find the object, then you can use higher magnification for seeing fainter stars in the nebula. Srry if I wasn't that clear, lol im in grd 9.

C

Cassini12

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Well im fairly new with telescopes (a few weeks) and i also have a 4.5" telescope. It's a Celestron Astromaster 114mm. Viewing the Andromeda Galaxy AKA M31,&nbsp;is not very good atm because its kind of near the horizon near 10-11. However, in summer&nbsp;I believe it&nbsp;will be high up in the sky (august i think).&nbsp;I have seen the Orion Nebula through my scope and it was great, you should have no trouble viewing it since ur telescope is also 4.5". Did ur telescope come with a CD for the computer that acts like a map of the sky? If so, it'll be pretty easy to find Nebula's and Galaxies. To find the Orion Nebula, find orions constellation,&nbsp;look at the third star on the left of orions belt (the three stars which are in a line horizontally). Under which, there will be three fainter stars. The "star" in the middle of the faint stars is the nebula. Oh btw, use low magnification to find the object, then you can use higher magnification for seeing fainter stars in the nebula. Srry if I wasn't that clear, lol im in grd 9. <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV></p><p>Yes that is very helpful. Thanks.I will look at some point this week for sure. I thought orion was low in horizon this time of year also, I gues not. I will check for it tonight if it's clear<br /></p>

T

TahaSiddiqui

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Yes that is very helpful. Thanks.I will look at some point this week for sure. I thought orion was low in horizon this time of year also, I gues not. I will check for it tonight if it's clear <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />Well actually you're right, it is fairly low to the horizon. However, I've been able to see the Orion Nebula at around 9pm-10pm this month from my backyard and the park. I would advise you to go to a nearby park because there are less obstructions (houses and lights). If ur facing south and looking&nbsp;at the Orion Constellation at around 9-10pm, it should be visible. However, remember, you will see no color for deep space objects such as nebula's and galaxies. I usually like viewing the Orion Nebula under 50X or even 100X but you may want to find it using around lower magnifications because of the greater FOV. GOOD LUCK :)

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>As far as I thought Meade was "best" in telescope business for non commercial atleast. I know I cant compare my 4.5" $300 scope to a 11" probably $2000+ scope, but I just want to know, in your opinions who makes the most durabile, best quality picture, telescopes?I ask becasue one day (not any time soon) i plan on buying a nice 10-14" scope. And I was thinking the LX200 is the best of the best, but after seeing the Celestron I am on edge as&nbsp; to what brand is better. Also as far as mounts go, what is the diffrence in operation/reliabliliy between a Fork mount and a equatorial mount? just by looking at the two online, I like the idea of the fork mount, it just seems sturdier and smoother. &nbsp;thanks all <br /> Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>As previously mentioned, both companies can make good schmidt-cassegrain scopes. &nbsp;However, Meade assembles it's scopes differently and I think it has poor quality control, judging by the complaints I've heard over the years. &nbsp;So when you buy a Meade, it's something of a crap-shoot, while Celestron has a better reputation of producing consistently high-quality scopes. &nbsp;This is perhaps reflected in their two-year warranty, as opposed to Meade's one-year warranty....what does that tell you? &nbsp; And supposedly, Celestron's unique C9.25 is unsurpassed in imaging quality. &nbsp;if I were in the market for a SC, that's what I'd buy.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts