The Future of Science Missions - Man Obselete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

le3119

I am working on a serious hard-science concept for an Interplanetary Manned Exploration Vehicle, and considering all dimensions and aspects of the mission. It seems to me that such large-scale productions, on the scale of large ships with artificial gravity and adv propulsion, are really the stuff of sci-fi past, and will be avoided in the future in favor of sending fleets of smart microprobes to any solar system body targeted for investigation. I envision a large "ten year mission" expedition, with 50 to 100 humans, plus manned and unmanned landing craft, power, agriculture down to every detail of neccessity. I've concluded that such operations, aimed at the outer planets, will be undertaken by governments, as robots are more economical and becoming more versatile, requiring infrequent missions with tiny crews for follow up recon and exploration. In the next 20 years we'll be able to land smart robots on any body in the solar system, delaying the development of the adv propulsion systems we dream of today to carry people to these worlds. Well, I intend to complete this project, as I know posters do this here from time to time. But I'm beginning to think that science fiction is more and more obselete cost-prohibitive fantasy. Thought anyone?

C

crix

If the objective is pure science then yes, I would agree that factoring in people would add unnecessary cost. Additionally, the robotics technology 20 years from now WILL be the stuff of current sci-fi movies and will very capable. However, we aren't sending humans back to the moon because they can perform science more efficiently than robots, but simply because human beings want to go there for themselves.<br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts