The Hobbit films greenlighted

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Studios: Warner, MGM and New Line

When: 2 films shot back-to-back, the first released in late 2011

Director: Peter Jackson

May not shoot in New Zealand though as some unions are still boycotting.

S

starsinmyeyes44

Finally!!!

I think they could make a movie about what it has taken to make this movie!

The LOTR trilogy is spectacular, in my opinion, and I'm sure Jackson will do a superb job on The Hobbit as well. ( I never gave up hope that he would be the director!)

A

a_lost_packet_

docm":2siq8gxb said:
Studios: Warner, MGM and New Line

When: 2 films shot back-to-back, the first released in late 2011

Director: Peter Jackson

May not shoot in New Zealand though as some unions are still boycotting.

Why are they boycotting?

Heck, LoTR made the entire world know how beautiful New Zealand can be. What possible reason could they have for a boycott?

Thanks for the great news, though!

Hmm.. Two films? Well, I suppose cutting it when the party is imprisoned by the Elf King might work. Or, maybe when Frodo gains the Ring and escapes from Gollum? I'll have to re-read it.. been awhile.

D

docm

The story via AFP....

NZealand unions keep mum on 'Hobbit' boycott

(AFP) – 2 days ago

WELLINGTON — New Zealand unions and filmmakers reported "productive" talks Thursday on a row threatening Peter Jackson's "Hobbit" movies, but would not say if a global boycott of the film had been lifted.

International actors' unions slapped the ban on the production after Jackson refused to negotiate with NZ Actors Equity over minimum standards on the set, prompting the director to threaten to move the shoot from New Zealand.

At a meeting Thursday arranged by the New Zealand government, the Screen Production and Development Association, NZ Actors Equity and the Council of Trade Unions attempted to break the impasse.

"It was a useful and productive discussion," they said in a joint statement issued after the talks.

"The parties have agreed to work together to update the conditions of engagement for performers in the New Zealand screen production industry."

All sides refused further comment, except to say the process would help ensure New Zealand remained an attractive film production environment, refusing to say whether the boycott that angered Jackson still stands.

The ban, supported by the International Federation of Actors and the influential US Screen Actors Guild, urges members not to work on "The Hobbit" until an agreement is reached.

Jackson has accused unions of "bully boy" tactics, sparking allegations from actors that workers on his sets are being short-changed.
>

A

a_lost_packet_

Hmm... SAG is supporting this as well? Is there something really there or is this just a smokescreen for more hospitality carts?

D

docm

Union power play. A lot of productions have been having this problem. Most just give in, but Jackson is't the type.

S

starsinmyeyes44

docm":h9lg5ysz said:
Union power play. A lot of productions have been having this problem. Most just give in, but Jackson is't the type.

Indeed. Here is an article that has a letter that explains Peter Jackson's view of the boycott.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/peter-j ... ully-boys/

Peter Jackson writes:

"Statement regarding The Hobbit and claims by the Australian Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA):

The Australian Labour Union, the MEAA is using our production The Hobbit in an attempt to widen it's membership, and power within the New Zealand film industry. As a New Zealand filmmaker, who has nothing to hide or be ashamed about, I'm not going to see this threatening behaviour continue without some form of sensible discussion about the "facts" and "truth" behind their various allegations.

It's incredibly easy to wave the flag on behalf of workers and target the rich studios. It's not hard to generate an emotive response, nor is it hard to sway public opinion, since nobody seems to like the facts to get in the way of a good story in these situations.

Behind the claims of exploiting actors who are cast in the "non-Union" Hobbit production, and claims that various high-profile stars will refuse to take part in the films, there are clear agendas at work. As usual with these agendas, they are based on money and power.

I am not a lawyer, nor am I an expert in unions and how they operate - but I like to think I have a degree of common sense, and that's what I'm basing my observations on. Let me run over a few facts:

-- Personally speaking, I'm not anti-Union in the slightest. I'm a very proud and loyal member of three Hollywood Unions - the Directors Guild, the Producers Guild and the Writers Guild. I support the Screen Actors Guild (SAG). All these organisations (I must confess I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between a "Guild" and a "Union") do terrific work on behalf of their members.

-- Many Actors are members of SAG, but many are not -- especially younger actors and many Australian and New Zealand performers. MEAA claims we are "non-Union", but whenever we hire an actor who belongs to SAG, we always honour their working conditions, their minimum salary agreements and their residuals.

-- The SAG residuals is a small pot of money that comes from the movie's profits. The DGA and WGA have similar schemes. An agreed upon percentage of movie profits is placed in a pot, which is shared amongst the members of the guild who worked on the film in question. Despite MEAA claims that The Hobbit is "non-Union", our studio, Warner Brothers, is honouring these residuals, and making the profit sharing available to all the various Guild members - just as it did on The Lord of the Rings, and Universal did on King Kong.

-- These residuals can be worth tens of thousands of dollars to an individual if the film is successful - however the normal situation is that if an actor is not a member of SAG, they do not share in the profit pot.

-- This has always struck us as unfair, since most Kiwi actors are not lucky enough to be SAG members. For the Hobbit, Warner Brothers have agreed to create a separate pot of profit participation, which will be divided up amongst non-SAG actors who are cast in the film. This was not done because of any pressure from Guilds or Unions - it was actually Warners doing the decent thing, and New Zealand and Australian actors will be the principle beneficiaries. SAG members have their pot, and non-SAG members now have theirs. We have introduced the scheme to Kiwi agents and it's now part of all our Hobbit cast deals.

-- Whatever damage MEAA is attempting to do -- and it will do damage, since that's their principal objective in targeting The Hobbit - we will continue to treat our actors and crew with respect, as we always have.

-- As I said earlier, money and power lies behind this threatening behaviour from our Australian cousins, and to fully understand that, you simply have to step back and look at the greater picture in context.

-- It starts with "NZ Actors Equity". This is a tiny organisation that represents a small minority of New Zealand Actors. They are not a Union, and have none of the legal status of a Union. They are a ... well, a smallish group who have some New Zealand actors as members. How many actors are members of NZ Equity? They guard that information very closely, but various reports I've seen put their membership at 200, although somebody in the know swears it's nearer 100.

-- How many professional actors are there in New Zealand? Somewhere between 2000 and 4000, depending on just how you describe a "professional actor". Obviously most Kiwi actors have other employment too, but there's certainly over 2000 actors available to cast in a film production.

-- So taking the most generous numbers, NZ Actors Equity represents 200 out of 2000 Kiwi actors, or 10%. Perhaps I'm wrong, and if so, NZ Equity will no doubt reveal their real membership numbers.

- Now there's nothing wrong with NZ Actors Equity representing 10% of the actors in this country. It's great that they offer that service, and if an actor chooses, there's a supportive group they can join. Obviously the more actors that join NZ Equity, the better, since these organisations usually survive by taking a small percentage of their members acting fees. I'm guessing that Equity do something like that. Recently they have been part-funded by MEAA.

- Over the last 10 years our relationship with NZ Equity has been rocky -- whenever we cast an "overseas actor", we get a letter telling us why such and such Kiwi actor would be so much better in the role. In most cases we have already auditioned the actor in question, and formed our own opinions -- but what strikes me as unfair, is how this "helpful" service of suggesting better choices only includes the "Equity 200". If you happen to be a good actor who doesn't belong to NZ Equity (and many don't), you're automatically not good enough to be put forward.

-- What really does strike me as wrong, and this is my personal opinion, is the why that the MEAA is using NZ Actors Equity as a vehicle to represent the voices and opinions of New Zealand actors. A couple of years ago, the members of NZ Actors Equity voted to join some kind of alliance with the Australian MEAA group. At the time, there were voices of alarm at how this relationship could damage the interest of Kiwi Actors, but the merger went ahead - and now we're about to find out just how damaging it's going to be.

-- As far as I know, the membership of NZ Actors Equity was allowed into the MEAA, meaning that the Australian MEAA organisation represents 200 out of 2000 Kiwi actors. I don't believe it represents non-Equity NZ actors. It speaks on behalf of a tiny minority of our actors.

-- The management of NZ Equity are clearly happy to be used as a political football by the Australians -- but my sympathy goes to the 1800 New Zealand Actors who are not part of the "Equity 200", but who are going to suffer the fallout if this Hobbit thing goes nuclear.

-- I also feel a growing anger at the way this tiny minority is endangering a project that hundreds of people have worked on over the last two years, and the thousands about to be employed for the next 4 years. The hundreds of millions of Warner Brothers dollars that is about to be spent in our economy.

-- Why is this endangered? Because the "demands" of MEAA cannot be agreed to, or even considered - by law - and therefore the only options that remain involve closing the Hobbit down, or more likely shifting the production to Europe. It could so easily happen. I've been told that Disney are no longer bring movies to Australia because of their frustration with the MEAA.

-- The MEAA is demanding that the Hobbit production company (Warners owned, 3foot7 Ltd) enter into negotiations for a Union negotiated agreement covering all performers on the film.

-- I personally have a problem with any organisation who represent a small minority, but attempt to take control of everyone - but that's not the real issue. The complex web of NZ labour laws are the reason why this demand will never be agreed to.

-- NZ law prohibits engaging in collective bargaining with any labour organisation representing performers who are independent contractors, as film actors clearly are. The NZ Commerce Act claims it would be unlawful to engage with an Australian Union on these matters.

In closing:

My personal opinion is that this is a grab for power. It does not represent a problem that needs a solution. There will always be differing opinions when it comes down to work and conditions, but I have always attempted to treat my actors and crew with fairness and respect. We have created a very favourable profit sharing pool for the non-Union actors on The Hobbit -- and now the Union is targeting us, despite the fact that we have always respected SAG conditions and residuals.

I can't see beyond the ugly spectre of an Australian bully-boy, using what he perceives as his weak Kiwi cousins to gain a foothold in this country's film industry. They want greater membership, since they get to increase their bank balance.

The conspiracy theories are numerous, so take your pick: We have done better in recent years, with attracting overseas movies -- and the Australians would like a greater slice of the pie, which begins with them using The Hobbit to gain control of our film industry. There is a twisted logic to seeing NZ humiliated on the world stage, by losing the Hobbit to Eastern Europe. Warners would take a financial hit that would cause other studios to steer clear of New Zealand.

-- Seriously, if the Hobbit goes east (Eastern Europe in fact) -- look forward to a long dry big budget movie drought in this country.

-- Others gain from that too. SAG would much rather have it's members hired on movies -- as opposed to non-SAG actors. The easiest way to control that, is to stem what are called "runaway productions", which are American funded films made outside of America. The Hobbit is one of them, as was King Kong and LOTR. SAG, which is naturally supporting MEAA, would see it's own benefit in studios having a miserable experience in Australia/New Zealand. That may well be pushing the conspiracy theories one step too far, and it's perfectly natural that one Union would support another - but the point is that in the complex web of Hollywood intrigue, you never really know who's doing what to whom and why.

But it sure feels like we are being attacked simply because we are a big fat juicy target - not for any wrong doing. We haven't even been greenlit yet! It feels as if we have a large Aussie cousin kicking sand in our eyes ... or to put it another way, opportunists exploiting our film for their own political gain.

Peter Jackson

(NB: This represents Peter Jackson's opinion as a Kiwi filmmaker, and not that of Warner Bros or New Line Cinema, who were not consulted about this statement.)"

A

a_lost_packet_

Wow! Thanks for that, stars!

I get the picture. If what Jackson say's is true, which sounds so believable that it must be, then the litigants in this matter are shooting themselves in the face.

If The Hobbit is not made in New Zealand, New Zealand is going to give the impression that it is not a country that works well with the movie industry. In the end, the NZ agency that was merged with the MEAA will not have any clients to represent.

What Warner did for workers on The Hobbit was generous, ensuring that non-Union members also could benefit the same as Union members. Though, to be honest, I also think that was a cheeky move to take a bit of the wind out of the sales of the Unions. If everyone gets options, it's one less point in the Union's favor.

This is sad. I have a feeling we are not going to get to see the wonderful vistas of New Zealand in the Hobbit. No original Hobbiton, no Bag End, etc.. /sigh Oh well, if that happens it's New Zealand's fault, not Jackson's.

S

starsinmyeyes44

It appears that the unions involved have come to their senses and realize what a tremendous loss it would be for the NZ film industry if "The Hobbit" moved to Ireland or Britain.

It still isn't clear if filming will be in NZ...as the article states, Warner has lost confidence in the parties involved and may not want to take the risk of filming there.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111802 ... z12wXZ1xfn

"Kiwi 'Hobbit' boycott ends
But production may move out of New Zealand
By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

The battle over Middle Earth isn't over.
Unions may have called off a boycott of Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit," but New Line and Warner Bros. could still move the big-budget production out of New Zealand entirely.

That's according to Jackson, as well as several insiders who are involved with the production. In a statement, Jackson said the damage inflicted by New Zealand Actors' Equity and other groups was long since done.

"The lifting of the blacklist on The Hobbit does nothing to help the films stay in New Zealand," Jackson said. "Next week Warners are coming down to New Zealand to make arrangements to move the production offshore. It appears we now cannot make films in our own country -- even when substantial financing is available.

Jackson's statement, issued jointly with producing partner Fran Walsh, was released not long after New Zealand Actors' Equity called off the boycott early Thursday in New Zealand.

"Following positive developments in discussions between the Screen Production & Development Assn. and NZ Actors' Equity over the last week and in an effort to re-establish stability in the New Zealand film industry, NZ Equity has recommended to all international performance unions that they rescind any forms of advice to their members that they not work on the feature film production 'The Hobbit,'" said the newly organized union in a statement.

New Line and parent co. Warner Bros. didn't comment, but insiders stressed Warners -- which ultimately will make the decision about where to shoot "Hobbit" -- hasn't yet made a decision.

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key issued his own statement, saying he is prepared to meet with Warners in a bid to keep the "Hobbit" in that country.

"I think we have a strong position, but the industrial action from the unions has substantially undermined the confidence that Warner Brothers has in New Zealand," he told Radio New Zealand. "The Government will have to sit down and talk to them and see what we can do to restore that confidence."

A

a_lost_packet_

Good news and bad news. It's good to see the Unions have withdrawn their protest. But, the bad news is that the damage may already have been done. That's the problem with a production team that has a choice - They can always choose to exercise that choice. I think the Unions thought they had a captive audience they could push around and I think Warner might want to set an example. Pluse, $500 million isn't exactly something you want to play around with. They may not want to invest that kind of money into a production in NZ only to have the Unions pull another power-play stunt in the middle of production.

If it's not done in NZ, I'll miss the beautiful vistas and the continuity. But, for $500 million, they can afford to dig up "Hobbiton" in NZ and relocate it..

D

docm

Turn on the lights and the rats head back to their holes :)

I read in the media press that the total cost to NZ would be more like $1.7 billion, counting all downstream economic activity but not other productions that decide not to bother risking the same happening to them.

Damned expensive tantrum.

A

a_lost_packet_

It's amazing how so many concerns of the righteously indignant seem to vanish as soon as the correct amount of money appears...

B

bdewoody

a_lost_packet_":1zmagdcc said:

It's amazing how so many concerns of the righteously indignant seem to vanish as soon as the correct amount of money appears...
Ain't it always about the money?

A

a_lost_packet_

bdewoody":35l1slb7 said:
Ain't it always about the money?

Yup. "Dignity" has its price, though it does fluctuate from person to person. There are a lot of things I will put up with for 1.5 billion dollars...

As a matter of fact, I challenge anyone to offer me 1.5 billion dollars, with a signed and witnessed contract and the ability to fulfill that contract, just to see if there is something I wouldn't do for that kind of money.

(Though, honestly, there are things I wouldn't do. But, that's obviously not my point. :) )

D

doublehelix

This was posted over on Newsarama in another Hobbit-related thread:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04[/youtube]

I'm really not sure what to say.

-dh

A

a_lost_packet_

Just to wash the stain of Nimoy's voice out of everyone's ears...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbz9EYtzDEo[/youtube]

Note: Do a search on Youtube for "Tolkien Ensemble." They've converted all the poems in the Middle Earth books to music. Great stuff!

Add - Found their site. It's in German. There's a great clip with Christopher Lee introducing them. Watching them now... It's amazing that Tolkien's work has inspired so many people to do so many wonderful things.

D

doublehelix

She has a very pretty voice.

On the subject of music, bands, and fantasy stories, have you heard of "Harry and the Potters"? They are classified as "wizard rock". My favorite track is "Voldemort Can't Stop the Rock".

http://harryandthepotters.com/music/

-dh

A

a_lost_packet_

I shall listen to thine music, fair muse. But, I must warn thee; My patience wears thin with this Harry Potter. He is an affront to wizardry! No self-respecting practitioner of the Art would deign to ride forth upon a broom! Forsooth! Now then, this Voldemort fellow, he of the bald pate and jaundiced eye... There strides a true initiate of the Arcane!

She has a very pretty voice.

I didn't notice when I linked it, but the poster was doing a cover of their song. Still, she did a good job and has a nice voice.

Julia Lund is the vocalist for the Tolkien Ensemble, I think - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk0Vozv-dk8

Edit-Add - I listened to the Voldemort song... As soon as they started singing, a bird outside my window threw a fit. I kid you not! He was not amused. When I stopped the track, the bird calmed down and quieted within 20 seconds. Now, he's nice and silent, doing whatever birds do when they're not aggravating me... Tis apprehension of yon avian displeasure which prevents my further enjoyment of your humble offering, milady.... thank god..

;)

S

starsinmyeyes44

So....it is finally decided!

The Hobbit will be filmed in New Zealand.

Whew...maybe principle photography will begin soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11633724

The Hobbit will be made in New Zealand, PM confirms

" Two movies based on The Hobbit will be filmed in New Zealand as planned, the country's prime minister has confirmed.

The announcement follows two days of talks with Hollywood executives over whether the Lord of the Rings prequels should be shot in the country.

Warner Bros and New Line had considered taking the production elsewhere after acting unions threatened to boycott the films in a row over wages.

"I am delighted we have achieved this result," PM John Key said at 0720 BST.

"Making the two Hobbit movies here will not only safeguard work for thousands of New Zealanders, but it will also follow the success of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy in once again promoting New Zealand on the world stage"

Another source:
http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/officia ... w-zealand/

S

starsinmyeyes44

Here is a little more about the cast of "The Hobbit"...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1921059 ... -hobbitem/

"This week's Ketchup is full of news about prequels, sequels and remakes. The prequels in the news this week are The Hobbit and X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2, and there's also news for The Hangover 2 and Iron Man 3. Hollywood's remake fever continues this week with revisits to The Day of the Triffids, The Forbin Project, The Thin Man and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

THIS WEEK'S TOP STORY

MARTIN FREEMAN AND MANY OTHERS ARE CAST IN THE HOBBIT
Following weeks of rumors, Martin Freeman, the star of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and costar of the original, UK version of The Office, has been confirmed as being cast as Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson's two movies based upon J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. Martin Freeman is not the only actor to be announced this week, however, as most of the Company of Dwarves has also been cast. British TV actor Richard Armitage (who also has a role as a Nazi in Captain America: The First Avenger) will play Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the company. The selection of Armitage echoes the theme of the other actors playing dwarves; all are relatively obscure actors best known for working in British TV or film. They are: Aidan Turner (Kili), Rob Kazinsky (Fili), Graham McTavish (Dwalin), John Callen (Oin), Stephen Hunter (Bombur), Mark Hadlow (Dori) and Peter Hambleton (Gloin). The dwarf actors join the previously cast Sir Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis, who are reprising their Lord of the Rings roles as Gandalf the Grey and Gollum. Still yet to be cast are a number of human and elf roles, including Elrond (presuming Hugo Weaving is not returning), Beorn and Bard the Bowman. Among the actors who are reportedly in talks about unspecified roles are David Tennant (Doctor Who), Stephen Fry, and Saorise Ronan. Finally, there is Smaug the Dragon, for whom Bill Nighy is reportedly in discussions to provide the voice work. Filming is scheduled to begin on the two Hobbit movies in February, 2010, either in the UK or New Zealand (pending further announcement).

FRESH DEVELOPMENTS THIS WEEK

#1 SEQUEL TO A ROTTEN MOVIE GETS A FRESH DIRECTOR: WOLVERINE 2
The last few weeks have been full of stories about both who will direct the sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and what will be the next movie for director Darren Aronofsky (The Wrestler, Requiem for a Dream) following this December's Black Swan. More recently, those two stories started to come together, with word that Aronofsky was the seemingly unlikely frontrunner for the Wolverine 2 job. This week, Wolverine star Hugh Jackman confirmed that Darren Aronofsky has indeed signed on with 20th Century Fox. Jackman was effusive in his praise for Aronofsky, though he admitted, "well, I would say that, but I really do feel that, and I feel this is going to be very different." Jackman continued, "this is Wolverine. This is not Popeye. He's kind of dark... but you know, this is a change of pace. Chris McQuarrie, who wrote The Usual Suspects, has written the script, so that'll give you a good clue. [Aronofsky's] going to make it fantastic. There's going to be some meat on the bones. There will be something to think about as you leave the theater, for sure." Darren Aronofsky has long wanted to make his version of a superhero movie, going back several years before Christopher Nolan came aboard the Batman movie, when Aronofsky was developing an adaptation of Frank Miller's Batman: Year One at Warner Bros. Another quasi-superhero project that Aronofsky was once developing (which has since been abandoned) was a reboot of Robocop at the now-struggling MGM.

#2 DISNEY MAKES ANOTHER MARVEL DEAL AND SCHEDULES IRON MAN 3 FOR 2013
When Walt Disney Studios acquired Marvel Studios several months ago, a lingering question was what exactly would become of the already announced movies Marvel had planned with Paramount Pictures. Marvel and Paramount had established a good relationship with the first two Iron Man movies, and it was to continue with Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers. This week, Disney paid Paramount $115 million for the transfer of the distribution rights to The Avengers and the planned Iron Man 3, with Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger remaining Paramount releases. Additionally, this announcement also included a May 3, 2013 release date for Iron Man 3, which may make it the first major Marvel Studios movie to be released after The Avengers on May 4, 2012. Other Marvel Studios projects currently in development include Runaways, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Nick Fury, Black Widow, Black Panther and Luke Cage.

#3 SPIELBERG'S NEXT MOVIE AFTER WAR HORSE WILL BE... ROBOPACLYPSE
Steven Spielberg is currently filming the World War I drama War Horse, but the acclaimed director has already chosen his next project, which will see him returning to the science fiction genre. Robopocalypse is an upcoming novel (June, 2011) by Daniel H. Wilson about the human race struggling against a robot uprising, which brings to mind movies like I, Robot and the Terminator franchise. Even as it was still being written, screenwriter Drew Goddard (Cloverfield), who also wrote several episodes of LOST, Alias, Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, worked in conjunction with Wilson, receiving novel pages and adapting them into the screenplay. Robopocalypse will be distributed by Disney's Touchstone Pictures, and Spielberg expects to start filming in January, 2012 for a release in 2013. Although Robopocalypse will be Spielberg's next film, the reason for the long delay in filming is that he'll be busy with postproduction on War Horse, and he'll also have the CGI animated movie Tin Tin: The Secret of the Unicorn in postproduction. Both War Horse and Tin Tin: The Secret of the Unicorn will be released in December, 2011, just five days from each other.

#4 WILL JOHNNY DEPP LOSE WEIGHT TO PLAY THE THIN MAN?
Although there's no script yet for the project, Johnny Depp reportedly wants to star in a Warner Bros remake of the 1934 film The Thin Man. Depp's idea includes recruiting director Rob Marshall (Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha), who is currently directing Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. The Thin Man was originally based upon a 1934 detective novel by Dashiell Hammett (The Maltese Falcon), and went on to inspire five more sequels, all of which also starred William Powell and Myrna Loy. There was also a Thin Man TV series on NBC from 1957 to 1959. The Thin Man tells the story of retired private investigator Nick Charles and his wife Nora who return to detective duty after the disappearance of a friend (who is actually the "Thin Man," not Nick Charles). Since there's no script for the Thin Man remake yet, the project is probably at least a few years away from happening. In the meantime, Rob Marshall is expected to start talking to Universal soon about possibly directing their planned movie adaptation of the hit musical Wicked.

#5 SAM RAIMI EYES THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS REMAKE
A few weeks ago, the news of a planned remake of The Day of the Triffids hit the Internet to a tepid reaction from fans. This week, the rights to that remake went up for auction, and they were won by Mandate Pictures, representing Sam Raimi's Ghost House production company. Mandate reportedly paid more for The Day of the Triffids than for any other project they've ever purchased. The reason for the high bid is that Sam Raimi (Spider-Man, The Evil Dead franchise) hopes to direct this remake, as the original movie was one of his favorite films growing up. The Day of the Triffids was a British 1951 science fiction novel by John Wyndham about a bio-engineered species of intelligent plants that take over after a massive meteor shower blinds most of the humans on Earth. The Day of the Triffids was then adapted as a British movie in 1962, and also as two UK TV mini-series, in 1981 and then last year in 2009. When the remake was announced in September, there was talk about The Day of the Triffids being filmed in 3D, but there's no word yet as to whether Sam Raimi also wants to film it in 3D."

A

a_lost_packet_

WHAT?!

Hugo Weaving not returning? .. Not playing Elrond? Sacrilege!

That HAS to be wrong. A search turned up all sorts of comments by Weaving and others confirming his return as Elrond. Though, he has also been cast as Red Skull in the Capt. America movie.

So far, it's just listed as "rumored" on IMDB though: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/

??

He had better be back.. He did an excellent job with Elrond and I hate seeing pivotal flavor-characters like that recast.

S

starsinmyeyes44

Didn't know that it took legislation to have the films stay in NZ!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101029/film_nm/us_hobbit

"The New Zealand government on Friday passed legislation clearing the way for two "Hobbit" films to be made in the country despite stiff protest by opposition lawmakers, who said it was a "day of shame."

The government's decision to rush through amended labor laws, part of the deal made with Warner Bros. Pictures to keep director Peter Jackson's lucrative project in his native New Zealand, has split public opinion.

Some union officials reportedly received death threats in the wake of a short-lived international boycott over working conditions.

Warner Bros. executives said they would consider moving the production elsewhere, a move that could have cost the country $1.5 billion and damaged the reputation of its fledgling film industry. They flew down to New Zealand earlier this week to negotiate with a delegation led by Prime Minister John Key.

The government said announced a deal on Wednesday to keep the films in New Zealand, although it was forced to hand over tens of millions of dollars for the privilege."

A

a_lost_packet_

Wow... That's kind of.. sad.

I like Kiwis. All that I have met were pretty cool people. To think Warner can sort of push them around like that... Sure, I can understand them wanting to keep their film industry expanding. But, to actually push through legislation? I guess I'd have to see what it was first, before I felt good about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.