The land of the mammoth - Science channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newtonian

Relates to cause of extinction which relates to astronomy.<br /><br />The program will repeat regularly for 24 hours from 5 PM.<br /><br />A few notes:<br /><br />The Science channel (DirecTV channel 284) - The Land of the Mammoth<br /><br />Said to be 20,380 years ago.- only about 4.5 times older than what I expected the age to be, c. 4,375 years old.<br /><br />A 47 year old male- flesh and bone were also found.<br /><br />Scattered discoveries over the decades have shown evidence the wooly mammoth was around at the end of the last ice age, or - more accurately, the last catastrophe.<br /><br />Ivory and bones are often found by Siberian nomads, notably the Dogans.<br /><br />Russian mammoth hunters have researched the mammoths for decades.<br /><br />Marsha (a mammoth) was found intact in 1988.<br /><br />50 million years ago (estimate) this area was tropical. The means of dating are not mentioned. I suspect this was more like 13,000 years ago.<br /><br />Microevolution of mammoths and elephants from their common ancestor is discussed briefly.- also migration <br /><br />2.5 million years ago the southern mammoth went to Europe, and the Columbian mammoth migrated to North America about 1 million years ago.- and then the wooly mammoth.<br /><br />100,000 years ago they went to North America while the Columbian Mammoth migrated south to Mexico.<br /><br />Woolly Rhino also existed side by side with mammoths in Siberia.<br /><br />A smell attracts researchers - deep in a crevasse<br /><br />1989 expedition used water hoses to get a mammoth free.- but this washes away some of the evidence- such as microorganisms. <br /><br />A Green grass with roots was found preserved. <br /><br />Pollen in the sediment is discovered.<br /><br />Well preserved pollen, predominant grass like steppe environment.<br /><br />Grasses, shrubs, flowers.<br /><br />Quite different from the present tundra environment.<br /><br />Compare a different interpretation involving the Noachian flood, not presented on this program.

N

newtonian

Now part II is airing and will repeat later.<br /><br />The cause for the extinction of mammoths and other wildlife is said be unknown.<br /><br />I had thought the evidence showed a massive flood and sudden change in climate from temperate-moderate to arctic, and sudden freezing of carcasses and plants, etc., which preserved them. <br /><br />So far the evidence is that little rot occurred in some of the finds, supporting this older interpretation.

N

newtonian

A few more notes and comments:<br /><br />No wooly rhino yet. Giant deer was also contemporary with mammoths. <br />_________________________<br /><br />Part II- October 1999 the Charkov mammoth was found.<br /><br />The extinction of mammoths and other Siberian wildlife is said to be for reasons unknown.<br /><br />One Russian team found remains of 5 mammoths and one ancient horse.<br /><br />Evidence of abundant food for the mammoths.<br /><br />Tooth marks on bones - predation since or during? I suspect since.<br /><br />The assumption on the program is contemporary carnivores- I doubt that.<br /><br />Were humans contemporary with mammoths?<br /><br />I suspect yes.<br /><br />There is evidence in other parts of the world that humans and mammoths were contemporary.,<br /><br />That would confirm the last catastrophe caused these extinctions.<br /><br />Humans were not responsible for the extinction of Siberian wildlife- I thought that was obvious!<br /><br />Near Kiev evidence is found for humans hunting mammoths. <br /><br />The more popular hypothesis for mammoth extinction is a sudden change in climate. Siberia was also flooded by 300 feet of water (or more perhaps).<br /><br />VS. Antarctic and Greenland ice core evidence - theories. This is not consistent since the interpretations of these cores indicate fluctuating temperatures- hence conflicts with the temperature change as cause of extinction.<br /><br />I suspect the Antarctic and Greenland evidence has been misinterpreted, and the evidence for sudden and permanent deep freezing of Siberian wildlife is being ignored- though observed!<br /><br />Disease as a cause is considered (compare the Martians in War of the Worlds).<br /><br />Flowers of ________________ were found with pollen still inside, temperatures changed dramatically. <br /><br />Massive mudstreams are indicated, preservation indicated by no oxygen from mudflow burial - I prefer the quick freexe theory - not mentioned on this program.<br /><br />Dating methods are indicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts