the only really great space sci-fi movie . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oker59

. . . 2001<br /><br />When I think of the great Sci-Fi movies(outside of more horror film than sci-fi like Alien), like Forbidden Planet and War of the Worlds, I can't help notice that they don't really take place 'in space.' <br /><br />And, if some sci-fi movies do take place 'in space', then they are not that great like Battlestar Gallactica, or they are more fantasy or not about science like Star Wars(the originals).<br /><br />What other sci-fi movies actually take place 'in space'? And I suppose that you would rate as worthy of watching . . . i can name one now that I remember thinking about this earlier today . . . Silent Running!

O

oker59

On yes, I like the original Star Trek's, and since they were like X-files which ran for a whole hour, I'd consider them all movies in their own right.

W

willpittenger

Actually, the best movie from a scientific and technical accuracy point of view? That would still have to be <i>2001: A Space Odysseys</i>. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

W

willpittenger

I generally perfer movies to last at least 2 hours. However, I should note that ST:GEN was written and produced more like it was a 2 hour TV episode and nothing more. If nothing else, they needed a more detailed Enterprise model. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Y

yevaud

Forbidden Planet. What they did with 1950's special effects, plot, and acting is amazing. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

S

Skylark

oker59, Silent Running made me weep the first time I saw it, back in the '70s. I watched it again a few months ago and my weeping turned to sobs because in the '70s it was hard to imagine an executive order to blow up what remains of our forests and parkland, but today it is a distinct possibility. I cry for the dissolution of our humanity.

M

MeteorWayne

Yev, you already know, Forbidden Planet is #1 on my list. <br /><br />Another: The Day the Earth Still.<br /><br />As Yevaud said, they were not based on special effects necessarily, but plot and thoughtfulness. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

V

vogon13

Dark City!<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

O

oker59

good one . . . i had that ordered about a week ago and just got an e-mail saying those dvd orders are on the way . . . !

O

oker59

is there an orginal solaris movie?<br /><br />I tried watching the recent one . . . and found myself in other rooms doing other things while the t.v. was on . . . .

P

PistolPete

I actually liked the newer one better. It was more concise, it had a better script (in my opinion), it had better special effects (obviously), and most of the hardware actually looked like it could have been real. I've enjoyed watching it repeatedly. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

Y

yevaud

Yes, Dark City is way up there too. Dark, cynical, fast-paced, and downright weird. A great flick! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

5stone10

From Allmovie.com --<br /><br />"Based on a novel by Stanislaw Lem, <b><font color="yellow">Solaris</font></b>centers on widowed psychologist Kris Kelvin (Donata Banionis), who is sent to a space station orbiting a water-dominated planet called Solaris to investigate the mysterious death of a doctor, as well as the mental problems plaguing the dwindling number of cosmonauts on the station. Finding the remaining crew to be behaving oddly and aloof, Kelvin is more than surprised when he meets his seven-years-dead wife Khari (Natalya Bondarchuk) on the station. It quickly becomes apparent that Solaris possesses something that brings out repressed memories and obsessions within the cosmonauts on the space station, leaving Kelvin to question his perception of reality. Winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the 1972 Cannes Film Festival, Solaris was remade by Steven Soderbergh in 2002."<br /><br />http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:45502

Q

qzzq

Yeah, 2001 still is the best space film after all these years. Alien is very good too, but it's more a monster movie than a real space film.<br /><br />Solaris...well, if you have nothing to do on a dreary Sunday afternoon, it might be a way to waste a couple of hours. The movie is incredibly slow moving. Some of the shots take forever, but it's definitely worth a go. Like 2001, it captures the vastness and mystery of space rather well. I did like Soderbergh's remake BTW; both the special effects and the acting made it worthwhile. And the soundtrack was really good too. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>***</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts