The source of Jupiter's radio noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willpittenger

I was watching the History Channel's show, The Universe. The episode on Jupiter left me wondering about something. They said that in 1979, Voyager 2 answered a question that had been plaguing astronomers for some time. It had to do with the source of the radio noise from Jupiter's magnetosphere. Everyone was stating what they thought of the relevation, but they never state what Voyager 2 found.<br /><br />What was it? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

D

docm

Io injects SO2 into Jupiter's magnetosphere, producing a torus of particles around Jupiter itself. As Io moves through the torus there is an interaction that generates Alfven waves (an MHD effect) that carry the ionized particles into the Jovian polar regions. This sets up a cyclotron maser whose emission cone sometimes points toward Earth. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

willpittenger

Thanks. I knew about the torus. But not the rest. It's too back they left that out of the show. I had my Showstopper replay it and still did not hear the explanation. Too much excitement; not enough facts. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.