The Venture Star

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eburacum45

The Valkyrie/Venture Star design is good, because it is in tension and not in compression. That means it is held together by strong cables, and this saves weight; perhaps a tension-spacecraft would need as much as 90% less fuel.

The design wouldn't quite work as advertised, though, because antimatter releases too much of its energy as gamma rays and neutrinos, which can't be used for thrust as far as anyone knows. So it would be much less efficient than Pellegrino seems to think. But it would be good for maybe 0.3c.

D

dryson

Faster PC's will mean more calculations being done every second to provide the best possible vector for an ion or other particle involved with the reaction. What I mean is current technology just simply adds fuel components adds an antenna here or there for ionization ect with the result being thrust. When each ion is controlled by an independant monitoring program that tells millions of smaller antenna's when to release their frequency that affects the ion along its travel theh instead of having a uncontrolled reaction we could then control the reaction between each particle from it's insertion to the moment of contact with it's reactionary particle to yield the most thrust and to conserve as much fuel as possible.
It sounds muddled right now but if you think about it what yields a better result an un-grooved rifle or a tightly grooved rifle barrell? The same idea applies here with engines. Create a better rifling in the barrel of the chamber and you will have better results and a higher thrust ratio to fuel use.

Thanks for the link EarthlingX.

D

dryson

The Valkyrie/Venture Star design is good, because it is in tension and not in compression. That means it is held together by strong cables, and this saves weight; perhaps a tension-spacecraft would need as much as 90% less fuel.

The design wouldn't quite work as advertised, though, because antimatter releases too much of its energy as gamma rays and neutrinos, which can't be used for thrust as far as anyone knows. So it would be much less efficient than Pellegrino seems to think. But it would be good for maybe 0.3c.

Thanks, I was wondering how they held the ship together. Although my design is very sound structurally because of the CBM's and their placement, I still want a little more rigidity between the modules so that torisional stress is not placed upon the CBM's when the ship torques due to the engines firing.

D

dryson

I still havent found the calculator that I need. What I am looking for is a calculator that I can enter the totall mass of the ship as well as the thrust velocity of each engine that is used to give me a total overall velocity when propelling the ship forward. It would also be nice to have a fuel consumed meter per each engine being used so that varrying levels of fuel consumption are listed. It would also be nice to have a calculator that calculates the total travel time of a ship based upon the mass of the ship being propelled by x number of engines along with the total fuel consumed per each engine for the distance traveled.

If I had the correct formula I could try an make a database with Works. Does anyone knwo of any good sites that may have what I have detailed above?

P.S. I will also try to have a better looking model than my Mario Brothers version in a few weeks. I Cant get the scan portion on this hp psc 1351xi to work. It will print and copy but will not scan. I have even downloaded the software from HP and it still doesnt scan.
Impeach Obama for cancelling the ORION and Constellation program knowing that the shuttle is being retired.

E

EarthlingX

Leave Obama out of this. You wanna talk crap, there are threads for that.

Here is something to keep you busy :
ORBITER is a free flight simulator

edit 2010.02.14
I will try to react a bit cooler next time, but don't promise.
For this time, i'm sorry.

D

dryson

eburacum45":1afkclys said:

I wonder if the cabling for the space elevator could be used to create tensioner's between modules or along the length of the ship. How I see the tensioners working is that as the ship is constructed the cabling would be attached to pullers that after each module has been docked with the module in front of it and behind it the pullers would draw in the cabling to create a stronger connection between the modules. The cables would function similar to how the vacuum sealed jars work.

D

dryson

I do not try to purposely get under Meteor Wayne's skin.

I have changed out the engine suite for Pilyhas-1 Transport/Explorer. Instead of using six VASIMIR engines three of them have been removed and replaced with three J-2X chemical engines to help provide initial thrust the VASIMIR would then fired up to provide cruising thrust.

Here is another conceptual design based on the Pilyhas-1 design. The first is a construction ship that is meant to emplace I.S.S. modules to stations around the Moon, Mars in between planets and at mining sites near the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

https://acrobat.com/#d=H7PmmnTqTQ95cO9OH2O-XQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts