Theoretical Space Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beanze

If we as a human race would expand and colonize our entire solar system and/or beyond, would there be rules?
Would there be a "You can't go faster than 1 ly/s" paragraph or anything alike?

what do you think? :shock: It just hit me though... I think we'd have twice or three times as many laws in space as we do here on space :x

W

webtaz99

I suggest you read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlien.

N

neutrino78x

Well we need to change the Outer Space Treaty so countries can claim pieces of Mars and other bodies. Space itself should not be able to be claimed -- it should be like international waters -- but like land on Earth, you should be able to claim land on other planets.

--Brian

S

Shpaget

Speed restrictions? :lol:
I think it would be wise to encourage achieving greater speeds (well at least until you get to 1 ly/s capability). ;)

Look at maritime and air laws. There are no speed restrictions except in some relatively small regulated areas.
Space is a big place and mid-space collisions wouldn't be likely to occur often, if that's what you're getting at.

O

origin

Shpaget":3s3ilmpp said:
Speed restrictions? :lol:
I think it would be wise to encourage achieving greater speeds (well at least until you get to 1 ly/s capability). ;)

Look at maritime and air laws. There are no speed restrictions except in some relatively small regulated areas.
Space is a big place and mid-space collisions wouldn't be likely to occur often, if that's what you're getting at.

There actually are air speed laws over most of the USA, but that is only because of the sonic booms that accompany supersonic flight.

S

StarRider1701

Lets see, laws in space. Hmmm, that means there would have to be lawyers. And most politicians are lawyers...

OH BOG! I can just see space cringing now! :lol:

S

Shpaget

origin":1b4b62pu said:
There actually are air speed laws over most of the USA, but that is only because of the sonic booms that accompany supersonic flight.

Yeah, I was thinking about civil aviation (the last supersonic passenger flight was almost seven years ago) and maritime traffic.
Never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts