Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KleinBottle

Why isn't 'time' the first dimension ? Did the "big bang" simply create - time ?

C

captdude

Why isn't 'time' the first dimension ? Did the "big bang" simply create - time ?

The big bang created time and space. Time is a measured reference of things moving through space. Time is not divisible from space.

R

ramparts

As for the question of why it's not the first dimension (as opposed to being the fourth, as we usually call it), well, that's just convention. You can call it first, second, whatever you feel like.

M

Mordred

Time was once defined as a measure of rate of change of events and once thought to move a a constant and stately pace.. It wasn't until recently that we recognize its relativistic change. Prior to that it knowledge it wasn't considered a dimension I don't believe.

J

Jerromy

At one time the earth was considered flat and the universe revolved around it... it's all perspective but time HAS existed since the 3D universe that we understand has begun. Time is a constant from anyone's perspective, relativistic effects only affect what that observer sees relative to the observer's time frame. It is like a conservation of energy effect when all 4D are considered inseperable, moving through 3 dimensions of space at a faster rate increases the energy which can be observed, therefore the time which appears to pass more slowly balances out the increase of energy.

Could anyone imagine time being the first dimension without any "space" for time to flow through? Much easier to imagine a stationary space without time...

O

observer7

Einstien had it right when he said that "time exist so that everything doesn't happen at once." That seems to be about the best explanation I've ever come across. And it fits with the dimensional nature of time; think of a timeline, it serves to separate and show the relationships between events.

This is a very complicated and contriversial subject. We may never have a definate answer because of the way our brains 'percieve' time. Some other creatures may be able to look at time the way we look at up and down. Their view of the universe would be vastly different then ours.

My proposition is this: We know that there are quantum fluxuations that create virtual particles. On the smallest scales, these particles must distort spacetime. Therefor there must be quantum effects on time. These effects may be what leads to time travel, FTL propulsion, teleportation, and any other 'spooky' effects that happen all the time on quantum scales, but so far have not been observed on the macro scale. I say give it time --- no pun intended ;-)

N

niebieskieucho

KleinBottle":bb3ou2j4 said:

Time (of something, because time spontaneously does not exist) can be named also as motion (of something). All the 3 dimensions are obviously time ones, as travelling in any direction anything needs time.

Time originated along with birth of matter.

--
I had a dream that I was on the Moon, but I woke up during new moon and couldn't ascertain where in fact I was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts