top 100 spaceships

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dryson

Nice video feed. One day humanity will look back at the images in the video as we actually look out of the windows of the ships that we see today as being merely movie models.

A

a_lost_packet_

JasonChapman, you might get a kick out of this site. It's one of my favorite "neat" sites on the net in the Sci-Fi catagory:

Jeff Russell's Starship Dimensions

Given your hobbies, you've probably already seen it. If so, then I offer it as an on-topic post to dryson et al. It's pretty darn awesome if you've ever wondered just how big a sci-fi spaceship was.

J

JasonChapman

Thanks for that 'Lost' I am familliar with this website, a lot of effort has gone into it.

A

a_lost_packet_

JasonChapman":1pdwah54 said:
Thanks for that 'Lost' I am familliar with this website, a lot of effort has gone into it.

/agree

I don't know how long I've been tuning into it. I drop by and check it from time to time. Sometimes there are new ships, sometimes new articles, sometimes nothing new. But, it's still pretty amazing the amount of effort that has gone into that website.

I read a blog post on there that it was mentioned on AMC's? blog/special/something on the science fiction community.. or something like that.. So, at least he has received some form of notoriety for all that effort. Though, I'm sure some of it has been shared with other enthusiasts.

(Am just now watching the vid. I've always wanted to do a model of the Cygnus. Yeah, the movie was pretty bad but the ship was definitely cool.)

Z

ZenGalacticore

JasonChapman":1a6dqhya said:
Just came across this, although, DS9, Babylon 5 and the Deathstar aren't spaceships they're space stations.

Well I've got news for you, Jason. Although DS9 and Babylon-5 (so far as I know) aren't spaceships, the Death Star IS! :lol:

The Death Star can travel through "hyperspace", that makes it a spaceship.

You better get your facts straight, young man! :)

B

bdewoody

What about the ship that transported VGER in the 1st Star Trek movie.

One of my fovorites is the Empire's Star Destroyer. I remember watching that ship grow and grow in the opening shots from Star Wars Episode IV. I watched it the first day, first showing and everyone was gasping at the scale of those ships.

C

crazyeddie

JasonChapman said:
Just came across this, although, DS9, Babylon 5 and the Deathstar aren't spaceships they're space stations.

That was a nice little trip down memory lane!

A

a_lost_packet_

bdewoody":2eo8dyd3 said:
What about the ship that transported VGER in the 1st Star Trek movie...

Yeah, although, I suppose it could be properly said that the entire ship was VGER. It was fully integrated into it, AFAIK.

But, I wondered the same thing you did. That has to be one of the largest spacecraft on film. If the Super Star Destroyer can be on there and it only got a little bit of airtime in Star Wars, why not VGER that got a outrageously long overflight by the Enterprise?

VGER got robbed man!

Of possible interest - The Probe in The Voyage Home was only a little bit smaller than VGER.

J

JasonChapman

ZenGalacticore":1tz1dytu said:
JasonChapman":1tz1dytu said:

Well I've got news for you, Jason. Although DS9 and Babylon-5 (so far as I know) aren't spaceships, the Death Star IS! :lol:

The Death Star can travel through "hyperspace", that makes it a spaceship.

You better get your facts straight, young man! :)

Actually Zen DS9 isn't a space station because it also moves. Pilot episode of DS9 it orginally orbited Bajor, then it had to move to the worm hole.

Oh my god I've been Assimilated, I'm a.. I'm a Trekkie.. n o o o

Actually it does make you wonder what actually qualifies as a space station.

A

a_lost_packet_

JasonChapman":bjruznx7 said:
..Actually it does make you wonder what actually qualifies as a space station.

I think it would be "intent" that defined it. A ship, after all, could be converted to a space-station simply by intent. Something designed to remain stationary and provide a centralized location for whatever purposes you wished to use it for would be a "space station" as long as that was its primary purpose.

A stationary space-fighter carrier would not be a space station, though it serves a similar purpose. It's intended to be temporary. It's primary purpose is being able to move.

However, chop the engines off of it or never intend to use them again after you have moved it to a location and then it is a space station.

Z

ZenGalacticore

I've always thought of a "space station" as an orbiting base, whether orbiting a planet, moon, or even a star. If it's on the surface of a moon or planet, it's a "base". Orbiting, it's a "space station".

Welcome to "space station" Earth.

Like Alp said though, if you put the Enterprise in a permanent geosynchronous orbit, and for good measure had Scotty remove her engines so as to cannibalize them for another vessel, voila! You have a "space station".

J

JasonChapman

something like this perhaps.

wallpaper43.jpg

S

StarRider1701

I have to agree with lost, jason. DS9 was a station. The Death Star was a ship. It was just bigger than most stations. But because it has its own motive power beyond simple station keeping abilities, it was a ship. A station can BE moved if necessary, but generally speaking isn't really designed to move much.

My favorite ship has long been the original Battlestar Galactica. I like the newer versions ok, but the original was clearly designed to be a space-going cross between a Battleship and an Aircraft Carrier. And as far as I can remember, it was the first spaceship that was designed specifically to be a ship of WAR.

B

bdewoody

StarRider1701":3t0gtk1z said:
I have to agree with lost, jason. DS9 was a station. The Death Star was a ship. It was just bigger than most stations. But because it has its own motive power beyond simple station keeping abilities, it was a ship. A station can BE moved if necessary, but generally speaking isn't really designed to move much.

My favorite ship has long been the original Battlestar Galactica. I like the newer versions ok, but the original was clearly designed to be a space-going cross between a Battleship and an Aircraft Carrier. And as far as I can remember, it was the first spaceship that was designed specifically to be a ship of WAR.
OK the Enterprise from TOS was purported to be a ship of exploration but it was pretty warlike too and did as much fighting as it did exploring. And Fireball XL5 was a warship and it came before both.

I too liked the original BSG and the follow on. With the outriggers used as fighter bays it struck me as a space version of an aircraft carrier. I also liked the idea that a starship that big needed to carry fighters for protection and offensive operations. The Enterprise on the other hand always struck me as improbable being so big and yet manuverable like a fighter.

S

StarRider1701

bdewoody":sq98jupq said:
OK the Enterprise from TOS was purported to be a ship of exploration but it was pretty warlike too and did as much fighting as it did exploring. And Fireball XL5 was a warship and it came before both.

The Enterprise on the other hand always struck me as improbable being so big and yet manuverable like a fighter.

One can mount guns on any ship, but that doesn't make it a warship. The Enterprise was an Exploration vessel that was also well armed. IN the Federation world, Defiant was the first vessel that I saw that was specifically designed for fighting. You can look in a harbor and easily tell the difference between a Destroyer and a freighter. One look at the Galactica and there was no doubt what she was built to do! FIGHT! That is what drew me to her right from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts