Universal Map Beyond Local Superclusters

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
Hello all, wishing you a great day!

I am hoping to inquire if there are any maps, preferably with some clarity, on the Universe beyond our Local Superclusters. I am currently starting out a new Sci-Fi book series, and having a more accurate reference into the expanse of what we currently know/have been able to see within our Universe would be a massive help! I understand there may not be any exactly accurate maps out there for this kind of thing, but one that has enough detail to use as some form of reference would be fantastic!

I ask, as I was hoping to utilise IC 1101, from the Abell Cluster, as well as others that I have not yet been able to find a map displaying them, at least in quality or clarity that would be usable, unlike other maps, even if just a theorised map, that show a more detailed, or clear display of our Local Superclusters.

Thank you very much!

Reactions: SmartTechTune
Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
Aye; I have glanced at this, doesn't it just show a small view as if looking from Planet Earth. I may be wrong! Haven't investigated it much, but couldn't get more than our local Solar System and nearby Stars I don't think; doesn't display the Superclusters. If I am wrong, then fantastic aha, maybe sorted!

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
I am just throwing this in as an idea, in case you cannot find what you want elsewhere.

If you can search the distances from here to two locations, the distances between which you seek, and you have the angle between them from simple geometry, then the required distance apart is an easy calculation. If you have three or more locations you want to plot, there would come a point where it might be irksome.

It all depends on the number of locations you want on your map.

Cat :)

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
That may indeed work! Worth a shot at the very least!

In an ideal Universe, I'd want to be able to have a rough map of Galaxies/clusters going from the Milky Way in all directions to the distance of the Abell Cluster and IC 1101 at the very least. But would that be possible? At least to generate in a visual sense

Catastrophe

Oooops
"map of Galaxies/clusters going from the Milky Way in all directions to the distance of the Abell Cluster . . . . . . )"
1 - 4 billion light years in all directions? Can't you narrow that down a little?

P.S. I haven't checked. Any idea how many objects that is?

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
Well the most narrow I could go would be the local superclusters; which I do already have documented, and thoroughly researched. So I'd say a pretty much straight funnel to the Abell Cluster to IC 1101 would be the most narrow I could go. Based on what happens within this series, it is a massive landscape to cover.

I suppose I could do some presumptions to fill in the gaps, there are documents on this of course, but I am specifically looking for a visual representation or as close to with this.

Catastrophe

OK, declination range is not too large, but RA is 14 to 9 hours apart.
Abell Cluster RA 1 h 30 m Dec -1°
IC1101 RA 15h 10m 56s | Dec +5° 44′ 41″
For Abell I just took a very quick estimate average.
I'll have to check my Star Atlas. Which RA way round do you want to go? 1=15 or 15-1?

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
1 = 15 :) wow! Thanks for the help Cat! Much appreciated with this!

I am hoping to include as much detail as possible, but Galaxies & large clusters are the priority.

Latest posts