Venus eruption/flare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oxize

Did someone check stereo on 24 till 26 july? There a big flare on venus? Can anyone confirm or tell this is is venus. Even today on 28 July the flare is still visible on Stereo behind.

20100724_104901_s4h1B.jpg

20100724_220901_s4h1B.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C5HSWTchWk[/youtube]

Is this normal? Never saw something like this before. Something hitted venus?

K

kg

Totally uneducated guess here but it looks to me that whatever the object is it's over exposed and off to the edge of the field of view of whatever is taking the image. I think that the "flair" is just light reflecting and being distorted by the optical elements in the instument.

O

Oxize

If it was an optical distortion i wont make a nice circular ring which started as small on the atmosphere of venus and then getting bigger. You can even see that on the video.

The long vertical line are distortions by instruments, but that nice circular ring on the left side of venus isnt.

So any amateur or professional astronomer, enlighten us please...

@KG: Do some research before accusing someone being un-educated. The ring is even visible today on Stereo behind, when venus is out of visible range of the instruments. Look how smooth that flare is.

M

MeteorWayne

Just FYI, you should provide a link to the source of the images.

Meteor Wayne

O

Oxize

Mystery solved:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFmzAkbKED4[/youtube]

My bad :oops:

M

MeteorWayne

Oxize, Thanx :)

Edit: That first thanx was for providing the link to the STEREO images.

This one {insert Thanx!! :) }is for being persisitant enough to find the answer, and especially, being man (or woman) enough to admit you were fooled. I admit, I was beginning to wonder, but that last video is well worth the 4:33 to view it.

In my eyes, your respectometer went up 5 fold.

Welcome to Space.com!

Wayne

K

kg

Just to make myself clear I ment that I was the one making the uneducated guess...

M

MeteorWayne

kg":cj432uxr said:
Just to make myself clear I ment that I was the one making the uneducated guess...

Which of course turned out to be correct :)

PS: Flare. Flair is what the TGIF bartenders do ;) :lol:

S

SpaceTas

It looks just like an out of focus reflection within the optics. It widens because Venus (most likely) is moving to the edge of the FOV. I've seen similar in the XMM/swift optical camera images, and occasionally in images from other optical telescopes.

B

bdewoody

I think an eruption that big emanating from Venus would have made headline news on every network and so far I have seen none.

M

MeteorWayne

Doesn't anyone read these these threads before commenting? The mystery was solved many posts ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts