?Very Old Movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jryle1234

This is a repeat of whats probabley an old thread.
What is your favorite pre 1970 SIFI movie?
Mine that I remember whould be; "Them", "It came from outer space" and one other, cheapy, the name of which I cant remember, where a young boy sees the alien ship land, nobody else sees it, he finaly finds them underground. There are lots of other details but at 67 I cant remember them?

:?:

S

starsinmyeyes44

Finding aliens underground reminds me of a 1960's science fiction movie that scared the bejeebers out of me when I saw it on TV as a pre-teen....."Five Million Years to Earth." If you haven't seen it, you should!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatermass ... _Pit_(film)

(The original title was "Quatermass and the Pit."

W

warpfactor999

The Day of the Triffids

When a meteor shower blinded just about everyone (that watched anyways) and the "seeds" grew into "trees" that could move (attracted by sound) and would consume people. The world was in anarchy....people were going nuts (and getting eaten!)..when finally it was discovered that this one element on the planet Earth would dissolve the Triffids...a classic!!!! I did not want to give up the ending for those who are unaware of this "film"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

jim48

As I recall the Quatermass movies were quite good, but at my age all the movies are old. :lol:

D

docm

"It! The Terror From Beyond Space" was the inspiration for "Alien".

I also liked "Forbidden Planet", "When Worlds Collide", "War Of The Worlds", "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and of course the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

A

a_lost_packet_

I'm just going to copy docm's answer.

docm":4uyp10if said:
"It! The Terror From Beyond Space" was the inspiration for "Alien".

I also liked "Forbidden Planet", "When Worlds Collide", "War Of The Worlds", "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and of course the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

Of those, I'd have to say "Forbidden Planet" is probably my all-time favorite. It's also the only movie I ever remember watching on television with my father.

(I'm not particularly fond of "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers" but, it's not important enough to edit it out of docm's list. :) )

Y

yevaud

Suits. The prior choices are great!

How's about, "Things to Come?" Awesome.

'Course, I am a fan of the old Buck Roger's, right down to the ships "flying" along, spitting sparks. RZZZZZZZZZZ :)

J

jryle1234

:? As best I can rember the aliens were putting something in the back of peoples necks to control them. No one of course believed the little boy, but he ended up saveing the world.
I am also a fan of the old Buck Rodgers serials.
Anyone know where to get dvd,s of them?
Of course the classic of them all was "Meteroplis(spell).:roll:

Z

ZenGalacticore

I'm sure all those sci-fi/horror flicks from the 50s were fun to watch at a drive-in though, good or bad. Wasn't there one called "The Blob", or was that a retitle of 'It'? Or maybe "It Came From Outer-Space"?

C

crazyeddie

ZenGalacticore":1eq0beu3 said:
I'm sure all those sci-fi/horror flicks from the 50s were fun to watch at a drive-in though, good or bad. Wasn't there one called "The Blob", or was that a retitle of 'It'? Or maybe "It Came From Outer-Space"?

Yeah, at the drive-in, the quality of the movie was of only secondary importance, from what I hear of those days...... :lol:

"The Blob" starred a young Steve McQueen, and was very different from "It Came From Outer Space", which starred Richard Carlson and Barbara Rush, with a screenplay by Ray Bradbury......the former was the epitome of a "B" movie, while the latter was a relatively high-budget production.

All were enjoyable to those of us who grew up watching them on "Science Fiction Theatre" every Saturday afternoon on TV in the 1960's.

D

doublehelix

Them! is great (Santa Claus was the doctor!).
The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
The original The Blob.
Fiend Without a Face.
Day of the Triffids.
Creature from the Black Lagoon.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
War of the Worlds

Z

ZenGalacticore

In Atlanta back in the 60s and very early 70s they all came on on Friday night on WTCG channel 17, Ted Turner's station that he bought and later transformed into TBS Superstation through the cable.

I forgot what they called it. Something similar to 'Sci-fi Theater'. After that it was 'Friday Night Frights' with all the old Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney flicks. (Frankenstein, Invisible Man, Bride of the Invisible Man, haha.) It was such a treat to get a few pizzas from Gigi's or Pizza Inn (remember those?) and invite a bunch of friends over. We had a blast, with no drugs or alcohol. Boy those were the days!

M

MeteorWayne

jryle1234":3mud8k23 said:
:? As best I can rember the aliens were putting something in the back of peoples necks to control them. No one of course believed the little boy, but he ended up saveing the world.

IIRC, that was called "Invaders from Mars" but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Y

yevaud

Not to forget, Robinson Crusoe on Mars. That was a pretty cool flick.

J

jim48

Not to forget Plan Nine From Outer Space. Well, okay. Forget it! :lol: At least Vampira was memorable and decades later Johnny Depp got to play Ed Wood and Martin Landau won an Oscar playing Bela Lugosi.

D

docm

yevaud":35t8k0id said:
Not to forget, Robinson Crusoe on Mars. That was a pretty cool flick.
Another of my all time favorites. Great with a capital G.

C

crazyeddie

Does anyone remember:

The Monolith Monsters!

After a short narrative prologue by Paul Frees (whose voice alone is always worth the price of admission), a meteorite crashes near the tiny California desert community of San Angelo (Universal SF meister director Jack Arnold had a hand in the story, so the tiny California desert community is a given*). Sometime later, Ben (Phil Harvey), a Doomed Geologist for the Department of the Interior, stops to water his overheated car near the impact site and notices all these cool pieces of a black, glassy, obsidian-like rock lying around. He appropriates a chunk and heads into town, not noticing that another chunk of rock upon which he spilled water is beginning to smoke ominously. This is also accompanied by that Universal library stock monster music that you've heard in a dozen movies, so we know that this is significant.

That night, a desert windstorm and an open window conspire to knock a beaker of water over onto the sample rock. Ben witnesses the rock begin to grow into an obsidian obelisk, that stock monster music plays, and we fade to black.

The next morning, Dave (Grant Williams), another DI geologist arrives and finds the office a wreck: there are pieces of black rock everywhere, and worst of all, his pal Ben has been turned to stone. The authorities, as ever, are baffled. Meantime, Dave's squeeze, the local schoolmarm Cathy (Lola Albright), is taking a bunch of kids into the desert for a field trip. As San Angelo has no museums or industries other than a salt mine, field trips apparently consist of turning the children loose in the desert. One of the children, Ginny (Linda Scheley), finds a piece of the black rock and takes it home. As her mother will not let her bring the "dirty thing" inside the house, Jenny washes it. MONSTER MUSIC! MONSTER MUSIC! MONSTER MUSIC!
:lol:

http://www.stomptokyo.com/badmovierepor ... olith.html

C

crazyeddie

And then there's my childhood favorite, that scared the bejesus out of me because you never see the monster until the very end of the movie!

The Crawling Eye (a.k.a. The Trollenberg Terror)

trollenberg_terror_01.jpg

J

jryle1234

:lol: ? and how may of you rember that a majority of the Music from the old movies ( sify, western, mistery etc.) came from Vagners 4 operas "The Ring Cycle" ? :lol:

J

jryle1234

:lol: As I Have mentioned before most of the music in the old movies is opera! :mrgreen:

A

a_lost_packet_

yevaud":1lmwof38 said:
Lest we forget, one of the best parts of those old flicks was the Theremin music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0zQHNmz0gU

I will guiltily admit that I spent quite a bit of time watching theremin instructional videos after watching your link. :) I'm sure there are shots for that problem...

On another note, I wondered what a theremin orchestra would sound like....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjlwEuREAbI[/youtube]

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.