Viewing Edwards landing opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

schriber

Well, it looks like there is a real possibility of an Edwards landing tomorrow morning. The base is closed but I'm thinking of heading up from San Diego anyway. <br /><br />As near as I can tell from the landing track, there should be a decent viewing opportunity from Highway 58 between Borax and Claymine exits.<br /><br />Anyone in Southern California interested in going?<br /><br />Mike<br />

S

schriber

Doh! Forgot one little detail... the first landing attempt is at 5:12AM and civil twilight doesn't start until 5:40am. That make it pretty unlikely that the orbiter will be visible.<br /><br />Maybe it's time to start running landing track calculations for viewing the plasma trail.<br /><br />Drat!<br /><br />Mike<br />

N

nacnud

This is a long shot but CCD video recorders work well in the near infra red. The shuttle should still be very hot from re-entry so you might be able to see some thing that way if you have a big enough lense....<br /><br />Maybe... er...

S

schriber

Yep... 5:12AM PDT (7:12AM CDT).<br /><br />Unless they decide to land when it's light on the second Edwards opportunity (not likely) I'm hosed.<br /><br />Looking at the clouds here in San Diego right now, a plasma trail view is also looking very iffy.<br /><br />Major bummer.<br /><br />Mike<br />

K

kdavis007

Then it sees like White Sands is going to be the place....

S

schriber

Nope... looks like Edwards. The clouds are here, it's perfect up there.<br /><br />Be nice if they could wait until orbit 120!<br /><br />Mike<br />

E

earth_bound_misfit

Alright then, lets place our bets. <br />I reckon KSC. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

I lost my bet! Its Edwards AFB! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

P

plasticman

Went right overhead (near Pasadena, CA) - bright lovely flight heard the double sonic boom - saw the S-turn over the mountains in the binocs and went in to see the touchdown seconds later - very sweet - congrats to NASA and the crew !

S

schriber

Well, I was right on two counts... they did land at Edwards and it was indeed pitch black.<br /><br />Maybe next time!<br /><br />Mike<br />

G

georgeniebling

I swear I *did* see one strobe on the top of the orbiter as it landed this morning .... looks perhaps like it was right behind the cargo bay doors and before the tail structure ....

G

georgeniebling

I also noticed that up until darn near main gear touchdown it was very difficult to see the orbiter and then suddenly the picture got *perfect* ... nearly like the lights got turned on ... <br /><br />now, I'm *not* trying to start a conspiracy theory but the first thought I had was ... oh hell, thats stock footage from a previous night landing ....<br /><br />yes, I know it wasn't ... so don't even go there ... but it was kinda funny to me at the time.<br /><br />Thank God Discovery made it home and may we all move forward now back to orbit and then beyond.<br /><br />I *did* hear one reporter on SRN Radio Network (KSKY 660 Dallas) who actually said that COLUMBIA landed successfully this AM .... oh but if it were so ....<br /><br />

G

georgeniebling

well kewlness! thanks for the info SG ... you did it again! :)

N

nacnud

It was probably very visable because those images were from an IR camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.