Voyager Interstellar Craft & DSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brellis

When the Voyager Mission was designed and built, did the Deep Space Network even exist? Or was DSN initially designed for communications with spacecraft like Pioneer?<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#ff0000"><em><strong>I'm a recovering optimist - things could be better.</strong></em></font> </p> </div>

B

brellis

http://www.spacetoday.org/SolSys/DeepSpaceNetwork/DeepSpaceNetwork.html<br /><br />First antenna in 1958 was named Pioneer, for the craft it was built to track. I'm still curious about how detailed the plans were for the Interstellar Phase. They knew Voyager had a clear shot out of the Solar System, but they must have also known that they would have to build stronger receivers to maintain communication at 94 AU!<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#ff0000"><em><strong>I'm a recovering optimist - things could be better.</strong></em></font> </p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

Canberra (Tidbinbilla) tracking station came very close to being destroyed when bush fire decimated Canberra on the 18th of Jan 2003. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

E

earth_bound_misfit

But waits theres more... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts