What is in a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zarnic

We have all heard of the Apollo, the Gemini, and the Voyager flights, even such names as Cassini and Chandra are familiar and of course some of the acronyms, like NEAR or COBE ... but I can't help but wonder how the name gets created, perhaps there is some sort of spec for a use-type relationship. I even recently read of a satellite called Aqua. There are artificial and natural satellites, missions, landers, planets, etc. and they all have names but ... who decides? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles.</em> A. Van Buren, 1978<br />* <em>An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.</em>  -- according to Van Roy</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>We have all heard of the Apollo, the Gemini, and the Voyager flights, even such names as Cassini and Chandra are familiar and of course some of the acronyms, like NEAR or COBE ... but I can't help but wonder how the name gets created, perhaps there is some sort of spec for a use-type relationship. I even recently read of a satellite called Aqua. There are artificial and natural satellites, missions, landers, planets, etc. and they all have names but ... who decides? <br />Posted by zarnic</DIV><br /><br />Those who spend the money, just like the rest of life,</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Those who spend the money, just like the rest of life,&nbsp; <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>The Golden Rule:&nbsp; He who has the gold makes the rules.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Z

zarnic

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Those who spend the money, just like the rest of life,&nbsp; <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV> and Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The Golden Rule:&nbsp; He who has the gold makes the rules. <br />Posted by DrRocket</DIV><br />&nbsp;both seem to say the same thing without really answering the question but then perhaps there is no answer.&nbsp; I had thought that a select group made the decisions, like the way Pluto's status as a planet was decided, after all Uranus was once called Hershell.&nbsp; Oh, well.&nbsp; :( <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles.</em> A. Van Buren, 1978<br />* <em>An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.</em>  -- according to Van Roy</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.